2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 139 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sounds like a great trip for you and the kids especially. You did some stuff which made them happy and they will just love it more in the future.

Your youngest will learn to deal in his own way and time it seems and if the rest of you are having fun, it will bring him along.

Oil sheen behind the boat is not good. Should have no mixing of oil and exhaust. Perhaps your slow drip allowed diesel into the bilge and it got pumped overboard. Not sure if the engine bilge leads to the larger bilge like ours does. That drip needs to get fixed so your boat doesn't smell like diesel.mwhich can permeate the cushions and everything. When the boats closed up and will be hard to get out.

Is it the fuel pump which is leaking or one of the injectors.? That wasn't clear from your post. Can you tell where the leak is coming from. Replacing a fuel pump is pretty simple usually unless it's buried in the tank. I've done ours and had it rebuilt as a spare just in case it went awry on a trip. Our pump sits by itself.

The injectors are a different issue. Not sure what engine you have , but it might be a good idea to learn how to bleed them. Another simple thing to learn. When the mechanic rebuilds them ask him/ her to show you how. On many engines a bleed is required when you replace the fuel filter that is required to start the engine. I have had to place the fuel filter at different times. We are luck as our Racor is in an easy to get to spot and we can drop in the filter, use a small measuring cup to fill the Racor to the top with diesel, and then screw the top on so we usually don't have to bleed the injectors. We carry a 5 gallon Jerry can of diesel in our lazzerette.

Fuel filters clog at I opportune times like in rougher weather when the sediment in your tank gets stirred up.
I change the oil and filter every fall before winterization and then again halfway through the season. This is an important thing to learn if you don't know how to do already, as there is not always a mechanic to call in the middle of the Bay if you engine sputters to a stop due to a clogged filter.

Great to hear you guys all had a good time.😄😄👍👍😄😄
Thanks! I tried to make it a fun, comfy trip. I cut mattress toppers to fit everyone's bunks (the cushions are a bit flat), made food up ahead of time, we had games and music and plenty of electrical power to go around.

We'd never had an oil sheen before. our engine sump doesn't connect to our regular bilge - we hand-pump the engine bilge ourselves. It's a fuel pump injector which is leaking. The mechanic showed me exactly where the leak is happening. We have a lot of good access to the engine. Our Racor is no longer in the easy place it was (another stupid thing done by Port Annapolis - I didn't ask them to move it but they did anyway). We just had it replaced last spring and yeah, the marina didn't know what theyw ere doing - didn't fill it to the top with diesel, let air in, over-cranked, killed our starter. Which we had rebuilt. Which is just one of many reasons they did NOT get the work to do the injector or the heat exchanger service.

We do plan to learn what we can with the engine. We started by reading the manual. At which point we realized we need someone to do the work and show us what they do. The class we looked at is expensive - but I guess everything is LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Katie Finnecy at Drum Point Marine in Solomons does hands-on one-on-one engine training. She describes what is going on and hands you tools so you can do it yourself. Not expensive. Recommended. A little far for you but maybe you could work it into a weekend trip.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #1383 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

It’s great to see that other families are out there sailing as one thing that’s made us consider throwing in the towel on being boat owners is how few other families with young children we encounter. When we show up at a lot of destinations around the bay with a baby on board, the dockside community of mostly empty nesters and retirees generally receives us as somewhat of a curiosity, which can be fun but also isolating in a way. While we have friends and enjoy spending time with people of all ages and stages of life, there’s something to be said for having other parents of similar age kids with whom you can commiserate.

With fall on the way, we’re considering many options for next year, the most radical of which would be to move the boat to Solomons as its home port. It may sound crazy to commute all the way down there when we have so many great marinas and cruising grounds closer to home, but for weekends when we want to just go hang out on the boat without going anywhere it would be nice to have a small, family friendly town to bounce around. Beach traffic complicates going to any of the eastern shore towns that may be closer by mileage. Downtown Annapolis is too busy and too much $$$. HdG is quaint but the marinas are expensive and there’s not much to do beyond a few restaurants and gift shops. We can’t really come up with many closer options and we love Solomons and the Calvert Marine Museum. Just have to decide whether the 2 hour drive will either drive us crazy or force us to plan/commit to making the most of our boat weekends. Another downside is that except for anchorages further up the Patuxent, Solomons is pretty darn far from many other weekending destinations.

post #1384 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Sounds like you and Kaimana should plan a meetup on the bay somewhere. Could be a good time.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1385 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

Solomons is a nice place to spend a day or two, but because it's a relatively small town, you quickly run out of things to do and see. Same holds true for many, small seaside communities. I doubt that the cost of slip rent is higher in Perryville, where I keep my boat, than it is in Solomons. Havre de Grace is about on par with Annapolis when it comes to slip rent, though. I've never really understood this. I'm less than a mile away and pay about half the HDG rates.

