Cal 21 Owners - Page 12 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

Re: Cal 21 Owners

This is the only picture I had prior to buying the boat. Except the boat didnt look like this anymore. All the deck Spoiler alert, the mast is off of a catalina and the tabernackle is constructed of heavily welded plate amuninum I'm sure it's strong had been removed. I have a crrent picture of that tabernacle. That sure isnt original. , but the two or three bolt holes through the mast that looked like they were chewed by a beaver sure werent! So, I've done the math, determined that a good wind will crack that mast in half and the wires are so dodgy they all need to be replaced anyway. This made it easy. I went on the hunt for a new mast, and, I've succeeded! I purchased a cal 20 mast which should be identically rigged to the cal 21. It comes without the bottom part of the mast step however these are still avalable from Seals Spars.It does come with all the stay wires in good condition! I have to drive to Oshawa area to get it.
Attached Thumbnails
seanasboat.png   20180410_111220.jpg  

Last edited by Seana; 02-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

The sail Bags revealed: Good condition Genoa and Working Jib. That is all. No mainsail, nada. This mainsail was purchased from Pinneys Yauct surplus in california. Note the sail number! I'm honoured!
Attached Thumbnails
20181010_140337.jpg  
post #113 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

I havent repaced the chainplates yet but the originals are cleaned up. I'll have to fiberglass in some half inch marine plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
20180410_103145.jpg  

post #114 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

Did I mention this is gutted? And sitting on a trailer in a farmers field? Second pic before the previous owners got a hold of it We have the trim Pieces, no compression post and the plywood top is delaminated.
Attached Thumbnails
20180410_110320.jpg   Screenshot_20180223-194837.png  
post #115 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

Lots of time spent epoxy filling holes and sanding down bits. I'm not sold on the rubber antislip and I think its damaged so it will probably be a kiwigrip application.Lots of time has been spent filling holes with thickened epoxy and removing a million screws from alog under the toerail. All these sharp ends are in the inside of the hull. I've removed most of them ( to be replaced with stainless bolts and washers) but there seem to be some that are holding in a piece of foam between the hull sections so the screw heads arent accessible. All te other holes have been filled with thickened epoxy and bolts will replace them . I'm really concerned about water ingress along the joint when heeled over . The access covers have been replaced. I got replacement jib sheet pulleys for the tracks and new LED navigation lights. I've made patterns to replace some of the bulkheads inside but not put together the replacement pieces of marine plywood yet. I've a lot of work ahead of me. I've long since determined any budget is meaningless, and I'm just fixing it to as close to original as possible. It's my hobby and the very definition of a "project boat".
Attached Thumbnails
20180410_101236.jpg   20180410_101435.jpg  
post #116 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

I thought the centreboard damage was the biggy, have you addressed that yet?
post #117 of 135 Old 02-05-2019

go back to page 11 Paul the pictures are there. before and after ( well as it stands currently) . Still to do, drop the keel, work the repair from outside the hull.

I'll explain what you are seeing in the first pictures. The repair area around the securing bolts was ground down almost to the gelcoat, then alternating pieced of chopped matt and woven fiberglass were laid up over the thin remaining fiberglass. It took me all day from breakfast through to 8 at night to let each of the layers kick off before laying the next. I'll need to drill out for the new securing pin for the keel. The Keel bolt looks in good condition and maay have only been in the water briefly if at all, Stiff plastic was used inside the keel housing in order to provide structure to mould around and removed afterwards. It was an ambitious first project at fiberglassing

I should also mention the keel winch timber is teak, and almost rotted through. It will need replacing and I'm considering installing an electric keel winch. Most of the rest of the rigging replacements have been purchased but not installed for the most part. I need to finish the fiberglass work so I can paint the deck before any of the new shiney bits can be installed.

Last edited by Seana; 02-05-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #118 of 135 Old 03-08-2019

I recently acquired a cal 21. I believe her to be built in 1969 #24 is on the main sail and is also stamped on the inside of the hull on the transom. Like everyone else there is rotted wood in the cabin. I have a question about an outboard motor. Should it be a long shaft or will a short shaft work?
I have attached pics of her when I bought it. Outside picture when I brought her home.
Cal 21 Owners-2.jpg
Here is some pictures of the cabin and inside the hull
Attached Thumbnails
20181112_151036.jpg   20181112_151158.jpg   20181112_151054.jpg  
post #119 of 135 Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoman2 View Post
I recently acquired a cal 21. I believe her to be built in 1969 #24 is on the main sail and is also stamped on the inside of the hull on the transom. Like everyone else there is rotted wood in the cabin. I have a question about an outboard motor. Should it be a long shaft or will a short shaft work?
I have attached pics of her when I bought it. Outside picture when I brought her home.
Attachment 122342
Here is some pictures of the cabin and inside the hull

Hi Silver!
Yes, that is some rot!
Pretty much the entirety of the interior woodwork has to be ripped out, and new wood tabbed in.
I faced pretty much exactly what you have there, except that a previous owner had already ripped out all the bulkheads chainplates and all the wood in general. So it's really interesting to see your pics, you have an advantage over me in that your "templates" for the replacement wood is still in place. Use this to your advantage, take lots of pictures and paper templates of the bulkhead so you can make new ones out of marine plywood.

I wasnt aware there was a bulkhead across underneath the ccockpit sole by the end of the quarter berth.I was aware of the longitudinal piece running from the end of the keel housing . It would be useful to see the section where the keel housing is inside under the compression post I have some questions on it's original construction.
post #120 of 135 Old 03-08-2019

Seana,
I will try and take some more pictures of the inside to help you out during the day. You are correct about making patterns.
One thing I learned today reading a lot of posts is it's not a good idea to sail without those pieces intact. Sounds like it puts stress on the hull.
I'm still trying to find out if I need a long shaft outboard motor or if a regular or short shaft would work.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in