Sunfish rentals in St. Thomas - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2016 Thread Starter

Sunfish rentals in St. Thomas

Hi, does anyone know of a place in St. Thomas that rents sunfishes? We're flying there in January and would love to sail around a bit. We're going to be staying on the eastern coast (where the blue pin is on the Navionics map) so we'd like to stick around that area but we will have a car if we need to drive somewhere.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
St. Thomas.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2016
Freedom 39

Re: Sunfish rentals in St. Thomas

Looks like you're staying at Margaritaville at the Wyndham. I don't believe they have any small sailboats to rent there but I could be wrong as I've only visited the property twice. I believe the Ritz has a few small boats and assume they are priced in the Ritz Carlton range for non-guests. My two suggestions would be contact the St Thomas Yacht Club and see if they could work with you St. Thomas Yacht Club - HOME
If that doesn't work out then I would definitely contact John at West Indies Windsurfing. He has a large variety of small boats in a pretty well protected bay near Redhook WEST INDIES WINDSURFING : Hobie Cat

The other option is to head over to St John. There are some Hobies and such for rent in Cinnamon Bay. Water Sports | Cinnamon Bay Resort & Campground

Enjoy your trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarCry For This Useful Post:
choppyseas (12-06-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2016
Tartan 27' owner

@FarCry - are there no small boat rentals of any kind in Megan's Bay? I rented a Prindle 16' catamaran there like 30 years ago. I'm sure it has changed a lot in that time except they still must have de mongoose.
;-)

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
choppyseas (12-06-2016)

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2016
Freedom 39

CalebD- I don't believe there are rentals there but I could be wrong. Last time, a few years ago when I was there, none existed. I typically don't go there as I have a philosophical issue paying to go to a beach, any beach... There are too many less populated beaches that I can drive to, or better yet, sail to.

I expect things have changed since your last visit. A few years ago I anchored in Megan's Bay and took my small dinghy to shore and drug it a few feet on to the beach outside of the marked swim area. Before I could even walk 10' from it a very agitated life guard approached and started loudly explaining about how beaching a boat is against the law, I can be fined, etc. I apologized for committing what surely was a felony and immediately pulled my dinghy out to 6" of water and carefully set the anchor so as no part of the boat could actually get on shore. I won't go into details about what exactly I told the REALLY unhappy lifegurad as I walked past him to go meet my friends on the beach. I don't recall going back since.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarCry For This Useful Post:
choppyseas (12-07-2016)
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Tank you mon FarCry.
Megan's Bay sounds a bit like the NYC waterfront where transient boaters are not wanted in most locations. Too bad about that. I'm sure it is not as nice as it was 30+ years ago.

There must be miles of more deserted beach elsewhere available by boat. Glad you can enjoy it.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in