Preplanning your charter route - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 06-12-2019

Re: Preplanning your charter route

I have not and probably will not charter in the VI's... but I've sailed past / thru them and spent a couple of weeks in Tortola before I was a sailor.

A charter is a limited time with the same starting and ending destination... and in the case of the VI's lots of islands/anchorages to visit with usually great weather and wind. As Minni suggested get out a cruising guide... determine which destinations/anchorages appeal to you... guesstimate the times to get to that location from the one you are... and then wing it. Some like the shore side stuff of whatever flavor... others the great sailing... and some like both. If you haven't figured which you like... once you jump in you'll figure it out pretty soon... and you'll discover there is no right, wrong or best plan. Usually there are more appealing options than time permits... so you'll be thinking about going down again before you've even left!
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 06-12-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think the kindergarten comment is unnecessarily disparaging.
I think you kinda missed the point of the comment.
For many, this is their first leap into the great unknown beyond their home cruising grounds and the thought can be just as daunting as it is exciting.
However, as you and everyone else has pointed out, most everything is line of sight and one can fully sail to their next island destination in a few hours or less. There are no major currents (Hell Gate anyone?) or tides to deal with. It is almost impossible to run aground unless you are completely incompetent, blind drunk or color blind, never mind can't read a chart or a cruising guide.
Almost all the sailing is between two island groups, therefore you just don't get the big ocean swells sailing the rest of the Caribbean can produce.
So, you may call my comment, which I completely stand by, disparaging, but I'd like to think it would bolster the confidence of those first-timers unsure if their skills are up to the task.
SanderO and Minnewaska like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 19 Old 06-12-2019

Whether it is kindergarten or not, Virgin Island sailing allows you to tailor each day for whatever you feel like when you wake up in the morning. You can get out of the channel and enjoy bigger waves if you want but equally stay in calmer waters. I did not read it as disparaging but suppose it would be possible to read it as suggesting that grown ups don’t sail there. We recently passed through on our way from Antigua back to New England and found it just as appealing as when we used to sail there more of the time.

For anyone who is wondering about North Sound on Virgin Gorda, the Bitter End Yacht Club does not exist in any physical form right now but everything is being built in Central America to be shipped in at the end of the year and they expect to be up and running by start of 2020. Leverick Bay is completely up and running (and Hog Heaven at the top of the hill, with arguably the best views in the Virgin Islands, is still doing the best ribs in the region). Saba Island is mid construction and apparently will be ready for the new season.

Soper’s Hole in the West End is still on its knees. The pervasive smell of sewage seemed to have abated slightly but really best skipped until they have a chance to sort themselves out.

USVI and Puerto Rico (including Culebra and Vieques) are completely up and running - the only real evidence of the hurricanes is the lack of green foliage. At Cruz Bay, the CBP office is still under construction (and customs house on JvD similarly)
SanderO likes this.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think you kinda missed the point of the comment.

I'd like to think it would bolster the confidence of those first-timers unsure if their skills are up to the task.
Got it now. Probably a better way to describe that point, as I took it to mean, meant for children.

On the other hand, while many of us would navigate there with a beer in one hand, sandwich in the other and foot on the wheel, I know lifelong sailors that have never sailed outside protected water or ever picked up a mooring. Even competent sailors may find some of the cruising elements foreign enough that planning ahead has more value. I’ve personally sailed, in a gale, in SFD channel, which was spirited. Still, I would not be rigid, nor overestimate the degree of difficulty, which I get was your point.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-12-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

Capta, I didn't take the comment as disparaging... I'm on vacation, I want easy and fun. I go myself cause its easy, fun and I can still say, nope, we're staying an extra day, cause those rum punches were S-W-E-E-T!

Its fun to take a challenging sail to, but the spousal unit likely would not agree. BVIs = easy means wife = happy. Also the sailing ain't half bad if you wanna do that too.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #16 of 19 Old 06-13-2019

Speaking only about my experience...The first time that I chartered in the BVI..2005..I bought my own set of waterproof paper charts from Nautical Charts. They came as a set covering the BVI, USVI, and SVI. I had courses laid in with pencil for many scenarios.
There are a few incredibly positive things to be said about this...not the least of which is that it's good Seamanship to have a backup to electronics and Most importantly, to be informed of your waters and its hazards.
But I won't mention that. [HA!]
What I absolutely LOVE..this many years after 3 BVI Charters...is having these charts in my hand..with all of the routes, and corrections, and "Event" notes written on the charts the day that they happened...etc. INow that I own a boat, I may never be able, or want to, charter there again.
There is NO digital equivalent of this...and That makes me smile...
This is also a suggestion to keep a log...be sure to include the mundane and people related ...this is what will matter later.
Plan well...plan Sparsely...then only use it as a suggestion.
Being a good Captain, Anywhere, is exercising good judgement in a changing scenario..
Being a good Dad, or Mate, is making it look like it was never a big deal...it's about Fun...safely.
Patrick
SanderO and fallard like this.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-14-2019

Dock

I doubt @capta can remember what its like to be doing ones first full week in unfamiliar waters, on an unfamiliar boat, with an excited mob of friends or family bouncing off the walls, just after he has thrown his Credit Card in the deep end with a HUGE fee if he bangs the boat up.

I know plenty of places to bang into there, plus drag the anchor... like, has *anyone* ever anchored in Road Bay and NOT dragged????????????? The fastest way to get from Customs to the Moorings base is to anchor outside Customs!

BVI's are good

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #18 of 19 Old 06-14-2019
Rainwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Pre-planning takes some of the "fun" out of the adventure. With the exception of Anegada, the sailing is completely easy and line of sight.
"In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
-- David Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, Supreme Commander Allied Forces Europe, Principle Architect of Operation Overlord and a guy who knew a thing or two about plans.

Accordingly, I plan each cruise, including cruises I've made dozens of times, until I think I'm ready.

Not sure I've ever actually followed a plan, but it wasn't because there was no plan. If nothing else, you won't find me trying to sail against the tide under the Agate Pass Bridge again.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Last edited by Jammer Six; 06-14-2019 at 10:33 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-15-2019

No plan has ever survived the first shot in battle. You prepare, but can’t plan.

Or as the philosopher, Mike Tyson, once said, “everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face”

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in