Any Cal 22 Owners? - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 160 Old 10-13-2018
MG-Sailor

Re: Any Cal 22 Owners?

Sweet! Congrat's on the boat.
I have a 4 1/2 Yamaha long shaft. More than enough for me. I was shopping around earlier looking at larger Honda's. $$$ I was able to get the one that came with boat repaired. I have a little more invested in the motor repair than I wanted. For now I am good. I have only been working on the boat. I have not sailed it yet. Target is the spring. I will only use the battery for Garmin speed and depth and a very occasional steaming light. A battery charge goes a long way. I will charge at the dock if needed. The boat came with a Yamaha rectifier. I have not used it to charge the battery. If you are going to need to charge frequently, you look at that option in lieu of an alternator.

I have a lot of projects planned and some major ones completed. Stay tuned.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 10-13-2018

Send a message via Yahoo to SleddingSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
SleddingSailor

Without technical details, how do you add an alternator to an outboard?
If you check the specifications under most if not all 5/6 hp outboards, there is a dealer installed alternator option available. Most are 400 dollars part without installation .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 160 Old 10-18-2018

SleddingSailor

I did some on-line searching regarding optional alternators that you suggested were available. All I can find is the 6 to 10 amp charging circuits which typically put out about 3 or 4 amps at cruising speed...this is hardly adequate for running even modest systems for any extended cruising. Is this what you are calling an alternator or is there something else? I don't see how a proper alternator could be mounted under an outboard cowling, that is why I asked the question.

post #154 of 160 Old 12-05-2018

Hey everyone,
Just resuscitating this thread to see who is still out there. I just bought my first boat, a 1986 Cal 22 and am interested in meeting others who own this boat. I have never seen another one out in the wild, and as others have noted, there is very little information on it on the web.
Would anyone be willing to post some pictures of how their reefing line is set up? I've read the rigging instructions in the owners manual over and over, but can't seem to quite figure out what to do with the line as it leads from the end of the boom on the starboard side up to the gooseneck. The manual refers to a D ring, which I'm guessing was supposed to have been installed on the luff cringle, but has long since disappeared off my original mainsail.

Thanks in advance.
post #155 of 160 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDC View Post
Hey everyone,
Just resuscitating this thread to see who is still out there. I just bought my first boat, a 1986 Cal 22 and am interested in meeting others who own this boat. I have never seen another one out in the wild, and as others have noted, there is very little information on it on the web.
Would anyone be willing to post some pictures of how their reefing line is set up? I've read the rigging instructions in the owners manual over and over, but can't seem to quite figure out what to do with the line as it leads from the end of the boom on the starboard side up to the gooseneck. The manual refers to a D ring, which I'm guessing was supposed to have been installed on the luff cringle, but has long since disappeared off my original mainsail.

Thanks in advance.
Your sail should have a D ring forward and a reenforced hole towards the rear at the reefing point. The line runs up from the gooseneck to the Forward D ring and then back down to a pulley. Then back through a loop or two to the rear pulley. Then up through the hole and back down the port side to a loop. Tie a knot in the end of the line to secure. Mine has a couple pulleys on the deck and a cam lock near the cockpit so you can pull her down without having to go forward.
post #156 of 160 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jones View Post
Your sail should have a D ring forward and a reenforced hole towards the rear at the reefing point. The line runs up from the gooseneck to the Forward D ring and then back down to a pulley. Then back through a loop or two to the rear pulley. Then up through the hole and back down the port side to a loop. Tie a knot in the end of the line to secure. Mine has a couple pulleys on the deck and a cam lock near the cockpit so you can pull her down without having to go forward.
That's super helpful. Thank you. Searching around yesterday, I came across this low-friction ring setup that I'm guessing serves the same purpose as this D ring that I'm missing. Am I on the right track?
Attached Thumbnails
frictionless-ring-on-main.jpg  
post #157 of 160 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDC View Post
That's super helpful. Thank you. Searching around yesterday, I came across this low-friction ring setup that I'm guessing serves the same purpose as this D ring that I'm missing. Am I on the right track?
THat looks about right. My line goes through the hole your low friction ring is attached. Yours is probably a better set up
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommy Jones For This Useful Post:
DMDC (12-05-2018)
post #158 of 160 Old 12-14-2018

Hello everyone,
I am looking for information on the Cal22. I am eyeing on an 85 model. I read different posts here and there but not much to find. Does anyone know more about construction quality and material used for deck and keel? Any info on boat behavior, weaknesses and performance would be appreciated as well.
Planning coastal cruising no racing.
Thank you.
post #159 of 160 Old 12-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureh View Post
Hello everyone,
I am looking for information on the Cal22. I am eyeing on an 85 model. I read different posts here and there but not much to find. Does anyone know more about construction quality and material used for deck and keel? Any info on boat behavior, weaknesses and performance would be appreciated as well.
Thank you.
I can't speak to the sailing performance of the boat, as I just bought mine in October and only got half a dozen light air sails in before the end of the season. However, I do have a scan of the original owner's manual for the 86 model, which has some info on construction methods, materials and other specs. Drop me a line if you want a copy. I can't post it here because PDF uploads are disabled and I can't even post a link to an external site because I'm a new member.
post #160 of 160 Old 12-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureh View Post
Hello everyone,
Thank you.
As far as I can tell the only wood in mine is the cabinetry. Mine is the full keel and itís got 500lbs of lead hung down low. With the furling jib and the reefing main you can sail her in just about anything, although she excels in light to moderate wind. Iíve got a lot of stress cracks in the deck but nothing that leaks or seems like a structural problem.

Over all, a fun little boat that sails fast for her size.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in