Decided on st martin- I think - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Dock
Re: Decided on st martin- I think

In St Martin for a great skippers catamaran you could try Tradewinds. They come with skipper and a cook and a large cat with scuba kit and good planning in the best spots.

For the actual birthday dinner you could do St Barts Nikki Beach restaurant. It's world class... price would be over $120 USD per person incl their cheapest wine.... It's where the rich and richer go.

Sunsail/moorings can supply a skipper too.

I wouldn't go for a second tier charter company as theur boats are generally older.

Best restaurants in St Martin at Marina Royal: Tropicana and at Grande Case: The Cottage or Aubgine or something like that... But all are good and 5 exceptional.

Agree with you to arrive a few days early and get over the jet lag etc. A nice beach resort will get rid of work thoughts.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 04-13-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I thought we were talking Antigua to St Bart. What's the 17 mile leg?
I was under the assumption that the OP was boarding in St Martin.
Sorry.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
That right there told me that St. Barths does not want people like me on the island.
That's pretty much the way it's been since I first sailed into the Caribbean. These days they charge by the square foot to anchor there. Yep, you heard me right, by the square foot: length by beam.
Way back when, running "YACHT" charters through there, I had one customer spend more on a watch and jewelry in an hour than I've ever spent on fees, restaurants and bars, in all the years I've been stopping there.
Those are the folks St Barths caters to. However, it is a wholly unique island, and therefore quite interesting to visit.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #14 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
. These days they charge by the square foot to anchor there. Yep, you heard me right, by the square foot: length by beam.
t.
Bulltwaddle!

Only 1 anchorage you pay at, Gustavia and it's $9 per night for a 40 foot boat.

Colombier is free as is isle Forshue.

I don't know if u pay at shell beach but I think not.

No clearance fee.

Anyway its insignificant.

Mark

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

post #15 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Bulltwaddle!

Only 1 anchorage you pay at, Gustavia and it's $9 per night for a 40 foot boat.

Colombier is free as is isle Forshue.

I don't know if u pay at shell beach but I think not.

No clearance fee.

Anyway its insignificant.

Mark
Last time we were in there they charged us the length by the width. If they've dropped that, then great. But that was our experience in Gustavia in 2012 or 13. It's not like one doesn't remember something like that.

post #16 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I spent a day of 2002 in St. Barths. Soft drinks and glasses of water cost $8 each. That right there told me that St. Barths does not want people like me on the island.

Of course, I and my crew were not chain-smoking, Euro-fashionistas, so we were marked as obvious Americans or Canadians. Sometimes I can understand why places like St. Barts don't want Americans there.
We've been to St Barths twice on Sun/Sunsail charters out of Oyster Bay, St. Martin. We didn't go there to impress anybody, so we weren't offended when nobody took notice of us. We enjoyed a couple of restaurants in Gustavia and had the mandatory cheeseburger in paradise. We did find the harbor authority had a stereotypical Gallic attitude toward us North Americans--even if your surname is recognizably French. We don't dwell on these things, nor did we go shopping in the tony boutiques, but we did take a taxi tour of the island and stopped at some of the classy small resorts at the insistence of the driver. Overall, we didn't feel unwelcome and found the experience interesting. We did not find the restaurant prices unreasonable everything considered.

We did encounter island hospitality on our second trip, when we realized our refrigeration wasn't working and we couldn't raise the base on our VHF. We were anchored in Columbier and trekked over the hill to Flamands to a tony beachside hotel to make a phone call. The hotel was very accommodating and even asked us (in our casual sailing outfits, no less!) if we would like to stay for lunch. We declined but bought a couple of Caribs from their beach bar for $10 each and enjoyed the beachfront for a short while before heading back to the boat to meet the mechanic.

I would go back to St Barths, but not until I check off a long list of other stops on my bucket list.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
...These days they charge by the square foot to anchor there. Yep, you heard me right, by the square foot: length by beam...
No, they don't. All they use for anchoring charges are the boat's length; and it is less expensive than staying in English Harbour or Falmouth Harbour in Antigua, as well.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #18 of 20 Old 04-17-2017

Hey guys we just left st.barth. $82 after being on anchor for six days in Anse de Colombe. Boat is 46'lod and 13.5'. Yes, they currently charge by the square foot everywhere. But cost is minimal and doesn't change if on anchor or mooring. Compared to BVI actually cheaper if you have people getting on and leaving the boat. Compared to St. Martin hard to do. Trick there is to anchor in Marigot not on the Dutch side and dinghy to budget, island water or isle marine ( in the channel ) and do it on the computer. If you go to the gov't facilities pay a lot more. Trick in BVI is to clear/exit at Gun creek and stay away from Road Town/ Sopers at all costs. Culebra for PR. Cruz for USVI. Further south usually not much choice.
As regards Barth costs.
Grocery costs are very reasonable and food is great. Best veggies and red meats we've seen. Red meat in Caribbean usually sucks in our experience so Barth was a change. Bread is cheap and much better than elsewhere.
Liquor same as elsewhere in liquor store.
Hardware and boat supplies are reasonable. Only thing that's crazy is bars/restaurants. We had breakfast ( coffee, juice and two crepes) for $100 so only had one meal there.
So far best snorkeling has been in St.John and Spanish Virgins. Very disappointed with snorkeling in both Martin and Barth but especially Martin. Lots of dead coral.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #19 of 20 Old 04-17-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hey guys we just left st.barth. $82 after being on anchor for six days in Anse de Colombe. Boat is 46'lod and 13.5'. Yes, they currently charge by the square foot everywhere.
Well I stand corrected.
I didn't think there was any cost for Columbier nor sq footage.

A week at new year cost me 26 euros in Gustavia.

Sea Life

post #20 of 20 Old 05-11-2017
WCR

No need to go so far and wide for good sailing, fun, and food. I've sailed and chartered in these waters many many times. Sail out of Marigot and head to Anguilla. Visit the Dog/Seal islands to the NW and then head around and spend a night in Grand Case / Orient Bay and/or Tintamarre and then head to Ile Fourche for a night on your way to St Barth. Anchor in Colombier and/or Gustavia. Too far to dinghy from Colombier to town. Especially at night.

Nice mix of out island / port towns. Let me know if you need a hand. I'll beat all of their rates and guarantee an unforgettable cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3444.jpg   StBarth2.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in