Cal 21 Owners - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

Re: Cal 21 Owners

I have a long shaft, but really either should work. I would think a long shaft would be easier to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

For Reference what I was left with:

There's an absolute treasure trove of information in those rotted out pieces of plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
20180410_110320.jpg   20180410_103145.jpg  
post #123 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

Looks like you have more interior damage than I do, lucky me.
BTW where are you located, I'm in Northern California

post #124 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

I dont know about interior damage per se...it's just not there! I'm sure whatever firepit it got thrown into it was just as rotted as yours
I'm in Ottawa Canada and "Humpty Dumpty" as I affectionately call her is in a local rural area called Almonte. I get cheap storage in the same field I bought her out of and go out when I have time to work on it. Yes, it'll be a Lot of work from the leaking portlights to the stripped off hardware and mismatched mast ( I bought a new one off a cal 20 complete with stays!) but as It's only ever meant to be something to camp out on the water on the odd weekend in the summer, I'm sure it'll be fine. Was only meant as a bit of a fun project, and I dont really care what it ends up costing me at this point. I'll always have more into the boat than its value, but that is boat ownership.

Seana
post #125 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

Also, looking at your pic its very clear to see the center piece of plywood is contiguous. In the corner where it crosses the bulkhead are each of these plywood cut with a slot? Are the side bulkheads seperate pieces ( they look a different grain) . Details of the original joinery in this area would be VERY helpful especially as strength is through the design. Lots of epoxy needed over the new wood. I'm considering encapsulating it in fiberglass so this never has to be done again.

The only advantage you have over me is having the original to use as a pattern. You're actually going to have to do just as much work as almost all of your wood is going to need to be ripped out to get to the point I am at now.

Last edited by Seana; 03-08-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #126 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

Seana,
Here is some pictures I took today of the interior. Ask me if you're not sure what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
a.jpg   b.jpg   c.jpg   d.jpg   e.jpg  

post #127 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

More
Attached Thumbnails
f.jpg   g.jpg   h.jpg   i.jpg   j.jpg  

post #128 of 136 Old 03-08-2019

The last ones
Attached Thumbnails
k.jpg   l.jpg   m.jpg   n.jpg  
post #129 of 136 Old 03-09-2019

I did use a short-shaft outboard temporarily a couple of times on our CAL 21, it will work in a pinch, but is FAR from ideal! Even with a long-shaft the prop will sometimes come close to coming out of the water as you move forward to the bow to pick up a mooring or other line handling tasks. At hull speed the short-shaft will be deep enough usually, but at slower speeds the transom rises enough that without having everyone sit near the aft end of the cockpit, you will barely get the lower unit and prop deep enough. A 20-inch (long-shaft) is definitely needed, a 25" Extra-longshaft is not really needed, but would nearly always prevent the prop from coming out of the water, Still I'd have confidence in the 20" as long-enough (standard, or short-shaft is 15"). We started out in 1970 with a British Seagull "long-shaft" SILVER-CENTURY (about 4-5HP) model that actually had a 22" shaft. Replaced in 1981 with a 20" shaft Johnson 4.5hp which worked fine 99.9% of the time. Replaced that (after overheating damage) with a Johnson 4 DLX with the 20" shaft (4DLX was really same as the 4.5 HP, just slightly less HP). When we sold our CAL 21 in 2008 that 4DLX was still running fine, but new owner ultimately moved up to a 6hp. I wouldn't put more than a 6 HP on a CAL 21, more HP really won't push her any faster (and I'm not sure how much faster a 6 would be than the 4.5 we had, but the extra "oomph" would be good in reserve). Incidently, I didn't notice that the owner of that CAL 21 with the short-shaft outboard replaced the decals at some time, that is a 6hp or 7.5, maybe an 8hp.. but NOT a 9.9 <GRIN!>.

In the picture of the top of the keel well: the brass plates on each side were added by my Dad to better secure the bushings for our modified keel locking bolt. Original fiberglass bosses (reeforcements) had sheared off many years prior when we hit a rock with the keel. New locking bolt was 1/4" brass and designed to shear on impact, unlike the original 5/8" stainless bolt (or even hte 5/8" monel bolt that we replaced the ss one with. The Monel bolt bent from the impact. CAL 21 keel really does need to be locked down under sail for proper use and saves some wear and tear on the pivot since keel stays fixed instead of constantly moving against pivot.
Attached Thumbnails
1604939906.jpg   Locking bolt location_NODROG modified.jpg   Short-shaft outboard.jpg   CAL21_keel diagram.JPG  
silveradoman2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 03-10-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added pictures and further explanantions
post #130 of 136 Old 03-09-2019

Rjohnson,
Thanks for the reply. I bought my Cal 21 for $800.00. Came with orig main sail, jib and a Genoa along with the trailer. The sails are in good condition. My brother was given a 7.5 Ted Williams outboard motor years ago and never used it. I was hoping I could use it on the Cal 21. I am currently resurrecting the motor, rusted gas tank replacing, rebuilding the carb, cleaned out the old gear lube and installing a new impeller. Was hoping I could get by with this motor. I guess once I launch the boat I will find out for sure.
Thanks for posting the pictures of the different length shafts.
Silver

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in