Any Cal 22 Owners? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 160 Old 06-28-2010

Bill,

I find information about Cal 22 equipment and get ideas (outside of this forum) by looking at photographs I find on the internet.

Check out this link for photographs of a Cal 22 with bimini. Cal 22 sailboat for sale

My Cal 22 does have bimini hardware, but I have never had a bimini.

I would add a rigid boom vang too, if you do not already have one. Garhauer is a great source for affordable rigid boom vangs for Cal 22's. I suspect that you will lose a little sailing performance, due to either raising the gooseneck a little higher on the mast, which will prohibit you from flattening your main, or simply because you have to keep the vang off (boom high) to clear the bimini. If you need performance you could always drop the bimini and flatten the main with a rigid vang. I think the photographs in the link above depict a topping lift situation to resolve the boom interference with the bimini. I guess that is another way to do it...I would prefer the rigid vang myself.

After quite a hot and humid spell here in Kentucky, it is supposed to get back to normal temps this week. You could try convincing her it is getting cooler....that doesn't work with my wife either.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 160 Old 06-28-2010

Bimini

Thanks, Ron - I did see that boat on Texas Sailing today. It really looked surprisingly good. However, as you suggested, I think the mainsail would bag if I raised the boom enough to make the bimini work. Plus, looking at another boat on Texas Sailing that had a bimini, I suspect that when it's folded it might interfere with the traveler and mainsheet -- or even drag in the water when heeled.

I think I should probably focus on a boom tent and maybe a wind scoop for the forward hatch. Years ago, we sailed in the Virgin Islands and were impressed at how much flow the wind scoop brought in.

By the way, a nice addition I made to my boat is a Raymarine ST 1000 autohelm. It very handy when singlehanding.

Have any of you done much cruising on this boat - at this point I've just done one overnighter - lots of day sailing.

All the best,

Bill
post #53 of 160 Old 07-01-2010

manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree34 View Post
i had an old owners manual when i had my Cal 22 that I PDF'd - i could probably dig it up on my computer. But it had all of the suppliers listed for each of the components (mast, etc).

As for the aluminum furler extrusions, there are little nylon splice inserts that attach the sections together. When I got my boat all of these were busted and the PO had been sailing the boat for years that way. To me the furler was garbage so i simply put a new CDI unit on with a plastic, continuous extrusion. Cheap & fixed the problem.
hi wonder if you still have the manual and if you can email to me,
best
Alejandro

post #54 of 160 Old 07-02-2010

Bill,

No cruising on my Cal 22 either. Lots of day sailing here too. We're on a little finger type lake in Kentucky. (Taylorsville Lake) We have anchored out a couple of times for a night, but that is about it. The lake is 20 miles or so, but it is narrow. Anchoring is difficult due to depth, bottom type and narrowness.

The Admiral did not think much of our nights out....kind of spoiled by bigger boat trips to more exotic places.

Ron
post #55 of 160 Old 07-04-2010
2nd childhood in progress

Great boat to learn--I had an early 70s model when I was younger...umm, a couple of years back.

Guess it was crazy bad luck... for a sailboat to burn down while on land just makes you want to cry...again. (was parked next to a garage that had faulty wiring that went up in flames. Heat torched the transom off and trashed the boat.)

But it was a great boat before I killed it!

Come to think of it, a house I used to own on the Coast burned down too. Burned down in the middle of a torrential hurricane downfall, and surrounded by 6 feet of floodwater (Hurricane Katrina).

--He sure went to a lot of effort to make His point here, didn't He?.

S/V JonnyQuest
27' O'Day 1975
MS Gulf Coast

Last edited by JonnyQuest; 07-04-2010 at 09:45 PM.
post #56 of 160 Old 07-08-2010

I just bought a 1986 Cal 22 in CT, I have a broken Stanchion, anybody know where I can find a replacement, a little difficult since they aren't made any more.

Thanks,
Jon
post #57 of 160 Old 07-12-2010
hix

Thumbs up new Cal 22

Got my new boat a couple weeks ago. A 1986 Cal 22. This is my first boat and i just started sailing earlier this year. Made some changes additions and some observations:

1. the Reefer furling system is a pain in the neck (literally). used lots of lubricant, busted the old messenger line once, but eventually managed to get it on. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it any easier that would be great.

2. Added a Cuda 350 sonar/GPS. marina and channel where i keep the boat can be quite shallow/narrow at low tide so want this for peace of mind. Plus the GPS is cool and wasn't that expensive. Used the toilet wax ring method and seems to work well. however I'm connected to the battery directly as I can't figure out electrical panel. Anyone out there have any schematics etc?

3. Added tiller tamer - works great

4. New vang lines.

5. some sail slugs were busted so had to replace some.

Took her out solo a few times in last 2 days and crapped my pants thinking i was going to hit other boats in the marina and when I ran out of gas (had extra tank just had not refilled). But the sailing was great - had it reefed and then full sails. Tiller tamer worked like a charm. Feels very stable despite the choppiness and swirly winds of LI sound.

Biggest anxiety is from under power leaving and returning to dock.

Pics to come.
post #58 of 160 Old 07-12-2010

Hix,

where are you in the LI Sound? I just bought a 1986 Cal 22, took her out for the first time yesterday, I have some work to do first before being really ready to sail easily, but yesterday was a great day on the water.

My boat doesn't have the roller furling anymore, but I think I need to put one on to make it easier on me.

Do you have Lazy Jacks?
post #59 of 160 Old 07-12-2010

Hix,

Looks like you are having a great time with new Cal 22. My guess is after a few times in and out of the marina/slip, you will be comfortable maneuvering....we all go through that to some extent.

I suspect my Cal 22 probably has a different reef system than yours, so I won't try to guess at what yours might look like....I can't figure what you lubricated, and to be honest I have never heard of a messenger line.

My reef line starts in a cam cleat, cabin top starboard, right next to the main halyard. It runs to the mast base, through a block, up the mast. Then I ran it through my cunningham loop, back down to a block forward on the boom, all the way back to a block on the boom aft, up to the last reef point on the leech, through that and down the other side of the sail where it is tied off on a small cleat. I'm sure there is a pad eye or two in there somewhere. So mine doubles as a cunningham/downhaul too. I believe this is a Jiffy reefing system. It works great for a single handed sailor. I can take her up into the wind and have her reefed in about 30 seconds.

And by the way, if you haven't noticed yet, Cal 22 sail much better in a blow with the main reefed as opposed to only reefing the genny. You get much better control of the boat with the main reefed and as much genny out as you can handle.

The slugs deteriorate in the sun and break after a while...buy a bunch and keep them handy.

I used to have anxiety about motoring into the slip too....now I sail in.

Have fun,
post #60 of 160 Old 07-12-2010

Jon,

Do you have lazy jacks? Isn't our main a bit small to need lazy jacks?

Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in