looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
Sounds like this motor has missing parts like: water pump, maybe has the alt/generator/starter (all one unit). You should ask for pictures. I'd be cautious about the 'I've never run this motor' comment. Depending on how it was kept and stored.
sounds like it's just missing the pump. if it's close enough that you could look at it, i would trust your judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 348 Old 11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
santa going up the chimney....you have some great sayings. i have read that they are supposed to be really reliable. there are also suposed to be some things you can o to get more power. supposed to be simple to work on. unfortunately, pollution is a part of 2 stroke. that's why they aren't street legal.
Agreed - I certainly don't 'ooo' and 'ahh' at the rainbow in the water the way my daughter does while the engine warms up. I feel badly I'm contributing to pollution entering my lake. But, something I am working to remedy.

If I were in your shoes with a 1st season boat, I would definitely consider the bolt and play option of the VIRE. Less time, less money, more opportunity to learn about your boat till your ready to switch it out.
christian.hess likes this.
post #123 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Jack ~ If you get the chance, take a pic of your engine compartment and I can try and tell you what you're missing if anything at all.
ok. will do. thanks. i'm definately missing one thing...the motor

post #124 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll keep notes on how the engine transfer goes. Seems as though all I'll need to do is glass in some new mounts and everything should match up. I'll let you know how this continues to develop.
yeah. i'd be interested to find out how it works out.
post #125 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Agreed - I certainly don't 'ooo' and 'ahh' at the rainbow in the water the way my daughter does while the engine warms up. I feel badly I'm contributing to pollution entering my lake. But, something I am working to remedy.

If I were in your shoes with a 1st season boat, I would definitely consider the bolt and play option of the VIRE. Less time, less money, more opportunity to learn about your boat till your ready to switch it out.
that's what i am thinking. actually, i haven't used a motor in 17 years of sailing. i can't imagine i will be using it a lot, now.
post #126 of 348 Old 11-20-2013

tends to happen that way with old things huh?(looks like some posts got in, oops, regarding the 2gm) yes my 2gm was diesel...fwc with a nice heat exchanger and all the bling panel etc...its part of the reason I bought this particualr wooden boat to start cruising on...I had a lot if issues with the diesel being on this boat not bad things about the 2gm...

for one I had a lot of water ingress, either by waves splashing...leaking decks and or the bridgedeck(it was awesome to sleep on in the cold however) the stuffing box was at an angle and alignment had to be made every so often...then when refueling at sea with jerry cans the boat had to be still or sailing at a very mild angle...cause we once had water splash onto the filler and it crapped out 1 injector...which we cleaned up in puerto vallarta...it was a nightamre as mechanics wanted to charge sport fishing prices...after cleaning up and a huge puff of black smoke she was back to perfect

we also suffered from the alternator frying out...its expensive as the regulator is part of the windings on the back so you have to replace everything much like a modern car alternator...

other than that it was a weekly ritual to get water out of the fuel filters...I had to prime the diesel(not a problem since they have a nice manual lever to do so with like new kubotas) every so often after hard sailing angles and last but not least I had corrosion issues all because the engine was so exposed on a wooden boat so painting often and rotten high pressures lines made a mess...

I had one leak on me(high pressure feed line) and it soaked all the damn wood in the engine compartment...all I needed was a potent fart and I would of had a nice fire to remember my boat by...jajaja!

we had one made here in el salvador(at a truck shop) other than that great pros about the engine are:

nice fuel efficiency(cruising rpms you get 1/4 gallon and hour or so)
you have a decomp release mechanism on both cyclinders meaning yu can hand start or start the engine with a very low battery(this was a monthly ocurrence for me when anchored out)
air filter can is easy to clean and service
you can hand start
its a nice engine to work on and has plenty of oomph for most boats up to 32-35 feet

I had the 18hp version not the 15 or 16hp older version.

cheers

Last edited by christian.hess; 11-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.
post #127 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

lol. it took me a while to figure out what post you were responding to. that WAS a few posts ago.
christian.hess likes this.
post #128 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

what about jib track cars? i am missing one. is it possible to find a match for the one i have? haven't seen one on line, yet. looked at west marine, ebay, and a general google search
post #129 of 348 Old 11-20-2013
One of None

you won't find it online but if you go to Bacon Sails in Annapolis they have a barrel full of old ones. I found 2 tracks years ago for my hunter 23 when I was upgrading it for a genoa.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #130 of 348 Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter

cool. thanks. that's exactly what i need.

once i inventory these sails, i will need to go there, anyhow.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-20-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in