SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 21 Owners

47K views 140 replies 23 participants last post by  Arcb 
#1 ·
Doesn't seem like there are too many of us running around on the internets. She doesn't seem to have as big of a following as the other Cal boats, but I'm sure that's just due to the limited production run.

Curious if anyone knows of a email group or something similar for Cal 21 owners? Or, if none exists if anyone would be interested in starting one with me?

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Mista, There are a few, a very few, Cal21 folks spread far and wide. Most of us trying to get more info on our recently acquired boats! I see that the last post I made on this forum was four weeks ago, just before you posted. Communications are tricky. I have found a few different sources for info. One fellow is super good about the Cal and boats in general, but I have never been able to get a response from him. Fortunately he has left a lot of good info on a forum that I will have to identify - might be this one. I will track it down later as I am about to install a cockpit seat drain based on a posting that I have to find again...I think in the Ruta Baga (sp?) section of some helpful info that exists. There is a guy named Rod Johnson who no longer owns a Cal21, but grew up with one, and he is very helpful. Well, I hope you see this and get back to me. I will stay tuned to this forum for a while to make sure I don't miss you.
OKAY, I found the good info guy - Sailaway21, on this forum, but in a reply to Bonita so is tricky to find. Bonita has posted many pics in his restoration project.

#3 ·
I hear ya, I'm in the "need more info" boat it seems. I've found a few resources spread out all over that answer a lot of the questions, but there are always those random boat specific things you want to ask a fellow owner.

Speaking of... How much tension do you put on your rigging? The last time I took out my boat I noticed it has serious lee helm. I think my back stay is too loose. I found a bit online about 2-3 inches of flex in the shrouds and 1-2 in the back and forestay.

#4 ·
You are way ahead of me in sailing the Cal21. I got the boat last fall on a trailer. The prior owner bought it a couple of years ago and left it on the hard in his backyard through 2010. He had very little info for me. I expect to test sail her this coming Monday. Had to do repair work on rudder as well as figure out the rigging. The interior is still a mess, but not a major concern of mine. I have spent a lot of energy trying to learn about the keel and keel attachment. This boat has a permanent connection which I am lead to believe is detrimental to sailing. I would like to set it back to original design. Regarding back stay, I have read that putting a dual wire with an adjustment back there is good. But in general on rig tension I have little to offer at this point. My boat has two jibs and the roller jib has hanks on it which is also a puzzlement. There is a roller on the jib halyard and I found a small Harken furler in a parts box. Not sure prior owner was a sailor or knew what a roller furler was. Of course that may be the way he got the boat.:eek:

#7 · (Edited)
Never made it to the water today. Wasn't any wind so I rigged it in the yard as best I could. Realized that I don't seem to have the sheets understood yet either. You can see another thread I started today trying to work out the furler questions I have. Got advice from more northwest sailors. BC to be exact.
Regarding your comment about shroud tension. There is good(I hope) detail about all 8 wires in the second paragraph of A. MAST TUNE in the manual found at www3.sympatico.ca/sailpair/21stuff/manual.html
Some questions :confused: I still have:
1. Is the 3" block of wood under my mast original equipment?
2. How should main sheet be strung?
YAYYYY! FOUND ANSWER AT SYMPATICO
3. How should jib sheets be led in ref to upper/lower shrouds
FROM PICS LOOKS LIKE ALL OUTSIDE OF SHROUDS
4. Looks like both jib and Genny will be hitting the dual jumper stays.
But getting there!:)

#8 ·
South Carolina Cal 21 Owner

I just acquired a Cal 21 on a trailer. Never had a sail boat before but always wanted one and to learn to sail.

My son and I stepped the mast yesterday evening while it is in the yard and on the trailer. We could not get the cable to reach the bow. Seemed to be about 12" - 15" short.

Not sure what to do next other than rig something with the trailer winch to help raise the mast. Walking it up for a middle aged and vertically challenged man is a chore.:)

#9 ·
othomas3, First off let me say that you will get more help from more sources if you post directly into the forum with a new thread. But as long as you are here let me try to shed some light, or at least my experience on the two problems you have described. At least I think they are two separate problems.
The first is the difficulty of raising the mast. I suspect that is one of the primary reasons for the short production run of this "trailerable" boat. As I do a lot of solo sailing I have to raise the mast of my boats by myself. I mostly sail a Hobie16 which i trailer every time I sail. The masts are about the same height but I have no trouble stepping the Hobie mast. The Cal is a different story altogether. I decided I would have to rig a gin pole and bridle if i ever wanted to step the Cal21 mast by myself. Here is one man's design: Mast Raising System

The second problem of the forestay( I assume you are speaking of the forestay) not reaching the bow is impossible to help with unless more info is offered by you. Was the mast verticle? Was a shroud or backstay or anything else caught on something? Is the backstay positioned properly on the mast? Is it the correct forestay? Is the forestay positioned right?