The neat thing about sailing out of Solomons is that there is usually a great afternoon wind that kicks up on a daily basis there. It's about 4 miles to the mouth of the Patuxent from Solomons Island, but because the prevailing summer wind is southwest, you can usually hoist the sails as soon as you clear the sandbar channel and make a hard left turn for the open bay.

There are some neat destinations that are not all that far from Solomons. Point Lookout State Park is just 35 miles down the bay, and there is a small, very protected anchorage in Lake Canoy, which is just a short walk to the park's beaches, or a longer walk to the US Civil War Museum that is inside the park boundaries. If you are a history buff, there is a lot of history at this location. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Lookout_State_Park

Another 35 miles to the south and you will find the Rappahannock River, which offers some nice anchorages and a great restaurant just downriver of White Stone Bridge near Locklie's Marina. https://www.rroysters.com/restaurants/merroir

Point the bow southeast and head for Cape Charles, which is about 45 more miles down the bay. The town of Cape Charles has a fascinating history, there is an excellent, new city marina and a restaurant on premises. Just 6 miles to the south is where you'll find the concrete Liberty Ships sitting on the bottom that form the breakwater for the old Kiptopeke Ferry and Kiptopeke State Park. The anchorage behind the Liberty Ships is fairly well protected and the beaches of the park are fantastic. https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kipt...k-cape-charles

From Cape Charles, it's a half day sail across the bay to Norfolk and it's revitalized Inner Harbor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downto...folk,_Virginia .

So, I guess from my perspective, Solomons would be a great place to sail from, especially if you have some long weekends available to you.

Good luck,

Gary
4arch likes this.

Last edited by travlin-easy; 09-13-2016 at 03:41 PM.
post #1386 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

4arch - we are in a similar situation. Everybody at Bohemia Bay has been very nice and patient with us. We also try to have the kids below and the boat buttoned up by 8ish, so the crying doesn't disturb anybody's peace and quiet! There are a couple of boats with kids in our marina, but rarely see kids anywhere else. And definitely having someone to converse with about proper diaper disposal on a sailboat is hard to find!
4arch, TakeFive and punahougirl84 like this.

1992 Catalina 42 "Ankyra"
1988 Catalina 30 TRFK "Bare Feet"
1974 Catalina 22 swing keel "O'really!"
post #1387 of 1896 Old 09-13-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

This hit a cord with me, not negative I hope I can express this as sometimes internet words don't convey true feelings

Donna and I have know you and Sharon almost 10 years now and love getting together with you guys. I remember hosting 5 Sailnet Rondevous atMYC and you were there every year. I still have Joe M pictures of the original Spindrift that day he perched on top of the route 450 bridge and shot them Whenever we do get together we always talk forever it seems and we treasure your friendship. We enjoy seeing you guys now as parents of besutiful Mallory. We read Sharon's Facebook posts and always laugh and are amazed how she has grown.

Yeah we are empty nesters....dinks actually ...but we always remember what is was having kids ourselves and the joy they bring. We love seeing families out on boats as a unit. In today's world of all the external influences it's so important. There is no greater gift you can be as that of being a parent.

While it's true we have already spent many years of our lives already raising our kids, no way would we ever feel uncomfortable with young or and kids around us in our marina or anchorage. We don't look at them as an annoyance or ruining our experience, quite the contrary. Owning a sailboat is expensive and not many families have the expendable income or more important expendable time when they have children. More when they are younger, but once they are involved in activities the boating times often take a back seat to their sports or interests in organized activities.

It becomes a balancing act then. I think Rick is just comming out of that with his kids growing up and finding lives/ spouses of their own, when that happens. After you raise your kids and they become independent, believe or not they do😀😀👍and the center of focus is their own life including you occasionally hopefully. That leaves you and your wife time to focus on each other or do things without worrying about time spent. That's where we are are we still work

None
Of this takes into account your career and ability to work at something you like and can contribute to others as well as insure your livelihood later in life when the work stops.

