2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 140 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1391 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
...Once thru the bridge, it kicked up to 22-24 with a few gusts to 30. We saw 4 and a few 5 footers in the pretty short interval waves...
We were in the same area at about the same time on Sunday. Although I previously reported 15-20 kt winds from my wind sensor, I have reason to believe that it is reading low and needs calibration. (I just reconfirmed that my surveyor had pointed this out too.)

I try hard not to exaggerate here, but the sea state that I was seeing would seem to support gusts to 30. Also, the 3+ footers could have been 4-5, as I could see that they were occasionally higher than my freeboard as they approached.

In my prior description I forgot the mention the guy we saw attempting to singlehand DDW with a asym up (no main IIRC). Boat was 35-40' long. The asym was flogging to death, and he was having big problems with forestay wrap. Several times he tried to turn off-wind, and each time he promptly heeled by well over 45 degrees. A couple times I thought he was going to put his mast in the water. He ultimately had to go forward to get it under control. He was too far away for me to tell exactly what the problem was or what he was doing on the bow. I saw no sign of a PFD or harness, though it's possible he was too far away for me to really tell. Eventually he got it under control, so I felt better proceeding past (though I turned around shortly after that, as mentioned in my prior post).

Those of you who waited until after noon to depart saw none of this. In fact, if we had waited we would have probably made it all the way to Worton instead of aborting to Magothy.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1392 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Good idea. I believe they're "next door" to us at MD Yacht Club so I'll have to get in touch.
Where are you? Fairview? Oak Harbor? We are at MYC.

We had concerns about finding a place with kids as well. I grew up at a yacht club (10 mins from the house) - was in the junior sailing program which ran Saturdays during the school year and had weekly sessions during the summer. Most of my best friends were and are kids I met there. But our club was near everything, convenient, so many people and many families could and did participate year-round (yes, Hawaii sailing is year-round!). We were there all the time, had our birthday parties there, holiday parties. We all hung out on each other's family's boats. We'd spend the night. Swim in the pool. Our wedding reception was at the club. I'm still a non-resident member of Waikiki Yacht Club. It was home and I can never be grateful enough to my parents for that experience and really that privilege. It wasn't fancy (we lived in t-shirts and bathing suits most of the time, and went barefoot a lot) but it was awesome.

The experience here is different. My kids did sail camp and got to meet others, and while the pool was open they got to meet and play with others. There were kids that visited for Opening Day. But pretty much whenever we go down to the boat, there are no other kids there. So many people have to come from so far away, and it's not like you can just hang around the club house any particular day/evening of the week. But we didn't find any place like what I was used to, and I knew I wouldn't. MYC was the best option of all those I evaluated. We will make it work and figure things out.

The people we have met and talked to at MYC have been really nice and helpful. One live-aboard couple really made a difference. She gave me a piling bumper when, a couple days after we brought the boat up, there was basically a wind storm and I only had two fenders. Plus she helped me redo my dock lines. And together they installed our new windex.

We were really excited to go meet the cruising family with two kids that have the same boat we have - and the kids all got along really well. They had a lot in common (fans of reading - Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc., plus drawing, origami, etc.). They took us to their boat on their dinghy. Daniel liked their boat because it was "homey" - he actually stated he'd sleep on their boat but not ours because it was more "comfortable" (thank goodness I got our boat to the point where he slept there no problem). But they are from WI and have moved on.

My kids are asking if they can bring their friends, which I'd already said yes to! We figured if we couldn't find other sailing families we'd just have to bring other families along. Gotta get some spare kid-sized life jackets.

Too bad we have to get the engine worked on - I'm hoping the guy can expedite the process so we aren't out of commission for too long.
4arch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1393 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
...In the longer term I fear that the lack of boat kids doesn’t bode well for the future of sailing. The world is 70% covered in water and it’s unfortunate that so many people go about their lives in complete obliviousness to it. Getting kids on boats is a really important part of teaching them what treasures the bay offers and how they can protect and preserve them for the future...
I agree completely. When my kids were young we limited our activities to trailer boats because we didn't want to pull them away from friends over the summer. I still wonder if we did the right thing and missed an opportunity for more enriching summers centered more heavily around boating.

A couple weeks ago when we were slip-bound waiting for the hurricane that never came, we did a car trip to Fairlee Creek. It has such a reputation for go-fast boats and big raftups, I was kind of curious to see what the whole place was like. One of the first things I noticed was a kids' club, complete with a separate building dedicated to kids' activities. I have no idea how successful that is, but was impressed that they at least appear to be making an effort to be kid friendly.

Hopefully, when your young one is a little older and more independent, you can find a marina near you that makes a similar effort.
4arch likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #1394 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
My angst about not seeing more families and kids out there is more out of a concern for what the future holds...

