Using the internet to get customers - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 87 Old 02-15-2019

Re: Using the internet to get customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
There might not be as much competition locally for them, but the internet competition is fierce, and if Google does not place your website high it will kill any business that is forced to reply on internet bookings to survive. I've seen my reservations drop over the course of one day due to Google changing their algorithm and moving my website lower after I finally got it to page 1 with a lot of work.
I have switched to Duck Duck Go https://duckduckgo.com/as my primary search engine for a number of reasons and do not miss Google or their company policies. You might try to do a search on their site and see if you reach higher in the search results compared to Google. IMO Google and others like Patreon need some good competition in the market place. They are starting to appear and should be promoted.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 87 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I have switched to Duck Duck Go https://duckduckgo.com/as my primary search engine for a number of reasons and do not miss Google or their company policies. You might try to do a search on their site and see if you reach higher in the search results compared to Google. IMO Google and others like Patreon need some good competition in the market place. They are starting to appear and should be promoted.
As much as it might be fun to imagine a business seeking an internet presence could survive w/o Google, the 2018 facts just don't support it.
world wide;
1) Google. Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors: 1.6 billion. ...
2) Bing. Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors: 400 million. ...
3) Yahoo. Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors: 300 million. ...
4) Ask. Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors: 245 million. ...
5) Aol Search. Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors: 125 million. ...
Europe;
• Google 92%
• Bing 5%
• Yahoo 1%
• DuckDuckGo 0.6%
• Yandex 0.2%
But thanks.
Minnesail likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #73 of 87 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
This is drifting a bit, but: I’ve tried some tests with Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Ecosia, and Google, and Google was clearly better than the rest.

I tested using sailing terms and Google more frequently had a result on the first page that gave me the answer I was looking for. The rest seemed to favor commercial pages over informational pages.

For most of the tests I used normal search terms, but at the end I went off the rails a bit and entered:
that one guy on ST:TNG who goes on to be superhuman or a god or something

Google’s first result gave me the answer, the character was Barclay and the episode was “The Nth Degree.” None of the other search engines came up with a page with the answer.

Regarding Andrew’s webpage, I think I would put in some good interior pictures. Since a lot of his customer haven’t been sailing before they might not have any idea what the accommodations are like. Good professional (ahem, wide angle bordering on fisheye) pictures would do a lot to reassure people that they’ll be spending a week in luxury, not cramped before the mast in a Master and Commander situation.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #74 of 87 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Walk-ons are almost unheard of on term charter or even bare boats. When folks lay out a couple of grand on flights and hotels, there is rarely a way to get out of the hotel reservations for a few days of sailing.
What most folks do not realize, without a bunch of paperwork and permits you cannot take passengers on your boat if you do not leave the country. Even in the states, a foreign flag vessel cannot do coastwise trade. This means any non-American registered boat must take their passengers to the Bahamas or Canada (and clear in and out) before returning to the states with their customers.
My point was the fellow did not see the opportunity that his boats could help sell his Sailing School services while just sitting at the dock. Not as walk ons but, might have gotten people sitting at the restaurant thinking about taking lessons. Likewise when we just chartered in the Maldives the boats sail cover had the name of the charter company in big letters. A few "cattle boats" doing snorkeling trips would pass by perhaps sparking some interest from some of the passengers who then would turn to an Internet search for a possible future charter.

Mike

post #75 of 87 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Regarding Andrew’s webpage, I think I would put in some good interior pictures. Since a lot of his customer haven’t been sailing before they might not have any idea what the accommodations are like. Good professional (ahem, wide angle bordering on fisheye) pictures would do a lot to reassure people that they’ll be spending a week in luxury, not cramped before the mast in a Master and Commander situation.
We've done over twenty five charters over the years and one thing that is critical is a picture of the boats boarding ladder. It has to meet my gals approval for ease of boarding since snorkeling is the primary reason for doing the charter. We often have to ask for a photo as many boats rarely will show it on their webpage. They do however often show those lovely interior shots of the main cabin which we rarely ever use as we spend most of our time including having all meals in the cockpit.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike

post #76 of 87 Old 02-15-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

When the population of Red China was merely one billion, they had a saying:
"If you are one in a thousand, there are 999 others just waiting to replace you."

Literally, one thousand fungible replacements for every position.

And it is the same way with Gargoyle and the other internet search engines. Anything that anyone can do to make their page number one? Anyone else can do, and unless you've got the time and resources to constantly rework your page, it will float and and down depending simply on who is fastest at gaming the algorithms.

In the very early days, supposedly Google ranked a page largely by how many people had visited it, by how popular it was. Which made it of limited use as a research tool, because the results were always a popularity game--not one designed to give you the best sources of information. Very different from today.

So realistically, you can either try to buy very precise ad words (unlike the Target store chain, which apparently buys everything and then when you click on a link, promptly says "There's nothing like that in our stores" more often than not) or else keep trying to chase the algorithms. With paid help, or as a hobby (beats stamp collecting?), or simply as an Augean task.

Maybe Capta would at least have more fun if he hired out the Goodyear blimp? (G)
capta likes this.
post #77 of 87 Old 02-25-2019
Yamsailor

I agree with your assessment regarding interior photos. I am working on it this spring.

"Regarding Andrew’s webpage, I think I would put in some good interior pictures. Since a lot of his customer haven’t been sailing before they might not have any idea what the accommodations are like. Good professional (ahem, wide angle bordering on fisheye) pictures would do a lot to reassure people that they’ll be spending a week in luxury, not cramped before the mast in a Master and Commander situation."
Minnesail likes this.

Sail Your Story!

post #78 of 87 Old 02-26-2019

Wow! Thanks for sharing these facts. Many of us didn't know how much traffic does other search engines get.
post #79 of 87 Old 02-27-2019

There are no. of ways to get thousands of hits on your site.
1. Your content should be the most attractive one.
2. Promote your content through blog posts.
3. Reply to those comments regularly and in a polite way.
Build Backlinks so that Google places your site in higher positions. You can do that through Web 2.0, Business Listing, Image Submission, etc..
post #80 of 87 Old 02-27-2019

Hey I have found an amazing website (Commercial message removed in accordance with SailNet Forum Rules- Jeff_H SailNet Moderator)

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-27-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in