Raising the mainsail - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

Re: Raising the mainsail

I went through all the measures to reduce friction... but it's impossible to get it low enough... to raise the sail... even with the 2 reefing lines slacked... I abandoned the single line reefing as I have enough line stoppers under the dodger for 2 reefs. I too don't have the ability to use a large handle under the dodger but I was leading the halyard to a more free genoa winch.

The tell was dropping the main in almost any wind bow to the eye of the wind... the sail out not drop on its own. This sail is quite heavy too.... so the friction is there even with some assist from the wind. I still keep the track clean and lubricated.... but Millie seems to be strong enough the get it up bow to the wind.

Dousing we (I if alone) do on AP motoring slowly into wind pulling the sail down (easily) from the mast. The Dutchman is great for keeping things neat and flaking the sail on the boom. All I need is one or two ties really to keep it neat and I just wrap the reefing lines around the sail at the aft end and shove them into a flake / fold at the mast. No friction from reefing lines.

Maybe what we need is a self dispensing lubricating slide so every time the sail goes up of down the track is lubricated... Someone needs to invent this!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

The main should drop on its own. In my mind kind of an important safet feature. Sounds like something is still wrong. Good luck.
RichH likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #33 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

Maybe what we need is a self dispensing lubricating slide so every time the sail goes up of down the track is lubricated... Someone needs to invent this!
Consider to insert a 'pencil' of paraffin - a whittled paraffin (candle with wick pulled out) rod/cylinder - between the top two mast track slugs. This will help 'lubricate' the mast track every time you raise or lower the mainsail.

post #34 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

RichH,

I’ve done that myself. It helped and is a good suggestion.

But in my case the real culprit was the mast top sheave.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #35 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
We had single line reefing installed about 5 yrs ago and had the reef lines and main halyard brought back to the cockpit. However, the new winch was close enough to the dodger that we could only use a short winch handle. Even with Karver blocks at the reefing clews and tacks on the main, the friction was significant and it took tolerable—but significant—effort to reef.

So, when Defender had a substantial rebate on a Winchrite “cordless winch handle”, we went for it. What a great product! It uses a brushless DC motor, has 2 speeds, and has both 12V and 120V chargers for the Li-ion battery. I haven’t tried to drill holes with it, though.

I had previously considered swapping out the manual winch for an electric winch, but the cost and intrusion into the cabin were significant negative factors. The Winchrite electric winch handle has been everything we needed for far less than a permanent electric winch. We could use it on other winches, but haven’t needed to.
+1 on the winchrite. I've had mine 4 years and love it. My boat is a 2 masted 43' cat ketch with full batons and heavy roach. Both sails equal sized. Even after sorting friction and frequent lubing raising sails is daunting for this 65 year old. The winchrite makes the job a couple minutes 2 finger task. The really nice thing is, no mod to the boat. I can grind up the sails same as always if the mood strikes me.
SanderO likes this.
post #36 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

And this is how I feel about the electric windlass with chain... all I do is press the foot switch! Never a second thought to move or reset or whatever..... no physical work involved anymore.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #37 of 37 Old 11-16-2017

Crewed on a Cat 30 a number of times. No solution other than to suggest checking for worn sail sail slides, then go up the mast for a look. The main shouldn't be near that hard to raise.
To be brutally honest your wife probably weighs more than I do! I'm short and scrawny and I can raise the main until I need to tension it with the winch.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Tags
catalina , catalina-30 , halyard , mainsail , winch

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in