Cal 2-27 advice please - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-14-2017 Thread Starter

Cal 2-27 advice please

Hello, after being on the search for a boat, I cam across a Cal 2-27. I like the boat and of course there are a few things that I found that I should think about before buying.

Moderate water stain coming down under the mast and down the bulkhead. (Probably the wiring coming from the mast.) Just enough to cause the veneer to start to come loose at the top of the headliner. It doesn't seem soft in the area.

Anyone have a Cal 2-27 and ran into this? I know it can be fixed, but might there be huge problems related to this? I've read someplace about "beam rot" being a problem on the 29, not sure if this applies on the 27. Although I believe they were similar built.

I have tried looking up info for this boat online, and it doesn't seem to have much info on the forum for this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-18-2018

Re: Cal 2-27 advice please

For anyone searching on this model, I'll respond to this very old post (I'm just logging back in after a long layaway due to moving).

I had this problem on my Cal 2-27. It was strictly cosmetic, but was exactly as you describe: staining and some damaged veneer. The wood post under the mast could conceivably start to rot if a boat was laid up for a long time and not maintained at all, but that didn't happen to mine.

You are exactly right that the problem was caused by wiring. I fixed mine when I had the mast unstepped for re-rigging. I sealed the original wiring holes and re-located the through-deck fitting to outside the mast. The wiring is now contained in a transparent nylon hose that comes through the deck and enters the mast through an existing slot near the base.

I've owned this boat since 2012 and I'm happy to field any other questions. It has worked well for me and I've had no desire to replace it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in