also try this.

Cape Breton Cruising free information source - All you really need

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-28-2017

Re: Bras d'Or Lake, Nova Scotia

Hpeer covered things well. The Bras D'or is a pristine and beautiful sailing area.

No problem with your strategy of wandering around in a small boat and camping on beaches. You'll have a great time, lots of amazing spots to discover.

You will have no problem whatsoever finding suitable beaches, as there are many many uninhabited islands and coves. Land below the high water line is public and people are generally very friendly. Even in areas where their are houses, I can't imagine anyone having an issue with you camping as long as you respect the homeowners (this often involves stopping in for a cup of tea or beer and having a conversation)

If you are in a small boat, make sure you respect the lake. The prevailing SW winds can be strong, and they kick up a decent sized chop, especially in 'the big lake' (southwest part). So watch the weather before crossing.
Faster and Arcb like this.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks Hpeer and DougM. Yes Hpeer, a trailer sailer, quite a small one. We can sleep on board if we need to, but we would prefer to beach and pitch a tent.

DougM, it sounds like you know the area well. Great post. I will be cautious if we venture onto the big water. Beer/tea and conversation I can do. The island beaches look incredible.

It sounds like a pretty awesome place.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-29-2018 Thread Starter

Okay, so I just completed this trip. Instead of trailering my Bay Hen, I car topped my sailing canoe.

We explored mostly the Northumberland straights tidal estuaries and some parts of the southern portion of Bras D'Ors Lake. Namely; Port Hood, Mabou, Coal Harbour and Big Narrows.

Wow. What beautiful country side. I am in a motel just East of Montmagny reviewing my photos and it occurs to me thhat Cape Breton is the most beautiful place I have been in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1538271549786.jpg  
Towguy likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 09-29-2018 at 09:41 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-29-2018

Yes Cape Breton is beautiful. I managed to buy a nice piece of land in Washabuck, a few miles above Iona, over looks the lakes for a long way. Sounds like you may be hooked.

I think if you did some careful planning you would find quite a few places to camp waterside. There are locations where the waves create a beach with a pond behind it, called a barischious (sp?). There is very little tide so you can pretty safely camp right up to the water. I think if you look around the Christmas Island area and also just on the east side of the bridge at Grand Narrows/Iona you will see what I mean.

The Cruising Club if America publishes a guide covering the lakes that points out a lot of anchorages, but is not geared for a trailer sailer.

The other thing I’ll say is this, if you like Cape Breton you will love Newfoundland. A little tougher, more sparse, more rugged.
Arcb likes this.

post #16 of 21 Old 09-29-2018

There is a guy named Peter Loveridge who wrote a cruising guide to Nova Scotia, the guide covers the Bras D'Or and is available on CD from him. I believe he is a member of the Shelburne Yacht club so if you look them up and give them a call they should be able to help you get a copy. The club sells paper copies of the book, so if you are making your way up to the Bras D'Or by car, you could swing by and grab a copy. Shelburne is worth a visit and the people at the Yacht Club are super friendly and helpful to visiting sailors.
Arcb likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-02-2018 Thread Starter

Here are a few pics. These were all taken on the islands west coast-Gulf of St Lawrence- Northumberland Straight.

Its pretty quiet. There are not a lot of people around to care where you beach your boat. The houses that are present seem to be built pretty far back from the water. The beaches are really nice and really abandoned.
Attached Thumbnails
beach2.png   beach3.png   beach4.png   can1.png   can3.png  

post #18 of 21 Old 03-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Okay, so I just completed this trip. Instead of trailering my Bay Hen, I car topped my sailing canoe.

We explored mostly the Northumberland straights tidal estuaries and some parts of the southern portion of Bras D'Ors Lake. Namely; Port Hood, Mabou, Coal Harbour and Big Narrows.

Wow. What beautiful country side. I am in a motel just East of Montmagny reviewing my photos and it occurs to me thhat Cape Breton is the most beautiful place I have been in Canada.
I did a lap of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton back in my Harley days and concur with you assessment of the regions natural beauty.

To this day when I describe it to people I tell them to imagine the Hollywood version of a beautiful secluded mountain cabin with evergreen branches dipping down in to the edge of pristine lakes rocky shoreline. Then I tell them that is what NS looks like, everywhere you look except for the places where the lake is replaced with Ocean.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #19 of 21 Old 03-11-2019

Cape Breton is merely a prelude to Newfoundland.
MikeOReilly and flyrod like this.

post #20 of 21 Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter

I agree that Newfoundland is a very beautiful place.

But the green forests on the west coast of Cape Breton are pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails
ChrisesRiver.png   Mabour.png  

Last edited by Arcb; 03-13-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in