Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 12-02-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

I just returned from a week long charter in the Exumas through Dream Yacht charters and the Navtours base.

First (and most important) the bottom line: the Exumas were beautiful and I would go again and use Dream/Navtours.

The Exumas: much more spartan than BVI or the Windward islands. In November you will have the anchorages to yourself, with maybe 1 or 2 others. There are not many "beach bars" though some upscale resort restaurants. We ate on board most nights. The navigation is fairly straightforward (we stayed on the banks and did not navigate through the cuts to the sound, simply because it wasn't necessary). The water is gorgeous and and the scenery stunning. Nice hiking and Thunderball grotto is a necessary stop, as is Shroud Cay and Leaf Cay.

The base: the Navtours base is nice. Located on Nassau about 20 minutes from the airport at a private marina and resort. You have use of the pool, bar and restaurant - a nice way to ease into a vacation. There is a good grocery store a few minutes away and Navtours will shuttle you to the store and back. They will even provide bags to carry your groceries. The store has everything you need.

One minor downside is that the base is a full days sail from the Exumas chain. That means that a 7 day charter turns into a 5 day Exumas cruise and one day in and out. That said, it is a nice sail. You do have to cross the Yellow Banks, an area with about 10-12 foot depth and several large coral heads that can ruin your day and are reported to come within 4 feet of the surface. I believe it. In good conditions (on our way out) with a clear sky and sun overhead it was easy to see the coral head against a white sand backdrop. We quickly got used to dodging the coral. On our return, with overcast skies and 20+ knots of breeze whipping up a chop, it was much harder to see the coral but we managed to get through without incident.

The Boat: we chartered a monohull (Dufour 382 - wish we could have chartered the Jeanneau379). The Dofour was adequate, but it's clear that the boats suffer and don't quite get the same level of care as in other bases. We arrived around 1pm and went shopping to prepare to board at 4:30 per the charter terms. After shopping, they told us to have a drink at the bar (they gave us 2 drinks tickets) and they would let us know when our boat was ready. Around 5pm, we inquired on the status and they said they weren't quite done "cleaning the boat" and wanted to do a good job before turning the boat over. They brought 2 more drink tickets. OK, no problem. About an hour later, they said they weren't sure when it would be ready. But, they said they would buy us dinner while we waited.

We went in search of our boat and found that the prior charter had run aground and significantly damaged the rudder. They had removed the rudder for repairs and were having some difficulty reinstalling the rudder. Still, they assured us they were making progress,so we went and enjoyed a very nice dinner (and bottle of wine) on them. The meals were not cheap and it was a very nice gesture on their part.

By the time we finished dinner, they told us the boat was ready. We loaded up around 9pm or so. The boat had a noticeable diesel odor and we learned that it had also had a diesel leak (apparently the filter gasket failed). They did their best to clean it up, and the bilge was full of baking soda,but the foam insulation was soaked and while it wasn't awful, it was noticeable - particularly when motoring and the heat hit the insulation.

Since there was only the two of us, we slept in the v-berth forward and with the breeze, had no odor while sleeping. A minor issue for us.

We had a few other issues with the boat. The batteries were barely adequate. The house batteries barely kept the fridge running overnight. I generally turned off the fridge in the wee hours and then started them up again in the morning as we ran the engine to charge over breakfast. For some reason the solar panels were disconnected. The start battery was worse and failed once (this could have been affected by operator error) but we managed. We did try to get some assistance once, but it was too rough for the chase boat to get across the bank. They did their best to accommodate but we ended up fixing it ourselves.

I mention the above not to discourage anyone, but rather to set the expectations. The area is simply more remote than some other cruising grounds, and you need to be flexible and prepared to make some repairs on your own (just as you would if it was your own boat). The reward is an unspoiled and remote island experience. Worth the trade for us. Next time, I would either try a one way charter, or just go for a longer period. We just didn't have enough time to really see what we wanted. The wind was against us the whole way - we sailed south into southerly winds and then when we turned around, so did the wind and we beat back into northerlies. It made for longer sailing days and less time to explore on land.

Set your expectations and go and have a great time.
Sailbaum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 12-03-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailbaum View Post
The Boat: we chartered a monohull (Dufour 382 - wish we could have chartered the Jeanneau379).
I think this is the same boat we're going with in a few weeks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mikael is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-03-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
I think this is the same boat we're going with in a few weeks
You will have a great time. It does have one advantage over the 379 in that it has a full beam swim platform.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Sailbaum is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 Old 12-04-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailbaum View Post
You will have a great time. It does have one advantage over the 379 in that it has a full beam swim platform.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
I'm sure we will and thank you!

