Cal 29 beam rot - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 Old 01-26-2018

Re: Cal 29 beam rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norahsark1 View Post
WOW "The Beam of Death"!
I have hull # 3 and have been very satisfied with the construction of the hull and deck. The glassed hull to deck joint and encapsulated keel were two big selling points for me. The "beam of death" was of no interest to me as I have some experience in materials science and in my opinion the beam could have been left out during construction and the fiberglass beam would have supported the mast compression load just fine. One strong point with the Cal design is keeping the compression post up high where it stays dry.
(Take a look at most other boats in this size range and the Cal 29 mast is very well supported. Most just come to the cabin sole liner or direct to the boat bottom.)
NORAHSARK1,
I have recently purchased a Cal 29 which looks in good shape. There is no indication of structural damage around the cabin top or the base of the compression post on the fiberglass cross beam/sill, indeed, as you say, the size and shape of the fiberglass sill looks sufficient to react any mast loads.
I have read several posts about the keel beam and am curious about the loads it is there to react, given it is not sitting on the keel, is not attached to the outer hull, and is connected to the bulkhead on each side by the two tabs and the mast compression post by the centre tab.
If the keelbeam is supporting significant mast loads then some reinforcement of the fiberglass beam externally may solve the problem rather than major demolition of the floor pans etc to replace the corroded beam.
Cheers
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 06-13-2018

Re: Cal 29 beam rot

Looking at a 79 cal 29, would the beam be stainless??? The boat needs main bulkhead, can I do both repairs at the same time? Is it best to do repairs like this when the boat is in the water to help keep her natural shape?? Thank you!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in