Cal 21 Owners - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 135 Old 03-10-2019

Re: Cal 21 Owners

That platform/bench on top of the keel trunk is custom, not stock. Seems to me it would get in the way of using the cabin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 135 Old 03-10-2019

When the wind is blowing strong, the CAL 21 sails pretty good with just the mainsail, or with the main reefed and using a smaller jib (like the 110% "working jib". You may not point as high under just main, but sometimes laying off just a little (and retrimming the set of the sails) make it a lot more comfortable and boat often goes faster when nor over-canvassed! One thing that 38 years of CAL 21 sailing experience can teach you! <GRIN!> Oh, and a boom vang to help flatten the sail will also make it more comfortable in higher winds. With 360# of lead at the bottom of her keel, the CAL 21 is pretty stable, but seems to heel just so far..... then stiffens up. A quick gust may lay her over if she isn't moving fast enough to "shake it off", but letting go the sheets lets her come back upright easily. We did take a couple of water flooding the cockpit knockdowns over the years, but never had her go beyond that. Had water inside after one, but only because it flowed in through a vent that we had on the inside of the cockpit coaming, and even then it wasn't much. I was surprised to find that she heeled less with 2 persons aboard than with one...... surprised because that was even with the second person sitting on leeward side.

The 21 really won't plane, at least not like my current O'DAY Day Sailer (centerboard) but like most Lapworth-designed CALs, she will SURF! WOOOOW!
silveradoman2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 03-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #133 of 135 Old 06-14-2019

Well after trying to resurrect the Ted Williams 7.5 hp that was a no go, I bough a Nissan 9.9. Took the boat out on the Lake yesterday. Had good winds and a lot of fun. My question is how do I release the chain from the keel and then how do I reattach it. I sailed for 3 hours, got a sunburn and had the winch in place the whole time.
I'm thinking of using a D shackle to release the chain from the winch, attaching it to the inner side of the opening where keel rises up to.
Anybody have any better ideas?

Silver

post #134 of 135 Old 07-01-2019

My keel Has a stainless hook and a stainless cable to lift it, I leave the cable its like 1/8 maybe slightly bigger attached to the keel and detach it from the winch it has a bulb and slotted connector for the winch. then coil the extra up and attach it to the bulk head to the cabin to keep it outta the way. much easier than trying to find that hook on the keel at the end of the day or weekend as I don't keep the boat in the water I trailer her home with me.
post #135 of 135 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Since I purchased my Cal 21 I have added and changed a few things.
In trying to make it a one man setup, which being 66 I'm not as strong as I used to be but still, the mast is one heavy piece of metal. So I made the front support with 4" box steel 1/8 " wall. This allowed me to install a 12 volt winch to help step the mast. I use a heavy duty tri pod with a roller on top to act as a fulcrum when raising or lowering. The winch has a remote so I can keep the mast from swinging to one side as it raises. The nice thing is the winch has an auto brake when I don't push the button.

The original winch to keep the boat to the trailer was rusted badly, I replaced it.

I also made a stronger more stable rear mast support. The original was bent and wouldn't stay perpendicular to the transom, making it difficult when rolling the mast across it.

I also changed out the motor mount. The original mount, fiberglass, had signs of cracking and I wasn't able to get the motor out of the water. So I installed a Garelick scissor lift and I am able to get the motor out of the water.

I have attached the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
New heavy duty front mast support with 12 volt winch.jpg   New winch for boat.jpg   New rear mast suppot.jpg   Garelick scissor lift mount.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in