The Cal21 will be an interesting boat to learn to sail on. I am of a mind that it is quite tender and perhaps a bit overpowered for a first time sailboat. I have sailed a 13 tonner(very solid in big winds) and a Hobie16 which will have you swimming in a second if you do not stay on top of it. Send pics of the short jibstay problem if you can. Might be able to spot problem. According to the specs the headstay(forestay to me) should be 23' 6 1/4" long. Good luck, rip

#10 ·
Hey, i just found this thread. I am working on getting my Cal21 back in the water after pivot pin repairs (cal21 keel thread)...I bought the boat last 4th of July. I am new to sailing but managed to get around the Puget Sound a bit last summer/fall. Thanks Rippy and Mistacolin for your posts!

#14 ·
New 21 Owner

Just wanted to add my name to the list. Bought my Cal21 end of last month. I have been sailing it nearly everyday on the lake. Winds are typically light but last Sunday we got a front that came through and whipped up to 15-20 knots. I tell you what, she heels right over in that kinda wind with the genny up.

Who knew 5.5 knots could be so fun!

I'm looking to get it out on the Puget Sound when I get more comfortable. It's my first "real" sailboat. I had a 8' Ranger sailing dinghy but I out grew it pretty quick.

Sailnova, I can't PM yet but let me know if you want to do some sailing, since we're local.

Jed
jedneck at live.com

#17 ·
Spinnaker gear! You kidding me? I think the Jenny is all the foresail I will ever need with my Cal21. Hey guys as an aside, my boat got ripped off a mooring during Irene(east coast hurricane) at end of August. Evidently another boat and a tree caught Summer Wind(my Cal) and took her for a ride. Half a mile out the Rondout Creek and about 4 miles down the Hudson. Good samaritans(don't even know who at this point) grabbed her and she is in my back yard now. I am writing a children's book about her adventure.

#19 ·
Spinnaker gear sounds too scary for right now. :eek:
In that little blow we had up here Makai was hauling the mail on a run. I have heard tale of guys "surfing" these boats on a run but IDK...

I think I have a "Gennaker" for her...it's a 160 Genoa made out of a light chute/spinnaker like material...I haven't played with it much. I think it is for going downwind in a very light breeze.

Rippy, that's crazy, I'm glad Summer Wind found her way home. It could have been much worse. Was she damaged at all?

#21 ·
Aha!

I had been looking for more comments from mistacolin. Perhaps JedNeck has found the reason for MIA sailor.:confused: I don't know if you have found them yet, but their are other, and more informative Cal21 threads on the SailNet. Yes I will give a link to the child's book when and if published. I am not really a writer, but I thought it was a good story.
Regarding damage: Not much - some minor hull scraping and the vinyl in the rub rail was destroyed in one area. Researching to replace it. Somebody cut the main sheet to use as a dock line:eek: Only thing missing was a $32 boat hook.:( But all in all a very happy sailor.
One more thing regarding surfing. Looking at how little of the boat is in the water I have to believe planing the Cal21 would be a snap. Especially if you could get the keel up quickly. ;)

#25 ·
OK, now, have you ever seen this? It's an older thread that requires deep searching to find. That's what motivated me to say at one point on one of the more current threads that we need our own owner's assoc or at least a sub category within the sailnet community. There are lots of Cals around, just not many of us! When you get to the thread scroll down til you find sailaway21. You will be overjoyed. At least I was. Never could raise the dude though.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/56225-hi-we-too-got-new-used-cal-21-a.html
Best, rippy

#29 · (Edited)
scroll down til you find sailaway21. Never could raise the dude though.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/56225-hi-we-too-got-new-used-cal-21-a.html
Best, rippy
Thats because he doesn't post here anymore. Only place you will find him is on the Political Forums. (Long story, not important).

If you want to get in touch I might be able to help.

Great Sailing Boat and very fun.
She is well balanced and the rudder responce if unbelievable; talk about finger tip control.
I sailed a Cal 25-II growing up on the Great Lakes.
These 21's are a blast and a hlaf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.