Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Here are some photos:

the anchorage on the Wye:

the Oxford ferry:

bungee at the helm:

looking forward, same time:

Good pictures. Lots of birds at Bloody Point Light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1362 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Stayed on the boat last night - got a bunch of work done and our youngest discovered that yes indeed, he can sleep on a boat!

Headed out shortly - trying for Rock Hall again. Wind looks good! Only things I forgot were the fruit and the juice - betting we can get those over there.

Time to get moving!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1363 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Headed out shortly - trying for Rock Hall again. Wind looks good! Only things I forgot were the fruit and the juice - betting we can get those over there.
Try docking at the free bulkhead in Rock Hall Harbour..should be protected enough except if winds are from the south or south west. Close enough to walk into town for groceries..also half way between two popular restaurants.
punahougirl84 likes this.

post #1364 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Willy-
Great photos and glad to see you got out there.

After a delay caused by TS Hermine and the total failure of my bilge pump discharge hose setup, I finally got underway last Monday. Bounced back and forth between a friend's house up in the Pax River, beyond Point Patience, then to Smith Island and then back to Solomon's to Spring Cove marina to use their pool to escape the 93F degree heat. Due to the heat, we skipped Oxford and returned home a day early.

It took a little over 5 hours to go from Pt. Patience to the dock at Smith Island. Top speed 9.3 kts, average of 6 kts. That was using the working jib and a single reef in the main. The wind and tide were moving with such force that we were nearly swept past the marina and almost made contact with the S.I.V.F.D. fire boat. I managed to get us pinned against some pilings and some tug workers took a line around a piling so that we could pivot around and into our slip.

Smith Island is an incredible place. Tourism and pleasure craft marina services are second fiddle to the work that these people do for survival. When you visit, it's best to think of it as being guests at a residence than customers patronizing a business. You get far better results treating them with courtesy and respect vs. flashing your cash and demanding service.

The island is wild and beautiful. Everything is exposed to the wind and water. It's a tough life there, but I completely understand why islanders stick with it. I had the best damned crab cake I've ever had, in a little diner that the locals frequent for lunch.

Ruke's restaurant and market looks as if it's been long abandoned but it's barely been a year since they shut down. I wish I'd gotten here sooner.

The boat served us flawlessly. The newly stitched dodger gave us some shade, the CruiseAir gave us peace from insects at night and cooled the boat from the low 90's temps. The M30 diesel never skipped a beat and gave excellent economy. I installed a Whale shower sump box and tied it into the bilge discharge. The shower and ice box drain to the sump and it automatically pumps overboard. Nothing goes into the bilge anymore.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1365 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

How was the inlet coming into Smith Island? The last time I was there, which was several years ago, it had silted in pretty badly, and was only accessible with a 5 foot draft at high tide. There was talk of dredging back then, but I don't know if they ever got around to it, or Mother Nature did the work during a storm.

Glad you had a good trip,

Gary
post #1366 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Willy-
Great photos and glad to see you got out there.

After a delay caused by TS Hermine and the total failure of my bilge pump discharge hose setup, I finally got underway last Monday. Bounced back and forth between a friend's house up in the Pax River, beyond Point Patience, then to Smith Island and then back to Solomon's to Spring Cove marina to use their pool to escape the 93F degree heat. Due to the heat, we skipped Oxford and returned home a day early.

It took a little over 5 hours to go from Pt. Patience to the dock at Smith Island. Top speed 9.3 kts, average of 6 kts. That was using the working jib and a single reef in the main. The wind and tide were moving with such force that we were nearly swept past the marina and almost made contact with the S.I.V.F.D. fire boat. I managed to get us pinned against some pilings and some tug workers took a line around a piling so that we could pivot around and into our slip.

Smith Island is an incredible place. Tourism and pleasure craft marina services are second fiddle to the work that these people do for survival. When you visit, it's best to think of it as being guests at a residence than customers patronizing a business. You get far better results treating them with courtesy and respect vs. flashing your cash and demanding service.

The island is wild and beautiful. Everything is exposed to the wind and water. It's a tough life there, but I completely understand why islanders stick with it. I had the best damned crab cake I've ever had, in a little diner that the locals frequent for lunch.

Ruke's restaurant and market looks as if it's been long abandoned but it's barely been a year since they shut down. I wish I'd gotten here sooner.

The boat served us flawlessly. The newly stitched dodger gave us some shade, the CruiseAir gave us peace from insects at night and cooled the boat from the low 90's temps. The M30 diesel never skipped a beat and gave excellent economy. I installed a Whale shower sump box and tied it into the bilge discharge. The shower and ice box drain to the sump and it automatically pumps overboard. Nothing goes into the bilge anymore.

Sounds like an outstanding trip. Great picture of the sign😄😄

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1367 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Gary,

After Sandy, a breakwater was built to shelter the channel. It's low but it does seem to work.
The channel has been dredged and the daymarks appear to be new-ish. The channel still shifted a bit because there is a temporary green buoy about 1/3 of the way into the channel. I also saw something that I've only seen once before- at a couple of places there are pairs of PVC pipe poking out of the water with either red or green reflective tape on the tips. I think these are just guides to keep you in the channel.

My slip was pretty shallow, but soft and silty. We departed about 2 hours after high tide and had to plow our way out of the slip but only for a few feet. Then we were in 15 feet of water until we reached the channel.

The bottom line is that I draw 4' 6" and with the channel itself there was very little drama. I had 6 or 7 feet the entire way so you should have no trouble at all. My drama occurred when I didn't know exactly where Capt. Eades' marina was until the last moment and was swept past it. I believe this was an abnormal condition created by surge and wind from TS Hermine. The locals all said that they'd be glad when the storm died down and tides returned to normal.

Oh- we did take home a half Smith Island cake. We gave some away to friends and ate the rest already.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1368 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

One of the best sailing weekends this year I would say... that is all

Shawn

post #1369 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Beautiful sunset to end a great weekend of sailing...

Shawn

post #1370 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Well, we ended up going with Plan C today. Plan A was Worton Creek. We left at 1030 and spent over 2 hours trying to make headway, but we were getting pounded by 15-20 kt NW wind and 3+ ft chop across the huge fetch, making only about 2 kts with motor, so we turned around and made 6.5 kts on partial genoa alone, planning to head to Grays Inn Creek (Plan B). We made it back to Swan Point Bar in about 30 minutes. But it was getting late to start in the opposite direction, especially knowing we'd have to beat to the north again once into Chester River (albeit against a shorter fetch). By this time (about 1400), breezes and sea state had moderated significantly. I looked toward the west and realized we'd have a nice, easy broad reach, and we were ready for it at that point. So we headed for Magothy River, which was our Plan C only because we've been there so many times before.

There were no sea nettles around and a few people swimming, so I jumped in with a push broom and swim fins and gave the bottom a good scrubbing. The water was really refreshing. Our boat's swim platform with fold down ladder and hot/cold cockpit shower really make this a great boat for jumping in.

We got lots of great pics of the breathtaking sunset, but it has become a real pain to reduce their size manually, so if anyone wants to see them you'll have to friend me on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1496259315
punahougirl84 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in