2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 129 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1281 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I am reluctantly holding onto my radar for the moment. I want to reconnect the head unit and see if it'll power up and what it does.
If it works, I'll hold onto it because Maine is a planned destination for me and they have real fog.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1282 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

It's funny. I watch zero TV at home. Too much stuff going on (School Board activities and related email, etc.) The only time I watch TV is when I'm on the boat and able to detach from the other stuff. I also read more on the boat and watch wildlife, which I don't get to do at home. I can see how those who watch TV at home want to get away from that on the boat, but for me it is the opposite.

By "watch TV" I also mean playing DVDs. I made sure to buy an integrated TV/DVD player for this. We could do this on a computer or iPad, but we really wanted to be able to sit in the cabin a comfortable distance away from the screen.

I found a decent RCA 24" TV/DVD combo at Sears for $95. Good viewing angle, but just OK contrast ratio. But both contrast and viewing angle are a lot better than the Axxess 12v units that truckers and RVs often buy.

It seems to have gotten a lot harder to find decent 12v TVs. The RCA one I bought is 120vAC, but rated at 25w (and confirmed on my Kill-a-Watt meter), and draws even less with screen dimmed and without DVD running. I suspect that somewhere inside the set there's a converter that changes 120vAC to lower voltage DC (maybe 12v?), and I'd love to go inside and tap into that line for direct DC connection. But that's waaaay down on a very long to-do list. For now, 25w is low enough that I can use a little plug-in inverter instead of my house inverter.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1283 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

As a rule of thumb, the sorts of things that require a big inverter are microwaves, electric drip coffee makers, and hair dryers.

In my opinion, if you are going to get a "big" inverter I would not get smaller than 2 kW. 1000 W won't do many microwaves or hair dryers (or heat guns for that matter).

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #1284 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Nice ride coming up the Bay from Oxford with winds out of the SW @ 15 to 23 knots. Now anchored in Marshy Creek south of Kent Narrows as we where advised by Tow Boat US not to try navigating the north channel with the current conditions of winds and low tide
post #1285 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Sailed down to Betterton today, winds ranged 15 to 20 most of the day from the SW, and the temperature rose to 84, which is close to the point when I need to seek a cooler climate. When it hit 88 to 90, I have to utilize supplemental oxygen, which I normally carry with me, but today, in my haste to get to the boat, I forgot to bring it along. Guess my mind is shot to Hell, too!

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
chef2sail and punahougirl84 like this.
post #1286 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Nice ride coming up the Bay from Oxford with winds out of the SW @ 15 to 23 knots. Now anchored in Marshy Creek south of Kent Narrows as we where advised by Tow Boat US not to try navigating the north channel with the current conditions of winds and low tide
What is your draft? I have 4'3" and was wondering whether to go through there (for the first time) this weekend. WaterwayGuide warning looks really bad!

What was the concern over low tide? NOAA's sensors don't look any worse than normal. Or has shoaling gotten so bad that normal is too shallow?

I guess I'll have to look into going around the long way.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1287 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

We draw a bit over 5 ft. Came through a couple of days ago with no issue but that was at high tide. With the winds and and today's designated low tide we called Kent Island Tow Boat US to get the latest conditions and they advised not to try it with our draft.

FYI .. A couple of the channel marks on the Narrows north side have been rearranged to port when traveling southbound to accommodate the shoaling on the starboard side.
post #1288 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It's funny. I watch zero TV at home. Too much stuff going on (School Board activities and related email, etc.) The only time I watch TV is when I'm on the boat and able to detach from the other stuff. I also read more on the boat and watch wildlife, which I don't get to do at home. I can see how those who watch TV at home want to get away from that on the boat, but for me it is the opposite.

By "watch TV" I also mean playing DVDs. I made sure to buy an integrated TV/DVD player for this. We could do this on a computer or iPad, but we really wanted to be able to sit in the cabin a comfortable distance away from the screen.

I found a decent RCA 24" TV/DVD combo at Sears for $95. Good viewing angle, but just OK contrast ratio. But both contrast and viewing angle are a lot better than the Axxess 12v units that truckers and RVs often buy.

It seems to have gotten a lot harder to find decent 12v TVs. The RCA one I bought is 120vAC, but rated at 25w (and confirmed on my Kill-a-Watt meter), and draws even less with screen dimmed and without DVD running. I suspect that somewhere inside the set there's a converter that changes 120vAC to lower voltage DC (maybe 12v?), and I'd love to go inside and tap into that line for direct DC connection. But that's waaaay down on a very long to-do list. For now, 25w is low enough that I can use a little plug-in inverter instead of my house inverter.
We watch a lot of discovery and smithsonian tv as well as visual music along with our DVD. Not all television is bad or mindless. Does make you better because you never watch TV . It's about what you choose to watch. Like I said we watched the Olympics while we traveled with Lenny of company on the boat.

Instead of sacrificing the quality and buying a 12 volt tv we decided to get a small 24 inch Samsung HD flatscreenTV , why go back to the dark ages. It is on a arm when not deployed is 3 inches off the wall. Donna made a nice Naugahyde cover so you don't even know it's there till deployed. We have a small Sony Blue Ray player , again why sacrifice. Whole setup was $300 and is good quality. Eventually we added a Glomax powered antennae on top of the radar on the radar pole. This whole setup uses very little power.

DVD It's connect by HDMI cable. We can also stream netfix through the I pad. Our boat is used for mostly cruising. I or a long time was a very traditionalist but decided a while ago to make it as comfortable as possible. For my wife too as I want her to enjoy going and staying on the boat. This was the primary reason for the cheap inverter. Trying to find a w us a 12 volt TV or blue ray 12 volt was not worth it.sacrificed quality.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1289 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Quote:
What is your draft? I have 4'3" and was wondering whether to go through there (for the first time) this weekend. WaterwayGuide warning looks really bad!

What was the concern over low tide? NOAA's sensors don't look any worse than normal. Or has shoaling gotten so bad that normal is too shallow?

Until last year we used to go through the Narrows regularly. We saw increasing shoaling on the north side and bumped at mid tide the last two times . We draw 4.5 . Not worth it bouncing of the bottom there.

Plus I never really like sitting in the narrow area with good current and the power boaters chomping at the bit behind you. Even though it's a 6 knot area.

We have also had our ass kicked a number of times in Crab Alley as there us no speed limit and lots of the big boys come roaring through there.

Our new home port I is easier to go around Bloody Point anyway so that's made our mind up.

Saturday We are headed over to Wye / Leeds Creek/ St Micheals area it looks like this weekend. Not sure where we will anchor , but don't like the crowds in St Micheals anchorage so if we go there we will stop in one of the Creeks and dinghy over.

Tomorrow I am getting off early at noon so we will anchor out tomorrow night too. Looks like Aberdeen Creek ( one of our favorites) or the Rhode River. Appears the only real wind this weekend will be Saturday AM and it will be N to NE at maybe 10. So we should have a nice sail across the Bay and up Eastern Bay before it dies off. Least the humidity an excessive heat will drop off tomorrow evening.

Donna will get her wish with multiple dinghy rides this weekend😄😄😄😀😀
punahougirl84 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1290 of 1896 Old 08-25-2016

Quote:

Rick,

Looks like we're headed in the same direction. Hail us if you want when your over there.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in