We have seen some young sailboat families huddle together and stay away from the "old folks" as they feel they are bothering or disturbing us. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's healthy to have friends of all ages. I wouldn't want to hang out with all dinks all the time. It's balance

You and Sharon have always been part of that balance for us and we treasure your friendship and the time we can spend together. It has been less because of Mallory I think but that's what happens. We miss seeing you, but understand your lives have changed ( for the good) your both great parents.
We have a picture of her at her first B day party in our house.

Going further down the Bay may isolate you some in addition you won't find the sailing community any different I think. Donna and I when we retire in a couple years will probably move our boat ( which ever one we have then) to Solomons . Not worrying about traffic anymore. It will open the Southetn Bay up to us which we like. But it is more isolated there until you get to the Rappohannok.

We spent 10 years at MYC which we don't regret, but we also found ourself going to the same spots eventually. Add the drama and financial position and fees of the club we moved. to where we are was substantially cheaper , almost $2800, and has afforded us many new places to get to on weekends without increasing our drive much as we still work and only have weekends till we retire. We have really enjoyed our first year in the mid Bay region. Choptank is close now, St Micheals, Wye are closer, Chester is closer, Solomons only 42 miles away
Worton and Still Pond still easily reachable in a day.

I would look like you were in Annpolis region, West River, Rhode River, where we are and that area. A two hour ride to Solomons will deter you from a day sail. Look at private slips or just a basic marina. They are out there. Check us out.

No matter where you land, we will always be your friends and connected to you, Sharon and Mallory.
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1388 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Dave,

We certainly value your and Donna’s friendship and support in equal measure and I hope my comments were not taken as us either feeling unwelcome or wanting to distance ourselves as neither of those are the case at all. I agree about having a balance of friends of all ages and we’ve certainly met a great diversity of friends and acquaintances of all types through sailing and really appreciate this aspect of the sailing community. In any situation there are always going to be people who want to stick to their own and people who feel more comfortable mixing things up and I hope not to ever fall into being the sticking to my own type.

My angst about not seeing more families and kids out there is more out of a concern for what the future holds. Growing up boating, I remember there always being plenty of other kids around. Weekends we weren’t out on the water we were either at the pool or I was turned loose to tear around the marina with the other kids – we rode bikes, flew kites, netted crabs off pilings, set up a lemonade stand, and sometimes zipped around on an inflatable dink. I can’t remember seeing anything like this at any marina in my adult life. I hear similar things about kids and parks, campgrounds, and just the general amount of time kids spend outdoors in free play and it’s very unfortunate.

But being realistic and knowing the past is past and we can’t singlehandedly change what today’s society deems “appropriate” activities for children, we wonder if we’ll be able to keep boating fun for Mallory and make it a quality family together time or whether she’ll grow to resent being separated from friends and activities as she gets older. Finding other boat kids for her to play with/hang out with might be a way to make weekending more fun for her and make her feel less like we’re forcing her away from friends.

In the longer term I fear that the lack of boat kids doesn’t bode well for the future of sailing. The world is 70% covered in water and it’s unfortunate that so many people go about their lives in complete obliviousness to it. Getting kids on boats is a really important part of teaching them what treasures the bay offers and how they can protect and preserve them for the future.

As for the idea of moving to Solomons, we’d be doing it not so much in search of a different sailing community as to have diversions off the boat like a museum, the concert series they have down there, and restaurants within walking distance in a location that won’t break the bank. At this point it’s just an idea and almost everything’s on the table.
chef2sail likes this.
post #1389 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Sounds like you and Kaimana should plan a meetup on the bay somewhere. Could be a good time.
Good idea. I believe they're "next door" to us at MD Yacht Club so I'll have to get in touch.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #1390 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss30 View Post
4arch - we are in a similar situation. Everybody at Bohemia Bay has been very nice and patient with us. We also try to have the kids below and the boat buttoned up by 8ish, so the crying doesn't disturb anybody's peace and quiet! There are a couple of boats with kids in our marina, but rarely see kids anywhere else. And definitely having someone to converse with about proper diaper disposal on a sailboat is hard to find!
For just one overnight a plastic grocery bag kept in the head works well. For longer than that we had taken to throwing the bag of diapers into the dink tied up astern.
dss30 likes this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in