2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 135 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1341 of 1896 Old 09-06-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
Haven't been into Swan Creek yet...it looks shallow. What do you draw? Where do you anchor there?
My draft is only 4' with the board up which I like for the Chesapeake. The channel into the creek ranges from 12' to 8'. There are several marinas on Swan Creek which is good as the channel is well marked. Anchoring in the creek can be interesting on a busy summer weekend due its popularity. There is 8' or more in most of the anchorage area but as you head up the creek you start to see 6' then less and less. Not water past the community dock on the west side of the creek heading north.

I always cross the bar except if there is a strong north wind and chop. I wouldn't suggest crossing it with a 6' draft or more... but the lowest depth I typically see is 7.8'

Pendragon35 likes this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1342 of 1896 Old 09-07-2016

Headed to St Mikes this weekend. The replica of the America will be at CBMM.
They are having a big fundraiser in the evening, but we will be at Ava's.

Anyone else going?

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
post #1343 of 1896 Old 09-07-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
My draft is only 4' with the board up which I like for the Chesapeake. The channel into the creek ranges from 12' to 8'. There are several marinas on Swan Creek which is good as the channel is well marked. Anchoring in the creek can be interesting on a busy summer weekend due its popularity. There is 8' or more in most of the anchorage area but as you head up the creek you start to see 6' then less and less. Not water past the community dock on the west side of the creek heading north.

I always cross the bar except if there is a strong north wind and chop. I wouldn't suggest crossing it with a 6' draft or more... but the lowest depth I typically see is 7.8'

Thanks! This is very helpful. I haven't been in there, I draw 5.5 feet. Looking at the chart, it shows a lot of thin water at low tide. Not sure where the "community dock" is but perhaps I can get over there this week. I don't sail much on weekends, which works out in a way; a little easier during the week.

post #1344 of 1896 Old 09-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

Thanks! This is very helpful. I haven't been in there, I draw 5.5 feet. Looking at the chart, it shows a lot of thin water at low tide. Not sure where the "community dock" is but perhaps I can get over there this week. I don't sail much on weekends, which works out in a way; a little easier during the week.
Yes.. There is a "Community Dock" about 3/4 of a mile on the port side heading north into Swan Creek..but I'm under the impression its private, associated with the homes located there. Probably by invitation only.
With that I've talked to Haven Harbour Marina and they have put forth a suggestion of a 'Public' dock,to the town of Rock Hall, behind their Waterman's Museum. This would be the most logical approach as the location suggested has the most water and closest to the main road leading into town as well the best location for the town provided 'Trolly' to pickup and drop off passengers along their loop.
post #1345 of 1896 Old 09-08-2016

Yes...community or private for residents in the area.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1346 of 1896 Old 09-08-2016

We just got back from a fantastic evening meeting up with a family we only knew from the Internet.

S/V Milou is a Beneteau First 38 - the family of 4 bought theirs a while back and had been prepping to take a long family cruise (they hail from Madison, WI). We found them through their blog before they started as we were deciding on our Beneteau First 38. We communicated and planned to get together when they made it to the Chesapeake.

We drove down to Annapolis early this evening, got together for dinner, then headed out to where they were anchored and spent a lot of time on their boat. The kids were hanging out having fun and the parents were talking boat talk, cruising talk, experiences with everything boating, and then some. They are great people and we got along well. What a treat to finally meet them in person - they are just as nice, smart, and fun as their blog demonstrated. I hope we cross paths again in the future.

Yay for the Internet!
johnny buddha likes this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1347 of 1896 Old 09-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Got outfor a final or first sail of the season. So cool having the Bay to myself!
Jealous*
post #1348 of 1896 Old 09-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Got outfor a final or first sail of the season. So cool having the Bay to myself!
I'm jealous, I wish I can have the Bay for myself too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cute_Litte_Sicangco For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (09-09-2016)
post #1349 of 1896 Old 09-09-2016

If you want the bay to yourself, just go out on a windy weekday. The only traffic out there will be commercial, and not really a lot of that.

Gary
post #1350 of 1896 Old 09-09-2016

Headed out early tomorrow morning. The forecast looks great to go north tomorrow and south Sunday. My two daughters and I are meeting up with another boat, their daughter is 11, same as my oldest. Headed for fresher water so we can swim in the heat. Kids asked to make Paella... should be a little different then last weekends... but who could ever get tired of Paella anyway

Well lets hope the forecast is close to what they're saying unlike last weekend arg...

Fairwinds
johnny buddha likes this.

Shawn

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in