Question: Topping lift for boom - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2017 Thread Starter

Thumbs up Question: Topping lift for boom

On the Catalina 30, where does the topping lift for the boom attach when you are sailing?

I'm not seeing an obvious place to attach it to the mast. Or is it supposed to stay attached to the boom while sailing?

Last edited by windyfun; 10-31-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2017

Re: Question: Topping lift for boom

Don't know about where to secure the detached topping lift on your boat. I've always solved the problem by not detaching it. Slack it off so that it's just loose with the main sheeted in hard and all has been fine. If it's a wire topping lift, might consider replacing with a single braid exotic line of the same diameter as the wire. No problems with chafe on the leach with line instead of wire.
MarkofSeaLife and windyfun like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
windyfun (10-29-2017)
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2017

What year? Mine is an '85 and the topping lift is wire attached to the top of the mast but then has a 20-25' section of line the turns through a block at the aft end of the boom and cleats mid-way forward on the port side of the boom. Once the main it up, I ease the topping lift enough to let the sail take the weight but keep the wire from chafing the leech. Before the sail comes down, l take up on the lift to support the boom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
windyfun likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbain For This Useful Post:
windyfun (10-29-2017)

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2017

Lots of different ways to rig the TL.. some here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=toppi...w=1920&bih=925

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
windyfun (10-29-2017)
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't know about where to secure the detached topping lift on your boat. I've always solved the problem by not detaching it. Slack it off so that it's just loose with the main sheeted in hard and all has been fine. If it's a wire topping lift, might consider replacing with a single braid exotic line of the same diameter as the wire. No problems with chafe on the leach with line instead of wire.
Thanks! It's a wire topping lift, but it's coated in plastic to reduce chafing. Interesting idea about replacing it with a single braid exotic line to reduce chafing. Any idea which will reduce chafing more: the line or the plastic coated wire?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbain View Post
What year? Mine is an '85 and the topping lift is wire attached to the top of the mast but then has a 20-25' section of line the turns through a block at the aft end of the boom and cleats mid-way forward on the port side of the boom. Once the main it up, I ease the topping lift enough to let the sail take the weight but keep the wire from chafing the leech. Before the sail comes down, l take up on the lift to support the boom.
She's a 1977. The topping lift is plastic-coated wire. The lower end of the topping lift is attached to the aft end of the boom with a quick-release shackle.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyfun View Post
Thanks! It's a wire topping lift, but it's coated in plastic to reduce chafing. Interesting idea about replacing it with a single braid exotic line to reduce chafing. Any idea which will reduce chafing more: the line or the plastic coated wire?
If the plastic cover is intact and in good condition, you'd probably gain little by going to a line topping lift. If it is starting to deteriorate, the line will be a big improvement with virtually no chafe issues. Two reasons, besides the softness of the line, that an exotic rope topping causes less chafe is that it doesn't flail around like wire and is often blown away from the sail because it is so light.

Dyneema single braid from Defender is cheap and splicing is supposedly very easy though I've never done it. Marine Amsteel / AS-78
windyfun likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
windyfun (10-29-2017)
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyfun View Post
She's a 1977. The topping lift is plastic-coated wire. The lower end of the topping lift is attached to the aft end of the boom with a quick-release shackle.

Could you stow it on the backstay with a small tied on loop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
windyfun likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbain For This Useful Post:
windyfun (10-29-2017)
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbain View Post
Could you stow it on the backstay with a small tied on loop?
I'll have to take a look. The backstay is adjustable, so I'm not sure if there would be an appropriate point at which to attach the topping lift.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2017

The topping lift is just to lift the boom off your top-ping,. It serves no other purpose that I'm aware so any line of sufficient strength would do. Originally mine went through the end of the boom and exited out the side and was cleated off there. I changed that so now it is attached to the end of the boom, and is adjusted from the cockpit. When sailing, I loosen it some, enough so it won't affect sail shape. If you don't loosen it, you'll be frustrated until you figure it out or until your boom snaps while you're cranking on the main sheet swearing at the sail for not trimming properly. But, do you have a vang? We had a boom kicker and a vang on our 25 footer. Got rid of the topping lift completely. Worked well.
Faster and windyfun like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in