• 1 Post By JimsCAL
  • 1 Post By chris95040
  • 1 Post By Zarathu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter
C25/B235/F39'noob'

fixing thrashed roller furling?

hi all

I can't post images yet, but my C25 (standard rig, fin keel) got caught out in a storm last fall, the jib whipped free, and the furling drum got pulled off its mount and batted around for a few hours

I am trying to figure out if it's fixable, or must be replaced

(there is a new (used) jib for sale in my area I am looking at)

but how can I assess whether this furler still works?

anyone have a link to furling technology 101? I am used to hank-on jibs (the Catalina was a recent acquisition last year)

IF the 'spring function is toast, is there any way to use the existing drum as a 'manual' furler, with maybe 2 lines? I want to be able to sail as-is, until I can buy and install the new sail/furler

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-21-2016

Re: fixing thrashed roller furling?

Absolutely impossible to give you any suggestions without pictures and make and model of the furler. I am confused by the "spring function" you say is toast. Most furlers work by releasing the furling line and then pulling on the jib sheet to unfurl the sail. To furl, you release the jib sheet and pull on the furling line which rotates the drum and wraps the sail around the foil attached to the headstay. Some furlers have a single line (like my Harken) and other have a continuous loop.
rbpsnc likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpsnc View Post
hi all

I can't post images yet, but my C25 (standard rig, fin keel) got caught out in a storm last fall, the jib whipped free, and the furling drum got pulled off its mount and batted around for a few hours

I am trying to figure out if it's fixable, or must be replaced

(there is a new (used) jib for sale in my area I am looking at)

but how can I assess whether this furler still works?

anyone have a link to furling technology 101? I am used to hank-on jibs (the Catalina was a recent acquisition last year)

IF the 'spring function is toast, is there any way to use the existing drum as a 'manual' furler, with maybe 2 lines? I want to be able to sail as-is, until I can buy and install the new sail/furler

thanks!
Doubt there is a spring. You just trade which thing is wound up, the furling line in the drum, or the sail itself. No magic automation.

When the sail is furled:
The sail is wound up, the furling line is unwound. To unfurl the sail, simply uncleat your furling line and pull on a jib sheet to unwind the sail. While the furler rotates (as the sail unwinds), the furling line will wind up in the drum.

When the sail is unfurled:
The sail is unwound, the furling line is wound up in the drum. To furl the sail, simply unwind the furling line by pulling on it. While the furler rotates (as the line unwinds), the sail will wind up on the furler.
rbpsnc likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2016

This doesn't help your current problem.

I bought a set of large pipe bands that screw tight. I covered them in tubing so they didn't have a sharp edge. I bought a Black and Decker electric screw driver at Walmart for 10 bucks. Before a tropical storm that went through my mooring, I wrapped the roller furling tight and then put one of these bands above the line warp and one below. Then I wrapped the whole business in saranwrap. There were others who had their roller furling come unglued. Mine had no issues at all.

I did the same for the boom. With the tight wrapping of the pipe bands, and the saran wrap, there was nothing for the wind to catch, and the wind just blew by it.

Saran wrap is very strong and forms a very tight bond to itself.
rbpsnc likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter
C25/B235/F39'noob'

that's pretty smart, Zarathu

OK, so let me see if I understand this:

- there is a normal SS wire headstay inside of the whole furler/foil contraption;

- that afixes normally to the head of the mast and the bow strap, is not supposed to twist, and is tuned like a regular stay?

- the foil (which is just a long rectangular-section plastic strip that captures the leading edge of the jib), and the furler (which is just a plastic cylinder to spool the furling line on), turn together *around* the headstay, winding the jib?

- the bottom of the furler is an aluminum drum, which remains stationary with the headstay, and simply directs the furling line to the spool?

- so IF the drum/fittings are sound; and IF the foil & furler turn easily around the stay; and nothing is obviously broken, THEN this thing might still work?

I assume you have to disassemble the whole deal to check for any fraying of the wire, cracked parts, etc

I have to switch sails anyway (foot got shredded in the blow) - does the whole thing have to be pulled apart anyway to swap jibs?

thanks for the tutorial, guys
post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter
C25/B235/F39'noob'

let's see if they let me attach these...
Attached Thumbnails
furler1.jpg   furler2.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/c25-250/257178-fixing-thrashed-roller-furling.html
Posted By For Type Date
fixing thrashed roller furling? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 06-21-2016 05:16 PM