C-36 Window Shades - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2015 Thread Starter

C-36 Window Shades

Does anyone know where to find window shades that would match the hardware mounting pattern shown in the attached images. We've looked around on the web, but haven't found anything definitive yet.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
window-01.jpg   window-02.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2016

Re: C-36 Window Shades

Take a look at Catalina Direct. They sell an accordian pleat shade which looks like it might fit.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2016

The OEM pleated shades in Catalinas were made by a company called Odyssey Sails in Newport Beach, they also supplied Catalina Direct and several other chandleries. Unfortunately they went out of business a few years ago, the closest now available are from Oceanaire, these are the shades now sold by most chandleries.
SKYSOL Pleatedshade | Oceanair

"Just call me TB"

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2016

Hi Jack,

I think I may be able to help you out.

I had a 1996 C36 MkII, Catharsis, that I sold in 2014. When I first bought the boat in 2004, I ordered new pleated window shades directly from Catalina to replace the mildewy ones that came with the boat . Sadly, I never got around to installing them, as sailing always seemed to take priority over another project.

I was going to give the shades to the new owner of the boat, but he was such a dink at the 11th hour of negotiations that I decided to hang on to them, as well as to a number of other freebies I was going to include. Let that be a lesson for those who grind too hard for a boat priced fairly. (And yes I hope the new owner is reading this.)

The shades are new, untouched, and still in the shipping tube from Catalina. They have been sitting in the corner of my office since the day I got them. I'll have to check my records as to what I paid, but I certainly have every incentive to be fair.

Where are you located? I'm in Boston. I could send you pictures if you wish.

Joe
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2016

Get a sewing machine, and make a nice set of curtains.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2016

I have a 1986 mk I which has fabric curtains that I hate. I am going to replace them with pleated shades as shown in the Catalina Direct catalog but..... no way am I going to pay that much per shade so your question has come at a good time for me to do the research. If you are not handy then read no further. I think I have found the material at Lowes. It is polyester and comes 36" wide by 72" tall for $8.97. Enough for 5-6 of the larger ports. It looks like the snaps and the tool/dies to set them are available at Sailrite. The cost would depend on how many you need and whether or not you already have the pop rivet tool. If the product at Lowes looks like it will work,( I'll find out when I go there tomorrow,) then you should be able to make your shades for less than $100. This is what I intend to do because frankly I can't find anything else I like at a price I'm willing to pay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in