Just purchased 1981 CAL 39 MK2 Looking for Info - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2018 Thread Starter

Just purchased 1981 CAL 39 MK2 Looking for Info

Hello All
I am attempting to find out the mast height of the MK 2 from the waterline so that I can properly navigate under certain bridges.
The boat is in RI and I am in ME and therefore cannot measure myself. The mast length is 55 ft 6in. from base to tip. Can anyone tell me whether the base plate is below the water line?
I ultimately want to know bridge clearance.
Would also like to find other CA 39 owners to share discussions and seek input.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2018

Re: Just purchased 1981 CAL 39 MK2 Looking for Info

I believe the standard rig is shown to have an air draft of 55 feet while the tall rig is an additional 4 feet so that should make it about 59 feet:
Cal 39
CAL 39 MK II (1-147) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you for referencing John K's article - I forgot that he mentioned the air draft of 55. The previous owner of my 39 kept calling it a tall rig, however with the total measured mast length of 55ft 6in. it must be the standard rig.

Would still love to find other CAL 39 MK2 owners in the north east. Doesn't seem to be a active owners group.
Again Thanks

post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingmom View Post
Thank you for referencing John K's article - I forgot that he mentioned the air draft of 55. The previous owner of my 39 kept calling it a tall rig, however with the total measured mast length of 55ft 6in. it must be the standard rig.

Would still love to find other CAL 39 MK2 owners in the north east. Doesn't seem to be a active owners group.
Again Thanks
The mast is set on a tabernacle on top of the cabin which is about 4 or so feet above the waterline so I would consider that a tall rig if its 55' 6" from the tabernacle to the top of the mast. Be sure to allow additional height for any antenna or other accessory attached to the top of the mast which could push it past 65'.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2018 Thread Starter

Hello
The mast is keel stepped.
So the mast length I was quoting was including 6ft 6in from the top of the coach roof to the keel step plate.
I measured 50 ft from where the mast entered the coach roof to the top of the mast.
Hope this clarifies
Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingmom View Post
Hello
The mast is keel stepped.
So the mast length I was quoting was including 6ft 6in from the top of the coach roof to the keel step plate.
I measured 50 ft from where the mast entered the coach roof to the top of the mast.
Hope this clarifies
Thanks
The last 39 MKII I looked at had a tabernacle on the coach roof and a post below going down to the keel however 50 feet above the coach roof is not the tall rig as far as I understand. Customization's and mid play changes do make life interesting don't they.

Very nice boat though and you must be looking forward to getting her home and putting your own personal touch on her.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. The previous owner (boat still in his yard) went to the boatyard and re-measured the mast and worked out that height about water line was just over 54 feet. Therefore this confirms to both myself and the former owner (he believed it was a tall rig) that this CAL39 is a standard rig - much better for me as I look to heading south and dealing with bridges.
Still looking for the secret society of CAL 39 owners
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2018

That's great. Hope it holds true and the good news stays.

You really do not want to be regularly turning to Billy or Bubba the Barrel Tipper.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2018

The air draft of a standard rig Cal 39 MK2 is approx 55 feet depending on load condition. The I dimension is 50' for the standard rig and an additional 4' for the tall mast.

The drawings show that the mast step is approximately 14" below the LWL, again depending on load. Never saw one with a cabin top, tabernacle mounted mast......certainly wasn't a Lapworth designed arrangement.

At one time there was an on line owners forum but it disappeared a few years ago, evidently no longer maintained by the individual who put it up.

My 1979 model, hull # 81 is homeported at the Hampton YC in Hampton, VA. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

DougR

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in