pacific seacraft - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 02-25-2020

Re: pacific seacraft

Owned a 34. Loved it. Sold it to go cruising.
As Bob Perry said when he was on this site waterline means speed.
I also love Valiants. Still any canoe stern or double ended means.
Less cockpit space.
Less room for generators, watermakers etc.
No sugar scoop so much less convenience getting out of a dinghy, loading supplies or just going for a dip.
Iíve read a lot about these sterns supposed advantages in a following sea. Have come to the conclusion itís bogus. In fact thereís a multiplicity of factors that determine this behavior. My current boat (a transomed sugar scooped Outbound) is better behaved than my prior Tayana 37 or PSC34. Even when surfing.
For the mono hull cruiser I think there are multiple important concerns
Live ability ( adequate tankage with no need for jugs on deck, huge storage for spares, tools and provisions)
Days work. How many miles made good in 24h. That means in all conditions and at all points of sale. It also means how fast youíre willing to go. My current boat and in fact most monos or multis are usually throttled back. Mainly for comfort but also to not stress the boat. So a boat thatís pleasant near its hull speed will make faster passages than a theoretically faster boat that becomes unpleasant sooner.
Ease of servicing. Because of the basic design itís usually more difficult and involves more boat yoga to service any of the subtypes of double enders. Even fantails until they get quite large.
Displacement. How much weight you can carry determines what you can bring. If you didnít bring it you donít have it. There isnít Waste Marine outside the states.
Have been thinking of flipping to the dark side so looking closely at principle dimensions. A Norhavn 475 has the same or more effective living space, carrying capacity and creature comforts as a Artnautica 58. The Norhavn is 10í feet smaller LOA/LWL and quite a bit heavier. Both are strong RTW boats. Both can tolerate storms not just gales. Both represent the peak of current thinking but are vastly different approaches. Similarly Creelock designed a true classic. A truly great boat but below 40/44 itís narrow, has less usable space, particularly slow under power, hard to board, a PIA if you need to Med moor, and offers no particular advantages compared with a well executed transom sternned vessel.
But until you get to the 44 or possibly the 40 I think due to beam, overhangs, displacement thereís just not enough room in any of the PSCs for long term voyaging liveaboards to be in real comfort.
Would I buy another PSC. You betcha. But not for long distance cruising except for the 64í or a recent 44.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 02-25-2020

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntadeleste View Post
Does anybody know of a charter company that has Pacific Seacraft sailboats in their fleet ?
Like most things, ask Google. The answer...
Anacortes Yacht Charters
post #13 of 15 Old 02-25-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yes I think thatís definitely one of the reasons however there are nice charters of boats other than benetaus jeaneus, and Catamarans. , which I would consider chartering before a PSC. Tartans, Calipers, HR, for instance.

I like the PSC as a good small ocean worth cruiser if you want a narrow, footprint. The are average speed wise with quality workmanship. Great for sea kindliness and easily singlehanded.

It definitely has a niche of owners like you who are loyal to their brand, just like any other brand. Itís isnít really any more spendy than many other well made brands of similar length. I have never used price as a criterion for which boat is necessarily better. Besides itís what you are looking for in a boat. Charters are more about volume.

Understand I am not disparaging them , my good friend has a 37.

I have personally never know a charter company to offer Tartans, sure some maybe do but don't know of any. HR's maybe but only heard of them in Europe which makes sense given they are based there. Sure there are others but the bulk of the charter fleets are especially configured Bene's, Jeanneau, Hunter, etc. for the charter market so that they can accommodate many incarnations of charter parties. Even a new Tartan 395 is about $450k which is $250k less than the new PSC 40. Let's face it, no one is gunna pay more in a charter for a narrower, less goodie filled boat designed to circumnavigate the world so they can island hop for a week in the Caribbean. I wouldn't. The poor owner who is out $700k for the PSC can never begin to recoup costs. Ain't gunna happen, not that you are guaranteed to with a less expensive boat either.

PSC has chosen to keep the designs unchanged, for as we know, the demands of the sea remain unchanged. They are purpose built and if you are not inclined to appreciate that purpose, they are, in spite of looks, quality, whatever, the wrong boat. The major design shifts have been in response to creature comfort, such as more spacious cockpits, wider transoms for larger lockers for the extra "stuff" and more spacious aft staterooms, plumb bows for more LWL enhancing marketability and comfort but not necessarily better sea handling or worthiness. The real emerging dominant force for charters is the catamaran, and in particular power cats. Let's face it, no matter how you weigh in on it, Cats have better livability, comfort at anchor, space to luxuriate in the sun, shallower draft, private quarters, yada yada. I guarantee if we charter in the islands it's gunna be a Cat. You're only island hopping anyway cuz ya gotta stay within the reach of the charter company. Remember we have a 31 foot Pacific Seacraft. We clearly didn't get it because of her accommodations or price per pound of displacement. We could have owned a much newer, much larger boat for the same price. I didn't say better. It just fits our needs. I single hand much or just two of us and 31 is just fine by me! We actually looked at 34's and 37's and liked the layout better on the 31. Did look at a 40 as well...but we are mortal human beings! Plus we weren't really fans of the canoe stern on the larger models as it already limits space aft on already relatively short on space boats! Gotta love they way they look though.

