Cal 33-2 Question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2017 Thread Starter

Cal 33-2 Question

I've been looking at a couple of Cal 33-2's that are for sale. Seems like a nice boat. Is there an active owners group? One concern I have before pulling the trigger is having experienced owners to bounce issues off of. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone could share any particular concerns with the boat that would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2017
al brazzi

Re: Cal 33-2 Question

I don't know the Boat but a quick google search looks really good, I like the engine access and double aft berth reminds me of my boat
post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2017
Learning the HARD way...

I know the boat well, and looked at several of them.

Engine access is great, and they sail well. My biggest dislike is with the "U" shaped salon settee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2017

I own one. It's a 1985, hull #35. I've owned it since 2009 and am the 4th owner. It's a great mid-sized racer/cruiser. Well made, excellent sailing boat, fast for her size and vintage (PHRF of 132), nice spacious interior. As was mentioned, engine access is excellent. Note there are two versions - deep keel and shoat keel. I have the shoal keel version (4'8") and am very happy with it. You give up surprisingly little upwind performance and has none of the potential problems of a keel-centerboard boat.

No unique issues to the boat that I am aware of. It is now a 30 year old boat, so all the age related problems can pop up. Deck is cored, but hull is solid glass. Chainplate design is great, with rods that tie into the structural grid. and easy to check U bolts that go through the deck.

And I actually like the U-shaped dinette. Remove the back cushions and it makes the best berth on the boat. If I was to do it all over, I would buy a Cal 33-2 again.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for responses. Is anyone aware of an owner's association or usergroup?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSOS View Post
Thanks for responses. Is anyone aware of an owner's association or usergroup?

There is a CAL user group: [email protected]

I have a CAL 31. Encapsulated Keel, solid fiberglass hull, something other than wood core on the top (don't recall, but good stuff). CAL's, especially the later models seem especially well built.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2017

My dockmate has one. Nice boat, roomy below and sails well. Only negative the owner told me is that the bow tends to oilcan in a chop.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter

How big a deal is oil canning? I assume boat it pretty unlikely to just shatter. Really just an annoyance or concern about impacting joints?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-23-2017

Quote:
How big a deal is oil canning? I assume boat it pretty unlikely to just shatter. Really just an annoyance or concern about impacting joints?
I've never experienced it. And I've been in some rough seas. The Cal 33-2 hull is pretty solid.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 08-23-2017 at 06:27 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-2017

Quote:
Bashing around South Cape Cod ... it was enough of an issue that I had my yard core the vberth topsides. It was in no danger of failing, but did show signs of stress cracking at the vberth / hull joint and definitely oil-canned in the slop.

Note that a Cal 33-2 did the 2016 Bermuda 1-2.

Things I don't like ...

- the oil-canning (fixed).

- the angular deck design has many sharp edges and corners that are more prone to voids, stress cracks, and hurt more when you run into them. Its a really dumb way to mold a deck.

- The U shaped starboard settee and fixed table. Would rather a straight berth, bulkhead hung table to get it out of the way, and a fore/aft nav table w/ seat.

- I've had wet balsa in the immediate vicinity of the all of the deck hatches and at least the forward legs of the pushpit. Not a lot of care taken by the builder to seal the core at the penetration points.

The pros

- great sailing boat. Shoal draft goes surprising well upwind. Sails well to its PHRF rating with a good bottom and sails.

- strong engine with great access.

- stout Isomat rig.

- good headroom.

- large vberth.

I've owned an 86 for nearly 20 years now. It still fits my requirements.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in