2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 108 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1071 of 1896 Old 07-19-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I've been thinking about getting a Ryobi 18 volt fan that sells at home depot for $39.00 ( for some reason it is much more expensive on Amazon). Usually I have a charged lithium battery for the ryobi dust buster that lives aboard or my drill; once in a while I'll bring an am/fm/ipod dock for use on a beach. I already own and use the batteries so the price of the fan is right. Reviews say it is quiet at slow speed and runs for 10 hours.
But damn I hate spending money at the despot and except for the odd night or two it has been great sleeping weather on the bay this season. The blankets have gotten use in July this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1072 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016

Just got back from a three day trip to Annapolis and back, 120 miles round trip. Tuesday night was very hot at the anchoragei in Fairlee Creekl, humid, and even with a fan blowing directly on me, it was difficult to sleep. Shortly after I dozed off, about 10 p.m., there was a flash of light, then a incredulous thunderclap right over my head - Holy ****! It didn't nail me, but I thought it did until I checked and everything appeared to be OK. Then the rains hit, along with 50 plus MPH winds, sheets of lightning, hail, all of which required closing all the ports and turning the cabin into a steam bath. Fortunately, I was able to leave the doors to the main hatch open because they are sheltered by my Bimini.

After two sold hours of storm, the wind died, the clouds vanished, I opened the hatches and ports, fired up the fans, and drifted off to sleep for all of 20 minutes, until the next storm hit, which lasted until 2 a.m.. Back to living in a steam bath, which is not good for an old man with bad lungs, so I fired up my portable oxygen generator, which just arrived a few days ago. The literature says it will run 3 hours on the internal battery - they lied. After just one hour, the machine turned off and the battery was flat dead. I ended up running it on the house batteries, which really depleted them quite a bit - the machine draws 7.5 amps, and that, along with the boat's refrigerator, anchor light, etc..., put a hit on the house batteries.

I got to Naptown the following afternoon about 2:00 p.m., anchored out in front of Port Annapolis Marina, called MarioG, one of our forum members, then fixed lunch, had a couple ice cold beers and watched the racers as they sailed up the creek - neat, little boats. Mario finally fished the job he was working on, dinghy'd over to my boat, we hoisted a couple Margarettas, then at about 8 p.m. I fired up the tin lizzie, and motor-sailed up the bay, hoping to go back into Fairlee Creek for the night. When I arrived at the #2 buoy, which is no longer a lighted day marker, but has been replaced with an unlighted nun buoy, the tide was dead low and it was impossible to traverse the channel in front of the island. The channel has really silted in heavily over the years, and at dead low tide, there were places that were under 4 feet deep, which is my draft. Consequently, I continued to motor-sail north to Still Pond, which is an easy anchorage, especially with an easterly wind, which was the case last night.

Thank goodness I have radar on the boat, because in the back end of the cove, which is where most folks anchor, there were two boats anchored up with no lights of any kind displayed. I saw them on radar, but it was not until I got within about 50 feet of them that I could make them out in the light of the moon. I dropped the hook at 2 a.m., mixed a Margaretta, turned on TV and watched an old movie. While the temperature was comfortably cool last night, the humidity was very high, and with the hatches and ports open, everything in the boat was damp when I woke up at 7 a.m..

This, and several other trips, has inspired me to investigate the cost of installing a special, folding platform on the boat's stern where I will install a 2.500-watt genset to run the AC/heat pump. I just watched a You Tube video where a guy made his Honda 2,000i extremely quiet by enclosing it in a homemade box that is insulated with sound proofing material and vented so the genset doesn't overheat. It was pretty amazing and sounds like it will work for me.

More to come,

Gary
post #1073 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016
Irrationally Exuberant

A nice sailing day in July!

And we might have snagged the last one for at least the next 5 days, from the look of the forecast: 90s and up for that period at least.

But yesterday (Wednesday the 20th) I went out day sailing with my sister and a friend and it was very pleasant, with temps in the 80s, relatively low humidity, and decent sailing with a steady breeze between 5 and 10 K out of the North. I guess that will hold me for a little bit anyway. :-)