....so hope the OP can find his way onto one, they do sail themselves (as any proper design should). If we have Interlude trimmed well she will hold course without a hand on the wheel or auto pilot engaged, though we do like having Ray aboard, uh Ray Marine!

oh... a final note about speed, little bits add up and clearly if you are hoping to make time on a passage even a 1 knot difference in speed adds up. If this is a consideration then speedier boats may be better suited for you than PSC's. However sometimes speed comes with the price of discomfort and stress on a rig. We are in no hurry. Rather finish rested than first! Many other boats fit this description as well. Good luck.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-25-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Like most things, ask Google. The answer...
Anacortes Yacht Charters

Yup and good one to have, though may be a little prejudiced! Out of the 14 sailboats they offer 10 were Beneteau, Jenneau, or Cats.

I rest my case!
post #15 of 15 Old 02-26-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I have personally never know a charter company to offer Tartans, sure some maybe do but don't know of any. HR's maybe but only heard of them in Europe which makes sense given they are based there. Sure there are others but the bulk of the charter fleets are especially configured Bene's, Jeanneau, Hunter, etc. for the charter market so that they can accommodate many incarnations of charter parties. Even a new Tartan 395 is about $450k which is $250k less than the new PSC 40. Let's face it, no one is gunna pay more in a charter for a narrower, less goodie filled boat designed to circumnavigate the world so they can island hop for a week in the Caribbean. I wouldn't. The poor owner who is out $700k for the PSC can never begin to recoup costs. Ain't gunna happen, not that you are guaranteed to with a less expensive boat either.

PSC has chosen to keep the designs unchanged, for as we know, the demands of the sea remain unchanged. They are purpose built and if you are not inclined to appreciate that purpose, they are, in spite of looks, quality, whatever, the wrong boat. The major design shifts have been in response to creature comfort, such as more spacious cockpits, wider transoms for larger lockers for the extra "stuff" and more spacious aft staterooms, plumb bows for more LWL enhancing marketability and comfort but not necessarily better sea handling or worthiness. The real emerging dominant force for charters is the catamaran, and in particular power cats. Let's face it, no matter how you weigh in on it, Cats have better livability, comfort at anchor, space to luxuriate in the sun, shallower draft, private quarters, yada yada. I guarantee if we charter in the islands it's gunna be a Cat. You're only island hopping anyway cuz ya gotta stay within the reach of the charter company. Remember we have a 31 foot Pacific Seacraft. We clearly didn't get it because of her accommodations or price per pound of displacement. We could have owned a much newer, much larger boat for the same price. I didn't say better. It just fits our needs. I single hand much or just two of us and 31 is just fine by me! We actually looked at 34's and 37's and liked the layout better on the 31. Did look at a 40 as well...but we are mortal human beings! Plus we weren't really fans of the canoe stern on the larger models as it already limits space aft on already relatively short on space boats! Gotta love they way they look though.

....so hope the OP can find his way onto one, they do sail themselves (as any proper design should). If we have Interlude trimmed well she will hold course without a hand on the wheel or auto pilot engaged, though we do like having Ray aboard, uh Ray Marine!

oh... a final note about speed, little bits add up and clearly if you are hoping to make time on a passage even a 1 knot difference in speed adds up. If this is a consideration then speedier boats may be better suited for you than PSC's. However sometimes speed comes with the price of discomfort and stress on a rig. We are in no hurry. Rather finish rested than first! Many other boats fit this description as well. Good luck.
You are Probably only looking at large charter companies here. Which is fine if you want to sail with the herd and donít want to venture to places away from the crowds. We prefer chartering in WORLD areas where we will see more than a myriad of moorings off a touristy Carribean Island . No put down here just a different style and more adventuresome. If you want to sample other boats you have to get away from the big charter companies.
Itís an easy internet search and you can drill down. You can find many different sailboats here from Bavariaís to HR to Tartans, Sabreís and Hanse. You just have to look past the big boys.

There are a couple of easily found examples of Tartans. We have chartered all over the country and the world. Not everything to charter is a production boat. We chartered HR in Denmark and on the Mediterranean. We have chartered a Shannon and Hanse in the San Juanís.

https://www.happycharter.com/en/boats/hallberg-rassy

Bareboat Charters - Charleston Sailing School

https://www.clickandboat.com/en/boat...rassy-36-b91pv

https://www.theglobesailor.com/yacht...-2408-201.html

https://www.getmyboat.com/trips/RNRerWyK/

https://www.hartge.com/charter.htm

https://www.yacht-charter.co.uk/charter/charter-fleet/

Sail Yachts-sail yachts for charter in the San Juan Islands and the Pacific Northwest

If I was going to do serious cruising PSC would be on my list albeit further down after Some true world travelers. It would make the short list though because of its build quality. Negatives....volume and speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in