Preplanning your charter route - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Preplanning your charter route

I use the Navionics app while boating at home (and the online free charts at http://webapp.navionics.com) for planning trips so I figure I'll use these tools to preplan for our charter in the Caribbean. Anyone have experience preplanning their charter routes? What should I consider? Where are your favorite spots in the BVI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Preplanning your charter route

I have used Navionics charts on an iPad to plan trips to the BVI and also for navigation (not really needed but easier for me than learning the boat system). No experience with online versions though.

We like

Anegada - great beaches, restaurants and bars. Good beach snorkeling (at Flash of Beauty on Loblolly Bay). Relaxed and not crowded.
White Bay, Jost Van Dyke. The young adults like all the action. Not relaxed, busy....

There are so many more places. TravelTalkOnline is a good place to read and ask for recommendations.

Last edited by pbmonk; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:49 AM. Reason: Extra spaces in TTOL name, details about snorkeling.
post #3 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Anegada was my favorite spot. We rented a “car”, which was actually an old pick up truck and drove around the island. Cow Wreck Beach was my favorite beach on the island. The reefs were decent for snorkeling, but not great. It was a drift dive where the current would bring you down the beach.

It seemed a lot of the charterers would race from Island to Island and only spend part of the day at each or even just a few hours at each spot. I preferred going to fewer spots, but taking the time to explore them. If you don’t see it all it gives you a reason to go back.
flyrod likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

Not for nothing, those of us lake sailors don't generally get decent winds/sailing like the BVIs do all the time.When the wife and I went, I wanted to Sail first, and swim/explore second, so that's what we did.

Pre-planning takes some of the "fun" out of the adventure. With the exception of Anegada, the sailing is completely easy and line of sight. Anegada is due north compass heading from Virgin Gorda, so sail about 3-4 miles north of it on a clear day and you'll start to see Anegada on the horizon. See chart for pin (which is well offshore and west) to steer for entrance in, channel is quite well marked but also shallow.

Given the last time we were down we chartered "small" at 35 feet and "mono" we actually had to wait for winds to drop to 27 knots to make the longer trip up to Anegada. We did stay there 2 days to explore.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #5 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I don't know how much 'pre-planning' one can do for the BVI. I think the wind, weather, and crowds will have a lot more to do with when and where you moor than any plan you might choose. Pick up a copy of the VI cruising guide and play it by ear.
As the kindergarten of sailing destinations, it doesn't require any difficult sailing or pre-planning. Relax, that's what limin' time is all about. The charter company should supply all the info you could ever want, during the check-out.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago

I haven’t checked them all, but it seems most charter websites have suggested itineraries. Having chartered in the Virgins perhaps 10 times over the years, we’ve covered the BVI, USVI (including St Croix), and the SVI. Some of our destinations required more experience than others and I would agree with capta that the BVI generally is the “kindergarten”, so if you simply want to chill out, stay with the BVI and skip the check in process for visiting St John, which otherwise is a real treasure (unless you like beach bars.)

So,other than the standard itineraries suggested by the charterers, we especially liked visiting the Baths after taking a slip at Virgin Gordy Yacht Harbour and staying overnight. You can get water and provisions on site. You can take a taxi to the Baths and visit them in a more civilized (i.e, dry) manner. You also have a couple of good restaurants available by taxi, Like Coco Maya and Top of the Baths (at least as of 3 years ago.). Norman Island is a fun stop, with a decent restaurant and an interesting hiking trail. Anegada is also a fun stop, but is not “line-of-sight” going out. Little Harbour on Jost Van Dyke is a quieter alternative to Great Harbour (Foxy’s) and you can take a taxi to White Bay to check out the scene, including dinner (reservations) at the Sand Castle.

All that said, you’ll need to get updates from the charter base on the local scene after the horrific hurricanes a few years ago.
SanderO likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

"Kindergarten" it maybe for some, but there's plenty of great sails there.

Preplanning helps you get the lay of the place but overplanning may reduce your fun.
You might be able to get to the next anchorage in 2 hours and grab the first mooring ball.... But it may be much much better to do some longer sails, stop for lunch, do an afternoon sail. The trick with this is to be prepared to use the anchor because the moorings might already be taken. Anyway, anchoring gives you much more experience than just picking up a yellow blob and paying through the nose for it.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

We were in the BVIs right after Irma, in Feb 2018, agreed with Fallard, check locals for what is really open, but I imagine most of it is back now.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #9 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago

It's good to have something of a plan, so you have an idea of how best to maximize your time there. But, stay flexible and adjust to the conditions and your whims, if that makes sense. It makes sense to do some research now before you go, especially since the Hurricane damage.

From the Moorings, I've usually taken a counter clockwise route around. Stops can vary with each trip. Everyone will have their favorite stops. You'll have to discover yours, that's part of the fun. That said, We usually did a morning stop and then an afternoon/overnight stop.

I've found that getting to your evening stop by 2 p.m. if you can, provides the best chance to more easily find an open mooring.
We're up early! We don't burn daylight, sleeping.

We've done the Baths on the 1st morning, ( if you don't want to swim ashore take a cab from North sound) then head to North Sound and the Bitter end, But the BEYC was destroyed and is in the process of rebuilding. Not sure what the mooring situation is. Someone here may have recent knowledge or call.

You can head to Anegada from there. get a ride to the beach, Get the Lobster dinner! Then around to Cane Garden Bay, I like the beach there and Myett's, but if there's a big swell or a cruise ship is in it's less attractive. Then Across to Jost Van Dyke. ( Foxy's ) Then Sopher's Hole for water, fuel, breakfast, shopping, Then the Indians for Snorkeling, then Norman Island ( and the Caves) ( Willy-T) for the evening, which gives you a nice crossing back to home port on departure day.

Norman, Jost, North Sound, all have nice hikes/walks. From the top of Norman Island you can see St. Croix. Have Fun!
post #10 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago

My suggestion is to do some research here, read the cruising guide (below is a link) and chose a few more destinations than you have time for. Each morning, over coffee, pick from it. While wind direction is fairly constant, wind speed really isn’t. I’ve been in everything from calm to a gale there. Depending on sea state and wind, you may want to be tucked behind the island in the channel, or go outside and around.

What you should see depends on your taste. Are you beach bars or sand bars? Both works. Personally, I suggest folks hit the more popular spots on their first trip. They are popular for a reason. When you inevitably end up in a conversation back home, with someone else who has been, it’s more fun to share the experience than say you skipped them. On the other hand, you can’t get to them all in one trip.

Let us know your style and suggestions will pour in. You can type this following phrase into a google search box and you’ll get countless threads on the subject here....... site:sailnet.com bvi

Personally, I’m not a fan of Anagada, unless you plan to layover there for more than a day. It’s tricky to get in and some charter companies charge more for insurance to go, or limit your coverage. Check yours out. For that matter, there are all kinds of variables with the charter ops down there. Ask away, if you have questions.

I think the kindergarten comment is unnecessarily disparaging. I go there on vacation, I have nothing to prove. The idea that most everything is line of sight and one can fully sail to their next island destination in a few hours is relaxing, while still sailing on vacation. In a week’s time, we sail everyday, but don’t need to sail all day. Enjoy the trip.

Cruising guide....... https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Cru.../dp/0997854006

There may be a recent edition and you will have to research what’s open. We were there in Feb and most was open, other than on Tortola, which we avoid anyway. You should try to meet the guy on the cover, Foxy, before he dies. He’s a legend there. Very funny. He’ll literally tell you the same jokes he’s told for decades...... island dog.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in