SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/237049-2016-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

Ajax_MD 02-24-2016 07:36 AM

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Ok, I'm really, really going sailing this Sunday. For real, this time. No joke.

The boat is back together, the forecast is for temps in the mid 50's and sunny with breezes of 10 knots.
I can bring the dog or my daughter has volunteered to watch him for the day.

In the meantime, winds are forecast to gust to nearly 40kts between this afternoon and Friday morning. I'll be double-checking my docklines immediately after work today!

jsaronson 02-24-2016 07:58 AM

Ajax,

It will be awesome! Not sure if I'll get out of the river, but I'll be to your North.
Joel

travlin-easy 02-24-2016 10:30 AM

Still too cold for this old man. Keep in mind that bay water temperatures are still in the 40s, which will impact the air temperature while you're out there sailing. Dress for a blizzard and you'll be comfortable. Old guys know these things - don't ask why! ;)

Have fun, and play it safe,

Gary :cool:

Ajax_MD 02-24-2016 10:56 AM

Yeah, I know the water will leach the heat right out of the air and the wind will make it seem even colder.
I'll be dressing warm.

T37Chef 02-24-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax_MD (Post 3356393)
Ok, I'm really, really going sailing this Sunday. For real, this time. No joke.

The boat is back together, the forecast is for temps in the mid 50's and sunny with breezes of 10 knots.
I can bring the dog or my daughter has volunteered to watch him for the day.

In the meantime, winds are forecast to gust to nearly 40kts between this afternoon and Friday morning. I'll be double-checking my docklines immediately after work today!

Now you have put the idea of getting out in my head... thank you!

T37Chef 02-27-2016 07:30 AM

Creek is frozen over slightly this morning and tomorrow its suppossed to be 60... Mother Nature is such a tease :)

I see a few hours of sailing in ny near future

Soon folks... soon...

Jim_W 02-27-2016 08:13 AM

I am putting all my sails and canvas on tomorrow and if all goes well a shakedown sail in the afternoon. no ice in Cambridge water is right around 40 degrees. I may even go here for lunch. Cambridge Main Street - News

oysterman23 02-27-2016 07:56 PM

when they spoke of a Sunday in the low sixties on the South Shore I started gettin antsy but that water is now cold here and today was bloody chill down off the water. I thinks its a stove on and tinker in the cockpit day for me on Great South Bay....have fun you guys...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

travlin-easy 02-27-2016 08:58 PM

Just checked the Wunderground weather for my area for the coming week - SUCKS! 1 - 3 inches of snow on Thursday and about an inch on Friday - SUCKS!

Gary :cool:

Ajax_MD 02-29-2016 10:48 AM

I'm showing <1 inch on Friday. After these few days of warmer temps I agree that this is a horrible tease.

We did make it out to sail yesterday. My engine is giving me grief but the boat sailed sweetly. 7.6 kts on a reefed main and #2 jib.
We sailed straight to Thursday's for hot crab soup and wings, then back out again for more fun.
The wind cut out shortly after turning into my river for a comparatively warm end to the day.