2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 141 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1401 of 1896 Old 09-18-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Dave, when you get to Tilghman say hi to Buddy Harrison, Jr for me - I haven't seen him in 10 years.

I'm also headed south this coming week, leaving Tuesday morning if the weather cooperates, Annapolis, Solomons, Point Lookout, Rappahannock River, possibly Cape Charles, then returning via Crisfield, Chesapeake Beach, Magothy River, Worton Creek, and finally, Perryville. Retirement allows me to make trips like this. Now, if the weather really cooperates, I'll make the loop single handed.

All the best,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1402 of 1896 Old 09-18-2016

There was a slipholders' party yesterday, so that kept us from heading out because we wanted to continue to get to know our neighbors. So I took the time to do some needed upgrades/repairs. I took apart my Navpod for the first time and found sufficient space inside to install the transmitter for my wireless autopilot remote. It may come in handy this fall if we have chilly/wet weather and want to hunker down under the dodger. I brought this device over from Take Five, where I had ended up using it a lot more than I ever expected.

I've had some problems getting the motor to shift into forward. It takes up to a second for the transmission to engage from neutral to forward. Reverse is fine. It appeared that it's caused by the fact that the shift lever bangs into the binnacle tube, which prevents the lever from going fully forward. I downloaded the service manual, which described this very symptom, and said it could be caused by insufficient travel of the shift lever on the transmission. The lever should go 1 3/8" in either direction to engage properly, and moving it further is strongly recommended. When I measured it, the lever only goes 1" for forward, and up to 2" for reverse. So that's the smoking gun. I need to move the mounting bracket by 1/2" to make it symmetric and above spec in both directions. This required some tools that I don't have at the boat, so I had to leave it disassembled and bring the parts home. But it will be fixed by next week. It's nice to have a well-defined problem with a clear-cut fix. Of course, having no problems would be even better, but this is a boat after all!

I also got much more familiar with the other things under the aft berth (raw water strainer, Racor, muffler bleed valve, shaft log, packing gland). There's a huge wood cover for all this that requires emptying out the whole aft berth and both cushions. Definitely too time consuming, especially if in an emergency situation. Since everything that matters is in the front half of that compartment, I'm going to cut the cover in half right where the two cushions meet. Then I only need to push all the stuff into the back half and remove the front cushion. The cover came home with me so I can do this.

Since grilling is not allowed in the slip, we tested out the microwave, stove, and oven this time. Everything worked great. Dinner was simple: beef tacos on soft corn tortillas, made exactly the way my college girlfriend's mother taught me. Fitting, since my college girlfriend's father is the one who taught me to sail.

I'm very glad we bought a boat comfortable enough to be a "dock queen" on those weekends when we can't get out. My wife loves the boat so much that she's always willing to come along even if I'm just going to be working - and the extra pair of hands often comes in handy when my body is contorted in confined areas.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-18-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #1403 of 1896 Old 09-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
If your never been to Granary Creek it's not for the faint of heart to enter. The reward however is pure nature setting.
Sounds like a nice weekend. We like Granary a lot and have been in a few times. It's often empty or has just one other boat anchored when Dividing is more crowded. It's a neat anchorage - on our top 10 of the bay - and we always go ashore to Wye Island to walk the trails. Wish we could make it over that way more often. At some point we'd like to try to nose into the two large unnamed coves southwest/downriver of Dividing. They appear on the charts to carry good depth and I've occasionally seen boats anchored in each.

Last edited by 4arch; 09-19-2016 at 10:32 AM.

post #1404 of 1896 Old 09-19-2016

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men... I was hoping to head out on Tuesday, but health issues have curtailed my departure. Have to see the pulmonary doctor Wednesday morning. Not breathing well at all, even on portable oxygen.

Gettin old sucks,

Gary
post #1405 of 1896 Old 09-19-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Well, the best laid plans of mice and men... I was hoping to head out on Tuesday, but health issues have curtailed my departure. Have to see the pulmonary doctor Wednesday morning. Not breathing well at all, even on portable oxygen.

Gettin old sucks,

Gary
Sorry to hear Gary. We were hoping on meeting up down south below Solomon's. Take care of yourself. Stay well.

Dave and Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1406 of 1896 Old 09-19-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Sounds like a nice weekend. We like Granary a lot and have been in a few times. It's often empty or has just one other boat anchored when Dividing is more crowded. It's a neat anchorage - on our top 10 of the bay - and we always go ashore to Wye Island to walk the trails. Wish we could make it over that way more often. At some point we'd like to try to nose into the two large unnamed coves soutahwest/downriver of Dividing. They appear on the charts to carry good depth and I've occasionally seen boats anchored in each.
We anchored in those coves for protection from NW breezes the one closest to Dividing could fit 6 boats the other two. Plenty deep close to shore.

This year because of where we are located the Wye has been our default go to place. You can find peace and quiet or a huge anchorage like Shaw Bay. Then past Granary Creek is Pickering Creek and Skipton Creek.
We dinghied to Wye Landing from there where Donna got steamed crabs to massacre.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1407 of 1896 Old 09-20-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post

Gettin old sucks,

Gary
Let us know what the doc says. We're pulling for you.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1408 of 1896 Old 09-20-2016
Chastened

Question for those of you with "complex" cruisers with pressure water systems-

Do you winterize your fresh water systems with pink RV anti-freeze?
Does it leave an aftertaste?

This past spring, I opened the ports on one of my fresh water tanks and scrubbed it out by hand, drained it, then filled it with about 5 gallons of water, shocked it with bleach, drained it again and finally put it in service. I filled it with water from home, poured in from a 6 gallon jerry can made for transporting potable water.

The water tasted just fine. Drank it straight from the tap with no problems. Showered, cooked, cleaned with no adverse effects. Admittedly, I left about 25 gallons of water in the tank from say, early July until early September. I topped it off with 5 more gallons.

During our Smith Island trip two weeks ago, we noticed that the water had a tiny bit of a bitter tang to it.
The summer was very hot and the tank water probably got pretty warm. Was it just getting stagnant or do I have a different problem?

We ended up using the entire tank during our trip for cooking, showering and cleaning, so the water is gone. I can open the tank up and scrub it out and shock it again but I wanted an opinion about the weird taste. I never had this problem with my Pearson, even when the water was a month or two old.

What do you think?

post #1409 of 1896 Old 09-20-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Question for those of you with "complex" cruisers with pressure water systems
"Stagnant" just means not flowing. The issues come from growth - mostly algae but sometimes bacterial or viral. Since you have cleaned the tank(s) already the mostly place for growth is in the lines. Shocking the system is the second best way to deal with that; the best way is to replace all the lines. *grin*

For winterizing, if you have a water heater disconnect it and jump the water lines around it. The water heater should have a drain. Installing bypass valves is a convenience.

Many people do use pink RV antifreeze. I do detect an unpleasant aftertaste; some people don't.

I run my tanks dry, blow compressed air through the lines one at a time, and vacuum any residual water from the tank. It doesn't take any longer than antifreeze. Take the aerator/strainers off faucets and the shower head off and soak them in vinegar.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #1410 of 1896 Old 09-20-2016
Chastened

I totally agree with simply draining/blowing the system vacant. I drained the system on the Pearson, never put anything in it.
Question: Can you "blow" the water out of one of those old PAR diaphragm fresh water pumps or do you just run them dry?

I did not use the water heater this season. I drained it and shut the supply valve.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in