Tragedy near the Bay Bridge - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 99 Old 08-17-2015

Re: Tragedy near the Bay Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Shawn,
The Spinsheet article mentioned the boat may have been swamped by a boat wake while one of the fathers was working on the outboard.

You mentioned speaking with the Coast Guard about making that area a no wake zone.

Was the Coast Guard receptive to the idea? A lot of power boaters don't seem to realize the danger from their wakes.

Jim
They didn't really have much to say on that topic, it was just a thought I had while I speaking with them/Commander CG Baltimore.

My concern is with Sandy Point so close, many small boat are out there. I even believe they rent small John Boats... most likely many of the people out are not experienced nor would they expect the confused wakes/waves that develop from weather or other boats. Like mentioned, its often swirly under or near the bridge.

I hope to be a contributor to a upcoming article in Spin Sheet, we are working on some points to put in the article.
JimMcGee and rnixon like this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 Old 08-18-2015

I agree with the no wake zone around the bridge although it would have to be set back quite far on each side to allow space and time for the wakes to dissipate. A planing hull throws its biggest wakes when throttling from planing or near-planing speed to idle speed and then when throttling back up to planing speed.

This is a problem in general with the way no wake zones are implemented on the bay. The no wake zone usually starts at the “number one” marker for a creek or channel entrance by which point you’re often dealing with very narrow, constrained areas which just serve to whip the dissipating wakes into a frenzy at high traffic times.

I vaguely remember years ago there was a proposal to vastly expand the no wake areas on the bay as a means of combating erosion but it quickly went nowhere. I’d be in favor of this kind of expansion for both safety and erosion reasons (some other examples where it would make good sense are the Patapsco above Fort Carroll, the Bodkin approach all the way NE to the edge of the Craighill Channel, the section of the Magothy north of Dobbins Island, the entire Severn above the red #4 marker off Greenbury Point, the entire West/Rhode Rivers west of the red #2, the entirety of the Miles and Wye Rivers, etc – I could go on). Even if it were only in force weekends and holidays between Memorial and Labor Days it would make a huge difference. Unfortunately it will never happen as the power boating community would fight it tooth and nail not to mention the insufficient enforcement manpower to make it stick.

Another idea for the Bay Bridge would be to encourage more use of the spans east of the main spans. It seems like 95% of the recreational boat traffic goes under the main spans when most of it really doesn’t have to.
T37Chef and willyd like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #83 of 99 Old 08-18-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I agree that waters around the bridge pilings can be very chaotic. I'd never want to be in a skiff in that area.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #84 of 99 Old 08-20-2015

You are the man!!!

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS
The Following User Says Thank You to jppp For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (08-22-2015)
post #85 of 99 Old 09-14-2015

T37Chef - "sailboat on the scene." Yours is a very inspiring story. You remind everyone to be alert, thoughtful and prepared to act at a moments notice. You kept this tragedy from becoming epic for those families.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend of Ned For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (10-01-2015)
post #86 of 99 Old 09-15-2015

At one time, many years ago, there was a no-wake zone that extended about 100 yards out from the end of the jetties of Sandy Point State Park, and the swim area was buoyed off to depths of about 6 feet. To my knowledge, this no longer exists.

Unfortunately, people tend to totally ignore no wake zones, and unfortunately, ignore the fact that their wake can be deadly to those in small boats, kayaks, jet skis, etc... I see this on a daily basis near the mouth of the Susquehanna River as 50-footers roar past other boats, tossing them around like a cork in a hurricane and not paying any attention to the dangers they impose on others with their careless ignorance. I watched in horror a few months ago as a large trawler roared within just a few feet of 3 youngsters fishing from a small jon-boat near Battery Island. That tiny boat was tossed in the air, then slammed sideways into the shallows as the youngsters held on for dear life. I called the Maryland DNR Police, but they never arrived on the scene. Ironically, the DNR boat was just a mile upriver at the time and could have responded had the dispatcher bothered to call them.

The mooring area in front of Tidewater Marine has 6-MPH buoys positioned 100 feet outside the area, but even at that distance, those boats on moorings are frequently slammed by huge wakes from passing boats. Same is true for the outside fueling dock at Tidewater. I had my rub rail completely destroyed there while fueling up one morning when a big cruiser roared down the channel just 100 yards from the dock. I was able to do some rudimentary repairs, but the cost of replacement would be about $900 for just the parts.

Good luck on getting any no wake zone additions, or enforcement,

Gary
post #87 of 99 Old 09-15-2015

There's another side to this coin. In the Oakland Estuary, I regularly see people out in craft that are patently unsuitable for the conditions. Kayaks, SUPs, jetskis, are hardly ideal in an area where there are high speed ferries, tugs, container ships, and large motor cruisers. Should they all slow down to a crawl because some people chose to set off in tiny, unsuitable boats? I've been hit by wakes large enough to worry me, in a 30ft sailboat - however, they are a fact of life in the bay.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #88 of 99 Old 09-15-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
At one time, many years ago, there was a no-wake zone that extended about 100 yards out from the end of the jetties of Sandy Point State Park, and the swim area was buoyed off to depths of about 6 feet. To my knowledge, this no longer exists.

Unfortunately, people tend to totally ignore no wake zones, and unfortunately, ignore the fact that their wake can be deadly to those in small boats, kayaks, jet skis, etc... I see this on a daily basis near the mouth of the Susquehanna River as 50-footers roar past other boats, tossing them around like a cork in a hurricane and not paying any attention to the dangers they impose on others with their careless ignorance. I watched in horror a few months ago as a large trawler roared within just a few feet of 3 youngsters fishing from a small jon-boat near Battery Island. That tiny boat was tossed in the air, then slammed sideways into the shallows as the youngsters held on for dear life. I called the Maryland DNR Police, but they never arrived on the scene. Ironically, the DNR boat was just a mile upriver at the time and could have responded had the dispatcher bothered to call them.

The mooring area in front of Tidewater Marine has 6-MPH buoys positioned 100 feet outside the area, but even at that distance, those boats on moorings are frequently slammed by huge wakes from passing boats. Same is true for the outside fueling dock at Tidewater. I had my rub rail completely destroyed there while fueling up one morning when a big cruiser roared down the channel just 100 yards from the dock. I was able to do some rudimentary repairs, but the cost of replacement would be about $900 for just the parts.

Good luck on getting any no wake zone additions, or enforcement,

Gary
Gary, your description of these boaters as having "careless ignorance" is very kind. I would classify it more as willful malice and disregard for other human beings.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #89 of 99 Old 09-18-2015

There is a short article in this month's Spin Sheet magazine, not much more than what has already been said here

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-20-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #90 of 99 Old 10-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yup, little I can add to what's already been said, beyond WOW...

Oh, and this...

Next time we get together, Shawn... I'm buyin'...

;-)
For some reason I was reading this thread tonight and came across this post...

Jon, God rest your soul, we will have that drink someday my friend. I miss you and would have loved discussing sailing together over a fine beverage... I will just have to wait.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in