SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/237049-2016-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

TSteele65 07-12-2016 11:26 AM

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3576433)
Why go through Kent Narrows? You'll have to go West anyway to get to the Choptank. Why not head West to start with and increase your chances of sailing more and further.

I'll probably be looking at winds out of the S/SE which means I'll be motoring a lot anyway.

Ulladh 07-12-2016 12:31 PM

Mid August is too far in the future for a reliable wind prediction for a particular day, maybe OK for average historic winds, so keep your options open.

From the Chester; Kent Narrows to Eastern Bay to the Choptank is shorter than around Love Point and under the Bay Bridge.

If boat draft permits Poplar Island Narrows and Napps Narrows will also reduce distance.

SVAuspicious 07-12-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteele65 (Post 3576465)
I'll probably be looking at winds out of the S/SE which means I'll be motoring a lot anyway.

I guess I just like big water, and light air doesn't bother me. Autopilot?

travlin-easy 07-12-2016 03:35 PM

I think if I had an autopilot on my boat, I would end up falling asleep at the helm. ;)

Gary :cool:

SVAuspicious 07-12-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlin-easy (Post 3576849)
I think if I had an autopilot on my boat, I would end up falling asleep at the helm.

An autopilot provides you the energy and attention to focus outside the boat on traffic and on piloting.

TSteele65 07-12-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3576753)
I guess I just like big water, and light air doesn't bother me. Autopilot?

I should probably clarify that I'm just re-positioning the boat. Time is of the essence for this trip.

travlin-easy 07-12-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3576873)
An autopilot provides you the energy and attention to focus outside the boat on traffic and on piloting.

I never seem to have a problem with those two aspects of sailing, Dave. Though I did manage to run aground a few weeks ago, a location where the charts and GPS showed 13 feet of water, but in reality, it was only 3 feet deep because nearby pound net stakes caused the area to shoal in. Got off in short order, though. The hard ebb tide quickly washed the hard sand from beneath the boat and washed me back into deep water.

Anymore, I sit in the helm seat, know pretty much exactly where I'm and watch the world go by. Now, everyone, including a few folks on this forum, that have sat in that helm seat said "I gotta get one of these." A comfortable helm seat, one that is completely padded and swivels, adds a lot of hours to the time you can comfortably sit behind the wheel. I usually do 10 to 12 hours a day behind the helm and don't have a sore butt or back to show for it.

Cheers,

SVAuspicious 07-13-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteele65 (Post 3576913)
I should probably clarify that I'm just re-positioning the boat. Time is of the essence for this trip.

I can understand that. I do suggest keeping an eye on actual wind conditions - sometimes a slightly longer path can be faster if you can sail faster than you can motor.

Donna_F 07-13-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlin-easy (Post 3577241)
...I usually do 10 to 12 hours a day behind the helm and don't have a sore butt or back to show for it.

Cheers,

Gary, this is great news! A little while ago you were using a cane to get to your boat. Wonderful that you're in good health once again. Does this mean you'll be headed south again this year? I liked seeing the updates and photos.

travlin-easy 07-13-2016 01:51 PM

Donna, I still need a cane to get to the boat, and now I'm on home and portable oxygen. However, I refuse to linger in a damned nursing home or assisted living center. Everyone has to die somewhere, and hopefully, they'll just find an old codger sitting in his helm seat with a Margaretta in his hand, dead!

Can't go south anymore, mainly because my wife's health condition is such that I cannot safely leave her for more than a day or so without having to hire someone to stay with her.

Gettin old ain't fer wimps and sissies, ;)