In the longer term I fear that the lack of boat kids doesn’t bode well for the future of sailing. The world is 70% covered in water and it’s unfortunate that so many people go about their lives in complete obliviousness to it. Getting kids on boats is a really important part of teaching them what treasures the bay offers and how they can protect and preserve them for the future...
My kids have been taught about and developed an interest in marine environments through school and the HoCo curriculum. They've visited museums, learned the history and economy of the Chesapeake right down to oyster shucking, and even in art class my youngest got to design a solution to pollution in the Bay. He's very concerned about it.

I'm hoping they develop a love of the water and will continue to care about protecting our planet's environment as they grow up. So many people live far away from bodies of water and don't think about or worry about what humans do that affects this vital resource. It's one thing to see a photo or news story but it's another thing to experience the problems we face in real life. Field trips can help, and not everyone gets those.

We saw several dead fish on our sail back on Monday (striped bass - rockfish?) - and we had a discussion about what might have happened to them. Not many people get that experience.
4arch likes this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1395 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Where are you? Fairview? Oak Harbor? We are at MYC.
We're at Fairview so we should meet up.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #1396 of 1896 Old 09-14-2016

I have never felt anything but good things cruising with our kids. Olivia was born in February and was sailing that March. Elizabeth was born in November and sailing in March. Ive never felt anything but welcome with our kids no matter their age... infants or now, 9 and 11. Some of the best times we ahve had, and continue to have are while sailing. They have grown up on the boat and love it. Yeah, things have changed over the years with what I do with them, thats probably pretty obvious to any parent... but its still something they enjoy very much... now they want to invite friends Now more than ever they want to learn more about sailing itself, which I am so happy about. Yeah, they both like their down time but help with everything, cooking, docking, helm, cleaning, etc etc... but that is who they are, they want to participate most of the time. Meeting up with others with kids of similar age happens and they look forward to that as well... like this past weekend as an example when we met up with a family in Worton Creek. Bonus, the kids like each other a lot. Its all what you make of it I suppose...

Not to many weeks ago we met the same family and the weather was a bit extreme, 35 knots gustimg to 45 knots. It was never uncomfortable or not safe. But I took proper measures to be sure it was comfortable for us. Reefing, lee shore, etc...

Shawn

Shawn

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-18-2016 at 08:07 AM.
post #1397 of 1896 Old 09-16-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Another weekend here. Weather is cooling off to bearable levels. Doesn't look like much wind. We are headed somewhere up the Miles. Maybe the Wye, maybe past St michaels

Vacation 2 starts next Friday. Our plan is to trek around the southern bay visiting Port Charles, the Rappahannock, Piankatank, Prentice Cove! and Mojack Bay. Weather is cooling off, kids are in school won't be as crowded. We may stay in a couple of Marinas a few nights so reduced slip rates ( cheaper there anyway) the foliage will be starting to turn leading to great scenery.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1398 of 1896 Old 09-16-2016

Had a great wind in the upper bay today, 12 to 15 all day long from the ESE, no humidity, no flies, temperature never got above 78 in the cockpit, and I actually had to wear a sweater because that brisk wind with low humidity made it feel pretty darned cold. Fantastic sail down to Betterton and back, about 30 miles.

All the best,

Gary
post #1399 of 1896 Old 09-17-2016

We got down to the boat about 5 pm and decided since it's a full moon night to go out night sailing. Took a nap and woke up around 11 and cast off . We're out around Thomas Point now, wind 10 knots making 5.5 on our way to Eastern Bay. Probably head to the Wye and drop the hook in Dividing Creek and get some shuteye.

Night sailling has a certain peacefulness to it. Phosphorescent trail behind the boat. Even quieter than day sailing???
Very different on the Bay as opposed to the night ocean sailing as the lights on and are so deceptive at times.
We were hailed by a tanker as he spotted our AIS signature and asked us to vary 10 degrees on our course to avoid coming anywhere near him.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1400 of 1896 Old 09-18-2016

Motor sailing home off of Thomas Point Light after a 3 hour tacking duel down Eastern Bay. About 12 sailboats in an informal Dual of tactics and long tacks in 12 knots head on wind. No one was really racing Or would admit to it of course but it turned into a really challenging fun competition of close together sailing and over ing each other on long 3 mile tacks up wind. After we all finally hit Bloody Point the wind lightened to 6 knots dead down wind for us.

Yesterday we sailed on the Miles down pas St Micheals a few times and returned to the East Wye and Granary Creek. Had it all to ourself. Dinner was grilled red snapper with coconut lime sauce, baked mini golden potato salad and fresh beefsteak to,a toes and fresh mozzarella. The moon was full and the wild turkeys on shore were unglued gobbling into the wee hours.

If your never been to Granary Creek it's not for the faint of heart to enter. The reward however is pure nature setting

Planned out our next weeks vacation with visits to cape Charles, Rappahannock, Prentice Creek, Dunn Cove and Tillighman Island.
punahougirl84 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in