looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 348 Old 11-15-2013 Thread Starter

Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
Yeah - The topping lift is super nice; especially when you bring the main down. Whats keeping your boom up now? I think sooner or later you will need to de-mast to have a look at your steaming lights and blocks at the top of the mast. Mine needed serious cleaning and steaming lights needed to be reworked. But, I think If you plan it correctly, you can do it all at once. I run three sheets. Main, Jib, and Spinnaker.
there is a line coming off of the backstay. it's about a foot long and has a clip on it. it works, at the dock, but i think it would be very little help on the water. going tomorrow to work on the boat. going to get what is there in order, first. then take needed measurements and plot the next leg of the journey.

seriously thinking about a composting head. any opinions abut them? from what i have read, so far, there are a lot of people that love them, one or two that didn't, and a number of people that don't like the idea.

one thing, totally at your liesure, do you think you could snap a pic of the V berth, specifcally the ceiling?

Last edited by captain jack; 11-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 348 Old 11-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
there is a line coming off of the backstay. it's about a foot long and has a clip on it. it works, at the dock, but i think it would be very little help on the water. ?
I have the very same thing! But I FREAKING hate it. Bouncing around and trying to get that thing on the boom in bouncing waves suck marbles in a greased up bath tub.

going tomorrow to work on the boat. going to get what is there in order, first. then take needed measurements and plot the next leg of the journey.

Quote:
seriously thinking about a composting head. any opinions abut them? from what i have read, so far, there are a lot of people that love them, one or two that didn't, and a number of people that don't like the idea.
I'll be looking to see how you do this. I think that would be the best solutions. I simply have no knowledge or experience with that.

Quote:
one thing, totally at your liesure, do you think you could snap a pic of the V berth, specifcally the ceiling?
You got it. However; there's nothing really notable going on there; quite unremarkable. lol just a ceiling. Anything specific you're looking for? Just so I can add value to the pic I take. :O)
post #43 of 348 Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the very same thing! But I FREAKING hate it. Bouncing around and trying to get that thing on the boom in bouncing waves suck marbles in a greased up bath tub.
that is truly funny. never heard that one before. my holiday 20 has a topping lift and i think it's great. i watch a lot of daysailers dealing with a drooping mast as they bend the sail on or off. it makes me glad for the topping lift. lol.

Quote:
I'll be looking to see how you do this. I think that would be the best solutions. I simply have no knowledge or experience with that.
all my research, so far, points to it being a great option. it's a matter of affording it, though. can't forget that. even if i do, my wallet is more than happy to remind me.

Quote:
You got it. However; there's nothing really notable going on there; quite unremarkable. lol just a ceiling. Anything specific you're looking for? Just so I can add value to the pic I take. :O)
i just want to see if there is an actual 'ceiling', which is missing, or if it's just the underside of the deck. it's pretty bare, up there, and if it's missing anything, i want to know so i can make the missing things and install them.

post #44 of 348 Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter

interesting question: my holiday has a hinged mast step. how do you de-mast this boat?
MichaelAngel442 likes this.
post #45 of 348 Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
that is truly funny. never heard that one before. my holiday 20 has a topping lift and i think it's great. i watch a lot of daysailers dealing with a drooping mast as they bend the sail on or off. it makes me glad for the topping lift. lol.
LOL Those young bucks bring smiles to us that appreciate age, experience, and wallets that aren't shy to scream "Enough Bro!". I love it I tell you!! LOL
post #46 of 348 Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
interesting question: my holiday has a hinged mast step. how do you de-mast this boat?
Its not pretty ~ However, not an effort without rewards. Remove shrouds (upper and lowers), back stay (you are SOOOO spoiled by that adjustable back~stay), forestay, and that baby will detach. Remember to have 6 grown men, a 7 year old, and a puppy on hand. Then, you will get the opportunity to see what's under that mast. I hope someone was thoughtful enough to have a dollar under there. If not; make certain you have a dollar ready to pop under there when the mast gets back on there. NOTE: Have any NEW wiring ready to pull back through here. I screwed up and I should have installed deck lights and charting wiring ready. I didn't. So, I have a de-mast scheduled for the spring. A $400 oversight as that what I need to pay locally.. blahhhh...

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-16-2013 at 12:43 AM.
post #47 of 348 Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter

if everything aloft ends up functioning correctly, i may put that de-masting on hold til it has to be done. if i ever do it, i will install a real topping lift. is it possible to use a bosun's chair to go aloft?
post #48 of 348 Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
if everything aloft ends up functioning correctly, i may put that de-masting on hold til it has to be done. if i ever do it, i will install a real topping lift. is it possible to use a bosun's chair to go aloft?
Absolutely! I've made the journey several times. Verify your life insurance and head on up! The view is great!!
post #49 of 348 Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter

ok. useful day, today. I got the boat cleaned up and organized quite a bit, with my GF's help. I got the life lines on the port side in good repair. I got the ones on the starboard right, except for one post that needs replaced. the boat is swept free of all the trash and stuff. I scraped some paint and took a lot of measurements of things that I need to make.

the V berth door is only missing on the starboard side. I have the port side to use as a guide in making the other one.

the boat has a manual bilge pump in that storage compartment in the starboard bench, in the cockpit. I have no idea if it works because there is no water to pump out. I am thinking about taking it apart and making sure the insides are good.

the propeller shaft was used to plug the hole. it does not turn. in fact, it's got a rubber sleeve over where it passes through the hull and that is hose clamped in.

so, either i will glass it shut ( i don't like that plug. looks sketchy to me ) or i will do an inboard but i will have to get a new shaft and, probably, a propeller, too.

i have a few questions for you. i will have some pics after i get done eating dinner.
post #50 of 348 Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
the propeller shaft was used to plug the hole. it does not turn. in fact, it's got a rubber sleeve over where it passes through the hull and that is hose clamped in.
Sound normal... btw the prop shaft ALWAYS 'plugs the hole'.. we hope At this point I suppose you don't know if the prop is still on the shaft?

Look kinda like this? (right side of the picture?)

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in