Tips for not getting cheated on fuel when chartering. - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-28-2014 Thread Starter

Tips for not getting cheated on fuel when chartering.

Hi everyone, we chartered with a company in the BVI in 2013. I don't want to name the company we used, but at the end of the charter, we were billed for diesel required to top up the tank. Fair enough, except that the number of gallons the charter company claimed we used was way more than we estimated it to be. They don't have a tank and pump at the dock, they fill using 5 gallon jugs, so we don't see the total until we get billed.

Any tips to deal with this? Often the boats I charter are not brand new, and the fuel gauge may be suspect. I was thinking of dipping the tank at the beginning and end, but depending on how the tank to deck connection is set up, it may be difficult.

Or, finding someplace to fill the tank ourselves just before we return the boat.

Preserved Killick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2014

Re: Tips for not getting cheated on fuel when chartering.

I've always filled up myself before returning the boat
post #3 of 14 Old 09-28-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)

If the company didn't have its own fuel dock, maybe the price was higher because they charged a service fee? Or just maybe they were sloppy about recording from a previous charter or confused different boat fill-ups, or who knows what; and yes the gauge could have well been way off. Many companies probably would love it if you topped off on the way back into the base.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-29-2014
Land lubber

Did you call or write the charter company with your concerns? Were they responsive to you? Start at the source. They may be willing to 'make it right' with you. If not, suggest that there are many charter companies to choose from and you will choose another next time.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-29-2014

I've filled up at Soper's hole, headed to Norman island where we spend the last day/night before returning to the moorings base. I honestly don't recall getting an additional fuel bill at the end of a trip.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2014
Old as Dirt!

I have yet to see a diesel engine without an hour meter on the panel. Record the time run when you're going through the boat with the Charter Company rep at the start of the charter and have him/her initial the entry. Do the same at the time of returning the boat so you will know the total hours run during the charter. For engines in the 50hp range at normal operating speeds--say 2500 RPM--one can safely figure a consumption in the range of .9 gal per hour. With that, assuming a 7 day charter at 5 hours of running time a day one is looking at about 31.5 gallons consumed. With fuel in some areas at $6-$7 per gallon you'd be looking at, roughly, $221 (USD) for fuel although some companies may ad a 15% service charge as well so, a max of $254 (USD).

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 14 Old 09-30-2014
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Many companies probably would love it if you topped off on the way back into the base.
Oh I doubt that. They make a good amount off the sale of fuel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #8 of 14 Old 10-01-2014
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

Huh? So let's say 100 gallons are needed and the evil charter company marks up fuel by $3/gallon. They have to pay somebody to fuel the boat so maybe they make $280. Is that a good amount off of a charter in the $5k range?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

You're talking about a fuel bill in the low three digits, at most, on a $2k-$4k charter, with a very small profit margin on the fuel, and they have to do it by lugging 5-gallon jugs? No, I think they'd be glad to have you top it off.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned recording your engine hours. That's really the best way to get a reasonable estimate of your fuel usage, if you can't top it off yourself.

For what it's worth, our small NC charter operation handles this in much the same way. Each charterer starts with a full tank. They can either top up before returning the boat (fuel dock is ~6 miles out), or I can top it off after their charter, by jugs. I do include a very small premium in the price per gallon for the time and trouble, so they can choose whether or not they want to save a marginal amount of money by stopping on the way in. It's rarely more than 10 or 15 gallons, as most are on the boat for a week or less, and hopefully sailing. We also log engine hours between each charter, but I doubt many of the charterers pay any attention to it. Never had any complaints about the fuel bill being out of line.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-20-2014

Red face Re: Tips for not getting cheated on fuel when chartering.

You're not alone, Preserved. Last charter we took, we did fill the tank on the way back and notified management. After running the engine only in the harbor while docking the boat, we completed the final inspection without any issues.

Once we got home, there was a $100 fuel charge on our credit card, leaving us with the decision whether to challenge it or not. In the end, we didn't bother, but in retrospect, I wish we had insisted they top up the tank while we disembarked. It would have saved us a hundred bucks.

Maybe it's simply a sign that we're dealing with a somewhat unscrupulous company or employee. Caveat emptor!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in