Catalina 25 Swing Keel - Keel Question - SailNet Community
C25 and 250 For Catalina 25 and 250 owners

3Likes
  • 3 Post By cb32863

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Catalina 25 Swing Keel - Keel Question

I have a '77 Catalina 25 with swing keel. The keel is deeply pitted and I wish to prep for painting. Did the keel originally have an epoxy barrier or some sort of filler? What is the best way to fair and finish the keel for freshwater use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago
Lake Sailor

Re: Catalina 25 Swing Keel - Keel Question

Well, I am working on my keel right now in my driveway. Here is what I have done and what I plan to do, I am on a freshwater lake myself.

Get an angle grinder if you don't already have one. Use 80 grit flap discs to get everything off. I used a paint remover also to get the paint off that was stubborn and did a wee bit of scraping. I then put the recommended 2 coats of POR-15 over the entire keel, as best I could. Its on a trailer so, yeah, some spots underneath not so much. This stuff will bond to the rust, you need to use their metal prep as well before applying. Now comes the faring part, if you need to. I probably do not and time is getting short so I am not going to. Probably sanding is in my future. I have had people tell me to use West System epoxy, which I have, and their 410 filler. It is lighter and easier to sand after it kicks off. Use that to fair your rough spots. Then use a random orbital sander with 80 grit discs to sand it smooth. Do this until you are good or absolutely sick of being under your boat. Then apply the epoxy paint, I am using Interlux. Up to five coats of this with at least 3 hours in between coats. 2 day job. After this you put on your bottom paint. As much as you would like and what ever you would like. I am doing VC-17 cause I race and like spending a lot more than I should on my boat.

So that is what you have in store for yourself. A lot of work, a wee bit of $$ but, what price glory, right?

Good luck. I am sure others have other ideas as well.

Also, have the proper protective gear as well. Something to breath through, I have a 3M 6001 mask. Got it before all the crazy started. Safety gogs, and clothes you are OK with tossing when you are done, decent gloves too.
SHNOOL, Barquito and Robert Ward like this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cb32863; 1 Week Ago at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I guess another 6 to 8 hours under my boat on a trailer is in the future. This may become my Winter 2021 project.

post #4 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago
Barquito

I wonder if a barrier coat over the fairing coat would be overkill?

Valiant 32

Tags
swing keel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in