We tried to get the 379 but after a lot of calendar and flight schedule engineering the 382 was the absolutely only monohull available


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mikael is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-17-2018
Invictus
 
Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailbaum View Post
I just returned from a week long charter in the Exumas through Dream Yacht charters and the Navtours base.

First (and most important) the bottom line: the Exumas were beautiful and I would go again and use Dream/Navtours.

The Exumas: much more spartan than BVI or the Windward islands. In November you will have the anchorages to yourself, with maybe 1 or 2 others. There are not many "beach bars" though some upscale resort restaurants. We ate on board most nights. The navigation is fairly straightforward (we stayed on the banks and did not navigate through the cuts to the sound, simply because it wasn't necessary). The water is gorgeous and and the scenery stunning. Nice hiking and Thunderball grotto is a necessary stop, as is Shroud Cay and Leaf Cay.

The base: the Navtours base is nice. Located on Nassau about 20 minutes from the airport at a private marina and resort. You have use of the pool, bar and restaurant - a nice way to ease into a vacation. There is a good grocery store a few minutes away and Navtours will shuttle you to the store and back. They will even provide bags to carry your groceries. The store has everything you need.

One minor downside is that the base is a full days sail from the Exumas chain. That means that a 7 day charter turns into a 5 day Exumas cruise and one day in and out. That said, it is a nice sail. You do have to cross the Yellow Banks, an area with about 10-12 foot depth and several large coral heads that can ruin your day and are reported to come within 4 feet of the surface. I believe it. In good conditions (on our way out) with a clear sky and sun overhead it was easy to see the coral head against a white sand backdrop. We quickly got used to dodging the coral. On our return, with overcast skies and 20+ knots of breeze whipping up a chop, it was much harder to see the coral but we managed to get through without incident.

.

Thanks Sailbaum - we are planning a charter to the Exumas and most likely will go with a cat with DYC/Navtours since I have chartered with them before.

My biggest issue is fresh water as their boats don't have a watermaker and the water unavailability in the remote areas. With larger group/few first timers tanks go empty pretty fast.

Any other tip as to re-provisioning on the islands and some not-to-miss anchorages?

Cheers!
Invictus is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-17-2018
thinking of this...
 
JSL3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay, South River
Posts: 220
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

We chartered a cat in February of 2018 from Navtours and liked it so much, we're doing it again in February of 2019.
Our charter was one way from Nassau to Staniel Cay. We were very happy with the boat (a new Lagoon 450), the base employees and the beautiful scenery of the Exumas.
In case you haven't seen this document, it has a lot of great info:
https://www.navtours.com/fichiersUpl...017-18-low.pdf
I second the idea of managing your expectations. Once you leave Nassau and arrive in the Exuma chain, it is remote. That's the beauty of it. The downside is water and provisioning have to be planned.

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
JSL3 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-17-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Invictus,

As far as food provisioning goes, the store near the base is excellent and should have everything you need. But I would recommend stocking up as other provisioning is more difficult. You can provision and likely get water at Highborne, Compass and Staniel Cays, not sure about anywhere else. We particularly liked shroud cay and exploring the mangrove channels through the island.

I would recommend JSL3's approach of one way if that's an option for you. That will give you a much more leisurely pace.

Can't help much with the water - we clean up in saltwater and limit freshwater to rinsing. We used gallon jugs for coffee and cooking (though the boat did have a good filter to use the tank for drinking water). We had plenty of water left.
RegisteredUser likes this.
Sailbaum is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-22-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailbaum View Post
I would recommend JSL3's approach of one way if that's an option for you. That will give you a much more leisurely pace.

Can't help much with the water - we clean up in saltwater and limit freshwater to rinsing. We used gallon jugs for coffee and cooking (though the boat did have a good filter to use the tank for drinking water). We had plenty of water left.
Five days until we leave

Regarding water, we were two persons on a Lagoon 39 and had two tanks of water. There was plenty left over after one week. It wasn't drinkable (no filter either) though.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mikael is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 01-13-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Navtours in Bahamas - Anyone have experience with them?

We returned and it was great!

We had some small issues as well, but nothing serious. The staff was wonderful, the boat very good and the Exumas super.

Here's my blog post about it:
https://nakedsailor.blog/2019/01/13/...vtours-exumas/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mikael is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting experience Adeodato Learning to Sail 2 09-23-2013 09:08 AM
Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience? Orseay General Discussion (sailing related) 257 07-23-2013 06:47 PM
Looking for experience in NC Bermuda30 Crew Wanted/Available 2 09-10-2007 12:13 PM
Bahamas. Great Exuma Island, Bahamas set to host Exuma Celebrity Bonefish Classic @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-14-2006 04:15 AM
I need experience with you a1line Living Aboard 1 02-07-2002 05:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome