2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 138 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1371 of 1896 Old 09-11-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Perfect sailing today. Tacked down the Miles from Hunting Creek, broad reached down Eastern Bay at over 8 knots. We reefed the Main and 150 as we got near the Bay and near hauled up to Whitehall Bay. Never saw the 3+ waves Takefive saw, but the wave interval was close ( Tolly Point was showing 2.5 ft and 3.5 seconds. We kept a good angle and tacked few times to avoid any pounding.

Maybe time to change out the 150 for the 135 as the cooler air is heavier and we won't need the big boy with the fresh fall breezes.

Looks like the heat streak will break with cooler temps this next week. Can't wait for our va action down the Bay in two weeks.

I ave to agree with T37chef this was one of the nicer sailing weekends in the last two months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1372 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Yeah, I expect that I won't get a whole lot of use out of my new 140% genoa when the fall breezes fill in. No need to overload it or sail around partially furled when I have a perfectly good working jib.

I knew this going in though. The genny is my June-September sail.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1373 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

I drove to the boat today, the wind was blowing about 10 to 12 from the NW, perfect conditions, other than the fact that that NW wind blew ever drop of water out of the lower Susquehanna River and the boat was sitting on the bottom. I drove back home, ate lunch, and here I am on the internet forums.

Gary
oldlaxer1 and punahougirl84 like this.

post #1374 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well, we ended up going with Plan C today. Plan A was Worton Creek. We left at 1030 and spent over 2 hours trying to make headway, but we were getting pounded by 15-20 kt NW wind and 3+ ft chop across the huge fetch, making only about 2 kts with motor, so we turned around and made 6.5 kts on partial genoa alone, planning to head to Grays Inn Creek (Plan B). We made it back to Swan Point Bar in about 30 minutes. But it was getting late to start in the opposite direction, especially knowing we'd have to beat to the north again once into Chester River (albeit against a shorter fetch). By this time (about 1400), breezes and sea state had moderated significantly. I looked toward the west and realized we'd have a nice, easy broad reach, and we were ready for it at that point. So we headed for Magothy River, which was our Plan C only because we've been there so many times before.

There were no sea nettles around and a few people swimming, so I jumped in with a push broom and swim fins and gave the bottom a good scrubbing. The water was really refreshing. Our boat's swim platform with fold down ladder and hot/cold cockpit shower really make this a great boat for jumping in.

We got lots of great pics of the breathtaking sunset, but it has become a real pain to reduce their size manually, so if anyone wants to see them you'll have to friend me on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1496259315
We were bringing a Columbia 40 up from Deltaville and had just about every wind condition, sea condition and point of sail over the 3 day trip. Sunday morning we left the Rhode River and had a nice close reach around Thomas point light and then had 2 tacks to get thru the bridge. Winds pretty steady around 14kts with a few gusts. Once thru the bridge, it kicked up to 22-24 with a few gusts to 30. We saw 4 and a few 5 footers in the pretty short interval waves. Reduced sail to a partially furled 135 and no main and kept the motor on and were able to make about 5 kts across the ground up across the mouth of the Chester before tacking toward Gibson Island Causeway. . After about 90 minutes of that pounding the wind settled back down somewhat to about 15 and we were able to get more sail up. Around 3-3:30 it went flat. On comes the iron genny and we head north. About 5:00 wind picks up again and we were able to sail with a few tacks up Middle River and into Frog Mortar Creek. Unfortunately, the water had been blown out of the creek and we got 4 feet from the dock (parallel to the T head) and were on bottom. So close but so far away. We were able to fashion a gangplank and unload. Tied her up and headed home. A great day to be sailing. I remember seeing a Catalina 34 crossing the bay headed toward the Magothy. Wish I had known it was you.
chef2sail and Ajax_MD like this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #1375 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

We had a WONDERFUL weekend!

Sunday, after getting the boat organized and some diesel at the MYC fuel dock, we headed out toward Rock Hall. At first we had so much wind that we put in two proactive reefs. Which we shook out the minute we turned toward Rock Hall and started reaching. Which we did all the way there - gorgeous sailing! I took the helm to navigate around the Swan Point Bar (we didn't go ALL the way around), followed all the helpful advice we got and pulled in to the B/C t-head at Rock Hall Landing Marina a little after 5pm, waved in by a couple very helpful guys.

[IMG]RockHall9/11/16arrival by daleebd, on Flickr[/IMG]

We hit the pool, showered, then sat on the boat to watch the gorgeous sunset.

[IMG]RockHall9/11/16sunset by daleebd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dinner was quesadillas with seasoned ground turkey and tomatoes, salad, and chocolate chip cookies. Followed by games and a good night's sleep - the air was cool, the breeze super comfortable.

Monday (which the kids had off, making this Labor Day Mark II) we got up, and I set up protein pancakes, bagels, chocolate milk and coffee. We walked up to town for a bit, wandered, hit the grocery store for a couple things (grapes, local colby with dill cheese, etc), then Durdings for ice cream. Yum! Coming out we saw the tram which was on it's way to pick up someone who was headed exactly where we were so the kids got their tram ride.

Back at the marina, who should find us but Rick/Take Five! They had just returned so we got to meet him and his wife - they came by the boat to talk and share their weekend story. Very cool to meet up with a SailNet friend!

Our sail back, despite the beautiful weather, was marred by light air and flies. We had plenty of strong bug spray, but only one fly swatter. A good thing we wear sailing gloves. We all got our share of kills. My youngest was freaked out, but there weren't swarms so he didn't have an absolute fit. Instead, he took over the fly swatter and made it his goal to kill them all. Which meant he spent more time with us in the cockpit - we got in some snuggle time too which was really nice.

We had to motor-sail about half or more of the time on the return, which was an issue since we still need to get the fuel injector pump fixed (there's a drip) and the guy who is supposed to do that is also going to do the heat exchanger. When we got back to the dock we found water in the engine sump up to the level of the intake valve (which we'd pumped before we left MYC) and definitely a diesel smell (we had a diaper in place to catch the drips). So I'll be calling the guy (I thought he was going to call me but maybe I was confused). The real concern was that when we got to the dock and got tied up, we saw a oil sheen on the water behind our transom. We think it might be from the water used to cool the engine. It dissipated and no more was released into the water thank goodness but I'm calling the engine guy tomorrow to get this dealt with. This hadn't happened before and I don't want it to happen again.

Our youngest, as we were motoring down Rock Creek, suddenly asked to steer us into the harbor. Really? I asked everyone if they wanted to steer all day, and NOW he wants to dock? LOL! So I let him take over, we slowed down, and he did a really good job steering, taking a left, and then entering our fairway at which point he gave me the wheel (he's 10 and has steered before - I was just thrilled he suddenly showed interest and of course I was right with him). Our older kids can do most of the work but they all seem nervous to use a wheel. I explained they just need to do it more often to get used to the sensation. I did have our daughter on the wheel when I had to clear a stuck reefing line and she did just fine.

Overall, we are just grateful to have had the time together and I'm hoping for many more great family cruises!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1376 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

Thrilled to hear you all got out and enjoyed some of the Chesapeakes beauty and good quality time with your family. Cheers!

Shawn

post #1377 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Thrilled to hear you all got out and enjoyed some of the Chesapeakes beauty and good quality time with your family. Cheers!
Thanks! Ditto! Loved to read about your outing and see the adorable photos of your beautiful girls!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1378 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
We had a WONDERFUL weekend!

Sunday, after getting the boat organized and some diesel at the MYC fuel dock, we headed out toward Rock Hall. At first we had so much wind that we put in two proactive reefs. Which we shook out the minute we turned toward Rock Hall and started reaching. Which we did all the way there - gorgeous sailing! I took the helm to navigate around the Swan Point Bar (we didn't go ALL the way around), followed all the helpful advice we got and pulled in to the B/C t-head at Rock Hall Landing Marina a little after 5pm, waved in by a couple very helpful guys.

[IMG]RockHall9/11/16arrival by daleebd, on Flickr[/IMG]

We hit the pool, showered, then sat on the boat to watch the gorgeous sunset.

[IMG]RockHall9/11/16sunset by daleebd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dinner was quesadillas with seasoned ground turkey and tomatoes, salad, and chocolate chip cookies. Followed by games and a good night's sleep - the air was cool, the breeze super comfortable.

Monday (which the kids had off, making this Labor Day Mark II) we got up, and I set up protein pancakes, bagels, chocolate milk and coffee. We walked up to town for a bit, wandered, hit the grocery store for a couple things (grapes, local colby with dill cheese, etc), then Durdings for ice cream. Yum! Coming out we saw the tram which was on it's way to pick up someone who was headed exactly where we were so the kids got their tram ride.

Back at the marina, who should find us but Rick/Take Five! They had just returned so we got to meet him and his wife - they came by the boat to talk and share their weekend story. Very cool to meet up with a SailNet friend!

Our sail back, despite the beautiful weather, was marred by light air and flies. We had plenty of strong bug spray, but only one fly swatter. A good thing we wear sailing gloves. We all got our share of kills. My youngest was freaked out, but there weren't swarms so he didn't have an absolute fit. Instead, he took over the fly swatter and made it his goal to kill them all. Which meant he spent more time with us in the cockpit - we got in some snuggle time too which was really nice.

We had to motor-sail about half or more of the time on the return, which was an issue since we still need to get the fuel injector pump fixed (there's a drip) and the guy who is supposed to do that is also going to do the heat exchanger. When we got back to the dock we found water in the engine sump up to the level of the intake valve (which we'd pumped before we left MYC) and definitely a diesel smell (we had a diaper in place to catch the drips). So I'll be calling the guy (I thought he was going to call me but maybe I was confused). The real concern was that when we got to the dock and got tied up, we saw a oil sheen on the water behind our transom. We think it might be from the water used to cool the engine. It dissipated and no more was released into the water thank goodness but I'm calling the engine guy tomorrow to get this dealt with. This hadn't happened before and I don't want it to happen again.

Our youngest, as we were motoring down Rock Creek, suddenly asked to steer us into the harbor. Really? I asked everyone if they wanted to steer all day, and NOW he wants to dock? LOL! So I let him take over, we slowed down, and he did a really good job steering, taking a left, and then entering our fairway at which point he gave me the wheel (he's 10 and has steered before - I was just thrilled he suddenly showed interest and of course I was right with him). Our older kids can do most of the work but they all seem nervous to use a wheel. I explained they just need to do it more often to get used to the sensation. I did have our daughter on the wheel when I had to clear a stuck reefing line and she did just fine.

Overall, we are just grateful to have had the time together and I'm hoping for many more great family cruises!
Sounds like a great trip for you and the kids especially. You did some stuff which made them happy and they will just love it more in the future.

Your youngest will learn to deal in his own way and time it seems and if the rest of you are having fun, it will bring him along.

Oil sheen behind the boat is not good. Should have no mixing of oil and exhaust. Perhaps your slow drip allowed diesel into the bilge and it got pumped overboard. Not sure if the engine bilge leads to the larger bilge like ours does. That drip needs to get fixed so your boat doesn't smell like diesel.mwhich can permeate the cushions and everything. When the boats closed up and will be hard to get out.

Is it the fuel pump which is leaking or one of the injectors.? That wasn't clear from your post. Can you tell where the leak is coming from. Replacing a fuel pump is pretty simple usually unless it's buried in the tank. I've done ours and had it rebuilt as a spare just in case it went awry on a trip. Our pump sits by itself.

The injectors are a different issue. Not sure what engine you have , but it might be a good idea to learn how to bleed them. Another simple thing to learn. When the mechanic rebuilds them ask him/ her to show you how. On many engines a bleed is required when you replace the fuel filter that is required to start the engine. I have had to place the fuel filter at different times. We are luck as our Racor is in an easy to get to spot and we can drop in the filter, use a small measuring cup to fill the Racor to the top with diesel, and then screw the top on so we usually don't have to bleed the injectors. We carry a 5 gallon Jerry can of diesel in our lazzerette.

Fuel filters clog at I opportune times like in rougher weather when the sediment in your tank gets stirred up.
I change the oil and filter every fall before winterization and then again halfway through the season. This is an important thing to learn if you don't know how to do already, as there is not always a mechanic to call in the middle of the Bay if you engine sputters to a stop due to a clogged filter.

Great to hear you guys all had a good time.😄😄👍👍😄😄

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1379 of 1896 Old 09-12-2016

BTW...Haleakula always carries 6 metal handled fly swatters😄😄😄

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1380 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

I thought I would join the "new to us boat" thread since we up-sized also. We figured out pretty quickly this summer that our 30 was not going to be big enough for us and our 2 girls, ages 3 and 10 months. At one point, all 4 of us were sleeping in the salon berth! After looking at a few Catalina 36's, we found a Catalina 42 that we fell in love with. We completed the purchase a few weeks ago, and brought the boat up from Annapolis to the Bohemia River. We were supposed to take our first extended trip over labor day, but postponed it to this past weekend due to the hurricane. So we left for Rock Hall early Thursday morning. After baking in the sun for 4 hours, we arrived at our slip at Rock Hall Landing. We also swam, went to the grocery, and had ice cream at Durdings. I also tried Fishers caramel popcorn dusted with Old Bay. Not bad actually! We left Friday morning bound for baltimore. Once again, we had a nice baking as we crossed the bay. I chickened out and did not cross the bar. Maybe next time I decided to stay at Anchorage, even though it's been getting bad reviews on AC. The marina itself is in poor shape, but the dock master and his assistant were very nice and helpful. We had hoped to enjoy 2 days with the kids in the Inner Harbor, but the heat was unbearable. We did our best, and didn't strangle each other, or the kids. I saw the weather forecast for Sunday, so we left at 6:30am hoping to beat the winds. I spent 3 days wishing for wind, and we got plenty of it leaving Baltimore. Things were calmish until we made the turn out of the river into the bay and headed Northeast. We were seeing 15 knot winds pretty consistently, with a few gusts hitting 30. I decided not to put the sails up. I thought it would be a lot for us with the girls on board and a new boat. I think we were the only sailboat headed north, while we saw a few headed south. Otherwise, the upper bay was fairly empty. The boat performed well, with only some minor issues. We are looking forward to a couple more trips before the season ends!
Attached Thumbnails
20160908_175935 (1).jpg   Resized_20160819_103249.jpg   20160909_165256.jpg  

1992 Catalina 42 "Ankyra"
1988 Catalina 30 TRFK "Bare Feet"
1974 Catalina 22 swing keel "O'really!"

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in