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright

post #1074 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016

Another entry for the fan club -
With 100 degree temps forecast and a planned club raft up I followed up on my fan purchase with a cruise to the local big box hardware store. Because I have tool/vac batteries and don't want to tap my house bank I looked at a ryobi 18volt fan but found an Arctic Cove clone fan that can also be used as a mister. Aboard there is already a 3 gallon bucket with a gamma lid for storage and sometimes I bring another on the dink for trips to shore with snacks, dry towels, phones, etc. So buckets and batteries are already stock on the Brazen Article.
This fan is designed to sit flat or on top of a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. It also has a pump that runs water up to 2 mister nozzles. Trying it on the patio it ran for a couple hours on a 4 amp battery, used half a bucket of water and made the dogs happy sleeping in the cool zone.
Unlike the lime green/yellow Ryobi it is a nautical blue and grey. Comes with one battery for $79 - cheaper than the "marine" fans, easily moveable and a poor mans cockpit or beach air conditioner if you have a bucket ( already I'm thinking of adding a block of ice).
Yeah, you'll get wet from the mist but most likely you'll already be sweating.
For moving air through the cabin lift it off the bucket and leave it on the cabin sole, table or counter (misting in the cabin would be like living underwater).
These fans are in the seasonal/impulse buy area near the front of the stores.
Next up and next to the Arctic Cove at the store was a $10 fan that runs off usb power or 4 AA batteries. Its a 6 inch "computer like" fan in a folding housing, dark gray and blue in color. If they sold this in white and blue it would easily be a 50 dollar "marine"model. I've added several 12v/5vusb outlets already, this may convince me to put another outlet and fan or 2 in the v berth.
I have no connection to either of the fan suppliers and not much love for shopping the home despot. But limited experience with these low budget upgrades so far but both look promising, particularly with this weekend hot dome forecast.
Stay cool all (and keep an eye out for that vibrio!)
punahougirl84 likes this.
post #1075 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Still calling for decent winds from a favorable direction for us tomorrow. SailFlow says so at least.

We love the heat so that won't be a problem.

This will be our first overnight sail since last August. We celebrate our anniversary in July so looking forward to a weekend to ourselves more or less.
CalebD and punahougirl84 like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #1076 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016

We knew when buying the Catalina 34 that travel requirements would present us with few sailing opportunities until the fall. My son flew to JFK from Iceland yesterday, and left PHL for Seattle this evening. So I spent the day taking him down to see the new boat. We got out for a few hours of very gentle sailing. This was the first time out of the slip since moving her to Rock Hall, so it was nice to shake off the cobwebs today.

My wife flies in from Chicago tomorrow, and we had been hoping to sail this weekend, but she's not really up to sailing in 95 degree heat. We'll probably go down and do some minor work in the slip with air conditioning running full blast. I need to remove the old name and apply the new one, which just arrived today:
Attached Thumbnails
Breakin Away Decal .JPG  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1077 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Food for though: careful

A good friend of mine went up his mast in a bosun chair last Saturday . For no apparent reason he fell unconscious at the top and was dangling with his wife and a friend tailing. He then had a convulsion . Before this he never had any symptoms of this.

As they tried to lower him his legs wrapped on the lowest spreader. As the raised him to try and lower him again he fell out of the seat onto the deck 20 feet below.

He was fortunate as he only broke a leg , ankle and a few bumps and bruises. We are luck to have him still as we all know stanchions
And many other maiming things abound on the deck let alone he could have rolled and hit the water. God was watching out for him.

I stopped going up the mast years ago...mainly weight, but it made me pause because I do have a bosun chair for emergencies, but it is just a seat chair verses a full harness type chair.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1078 of 1896 Old 07-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Food for though: careful

A good friend of mine went up his mast in a bosun chair last Saturday . For no apparent reason he fell unconscious at the top and was dangling with his wife and a friend tailing. He then had a convulsion . Before this he never had any symptoms of this.

As they tried to lower him his legs wrapped on the lowest spreader. As the raised him to try and lower him again he fell out of the seat onto the deck 20 feet below.

He was fortunate as he only broke a leg , ankle and a few bumps and bruises. We are luck to have him still as we all know stanchions
And many other maiming things abound on the deck let alone he could have rolled and hit the water. God was watching out for him.

I stopped going up the mast years ago...mainly weight, but it made me pause because I do have a bosun chair for emergencies, but it is just a seat chair verses a full harness type chair.
That is a terrible reminder how it can go wrong.

I'm also on the "gravity challenged" spectrum, so when there is an "up the mast task" my better half goes up. She uses a Bosun's chair for comfort, but I always have her wear a climbing harness on a second halyard as back up.

As you noted sailboat decks are strewn with nasty things to land on so the "belt and suspenders" approach to safety is good strategy.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #1079 of 1896 Old 07-22-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
Still calling for decent winds from a favorable direction for us tomorrow. SailFlow says so at least.
I like CBOFS best. SailFlow just packages the output of GFS. CBOFS accounts for the Chesapeake Bay microclimate driven by topography and temperature variation. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/of...=wind_forecast It's still numerical meteorology but pretty good stuff.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (07-22-2016)
post #1080 of 1896 Old 07-22-2016
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
....We love the heat so that won't be a problem...
Then you are set, Donna! I hope you have a great weekend!

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in