US Citizens now Banned from Visiting Cuba! 2019 - SailNet Community
Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

19Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
US Citizens now Banned from Visiting Cuba! 2019

As this is an information post for people researching cruising there it needs to remain active in this part of SailNet. Thus political rants will be deleted that would normally move the threat to Politics forum.

Quote:

Effective Tuesday, private and corporate aircraft, cruise ships, private yachts, fishing boats, and other similar aircraft and vessels will also now be barred from traveling to Cuba, according to the Commerce Department.
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...ry?id=63478154

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-05-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

Re: US Citizens now Banned from Visiting Cuba! 2019

Thanks for the post. I saw it elsewhere also. I got the sense that they are threatening to be more diligent on enforcement. Whether they follow through or not, track AIS for example, remains to be seen. Something to think about for sure.

Im adding this as a request for clarification from someone who knows. I THINK this is just a return to a previous position, not new legislation. And I THINK that legislation actually did not bar a USA citizen from Cuba travel, just from spending money in Cuba, effectively the same thing.

Was the previous rule truly about spending money?
Is the simply a reinstatement if the original rule?
OR is this some new legislation?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 06-05-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

US citizens have traveled to Cuba for decades, via another country. Often, via Bahamas, Mexico or Canada. I don't agree with the practice, but have lost count of how many people I personally know who've done it. The bigger question is whether this will be cracked down upon.

It is clearly political, nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I have zero interest in going there, until it gets resolved. There are so many other, equal interesting, places on the globe and I'll never get to them all. It seems to be human nature to want what you're told you can't have.

Go to Puerto Rico. It's a gem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

No new legislation has been passed. This is just a tightening up of the enforcement. The Obama administration relaxed the enforcement in two significant ways:

1. They allowed you to go without prior approval.
2. They allowed almost ANY kind of visit to be accepted as a "cultural" or "educational" exchange.

The Trump administration is just returning to stricter enforcement of the law, as it is written.

The headline on the article is a bit misleading and sensationalistic, since we are not "now" banned from traveling there, but have been for decades. The law is simply "now" being enforced.
MarkofSeaLife and scubadoo like this.

Last edited by denverd0n; 06-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-05-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

this is due to the dealings of cuba with nicaraugua and venezuela. https://dolartoday.com/eeuu-aplica-n...ldVDocThd08iVw
PhilCarlson likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #6 of 26 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The headline on the article is a bit misleading and sensationalistic, since we are not "now" banned from traveling there, but have been for decades. The law is simply "now" being enforced.
Sorry, I was using "now" as to mean 2019 as opposed to Obama's loosening or the previous system. It wasn't meant be be sensationalist in the manner you describe, I just didn't want people telling me US citizens have been banned since 1963.
Remember, I'm Australian so I don't know all your laws

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

The law does not actually ban an Americanís presence in Cuba. It forbids, without permission, having any economic transactions with Cuba. You canít spend any money there, nor allow anyone to spend it on your behalf. Since US insurance is inapplicable in Cuba, they require you purchase a short term policy, when you arive. A really good idea, BTW. The US should do the same, if a tourist or immigrant is uninsured. So there is no way to avoid spending money, even if you brought your boat and didnít have to pay for a room or food.

There have always been valid reasons to apply for permission. From memory, those included having family there, or being in the press or clergy on business, among a few others. Vacation was never one of them.

The Obama administration added a ďpeople to peopleĒ valid reason. Essentially a group had to have some formal program associated with it. It was just a silly way to get around the law they obviously didnít want to change. I know several who went on one of these people-people things. They were simply approved tour groups and pretty pricey. Thatís what they will no longer grant as an exception.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

Have wanted to sail to Cuba since I got my first sailboat about 20 years ago. Had nothing to do with being told you aren't able to travel there. The fact that it's less than a hundred miles from the keys is one thing that I find appealing, would be nice to incorporate it into a trip to the keys which is more than likely about as far as I'll ever venture. Looks like it will be another winter before I'll be able to make the trip since I'll most likely still be putting the boat back together this coming winter. Maybe things will change before I make the trip.... who knows. Regime change in both countries would probably help.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

The Bahamas are closer, if thatís an issue. The out islands are absolutely fantastic. Stay away from Nassau and Freeport. The Bahamas donít have the Latin culture, but you donít have to travel much further to find it. Then again, you can find all the Latin culture you like right in Miami. 🙂

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 26 Old 06-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Sorry, I was using "now" as to mean 2019 as opposed to Obama's loosening or the previous system.
No need for an apology. The article you linked made it sound like this was some new change to the law, which it is not. I probably shouldn't have focused so much on the word "now," as on the implication in the article that the laws had changed.

Anyway, it's all good (as they say).
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in