C27 Catalina 27 Owners Group Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 02-12-2018
Banned

Re: Cat 27 gulf sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian#2 View Post
Good info Smak. I don't intend on being a hundred miles out, but much closer in. & yes will pick my windows. I thought you might have researched to stops at Stienhatchee or others just in case the unexpected happened & you needed a port in the storm or otherwise.

But a Miller HL in a BFS snuggy & plastic wine glasses?..How IKEA.
Hell yeah! I embrace my inner Viking.

I didn't research any bailouts for that run from Panama City. There really wasn't much due to the shallowness of the area - and we were just going to go. I felt very comfortable with our Hunter off shore. And honestly, besides that big front we got hit by in the video - and though it was definitely sporty out there - there was nothing that a well-found Catalina 27 couldn't handle. It just wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable and "assured" as it was on our H40.

Now - it's Miller Time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-2018

What Smack said. Be really sure your boat is in good shape. On the C27 pay extra attention to the chainplates that go through the deck and bolt onto the bulkheads (be sure that the wood they bolt to is sound and there's no corrosion on the metal). Also the attachments for the lowers on the deck - if yours have not been upgraded, do it. Catalina Direct sells two versions. I think the one with the U-bolts is the stouter of the two but it may change the shroud length which you'd need a rigger to deal with. The other point I was warned about is the spreader sockets. Apparently the original cast aluminum ones can fail without warning. There is a stainless upgrade that is easy to do if you have the mast down.

Good sailing boats though. Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to danvon For This Useful Post:
488810 (02-13-2018)
post #13 of 15 Old 02-13-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all the input. I'll stick to the bays and the ICW for now.

post #14 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have a 115% headsail on mine. When the wind pipes up above about 18kts I put a reef in the main. Shes really happy with a single reef in the main and the jib all the way out. When it gets up to 25kts or so, I start furling in the jib but then start to loose pointing ability.
Being able to reef easily underway (and actually doing it when it gets windy) has helped me get a lot more comfortable with my C27 and to take it on longer trips.
post #15 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Since I posted this, I took her out many times. I recently upgraded to a h34, and love it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in