2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 148 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1471 of 1896 Old 09-26-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Annapolis is like the "deep fried Twinkie" on the Chesapeake- You know it's really bad for you, but you eat it once or twice a year anyway.

Yes it's touristy, but the town is very walkable.
That's classic. Love it!

We were in the mood for a lot of walking around that night, so it seemed the most reachable downwind town to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
...Ever since upgrading to a new generation anchor, I haven't had a single problem anchoring anywhere in Annapolis. I think that with advent of better anchors, the ranting and raving about poor holding may eventually fade into myth and legend.
While on the water taxi (prior to their dragging), the couple told me that their anchor was a Rocna, although it is the Vulcan model. I'm not sure why they have that model, since Catalinas don't typically have any "platypus bowsprits" or other obstructions that would be incompatible with a roll bar. But it sounds like maybe the lack of a roll bar was problematic for anchoring in the downslope area where they were located.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1896 Old 09-26-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

No matter what anchor you have it is not a good place to anchor IMHO. Silt is silt. Too many stories of people dragging there for my liking.
That's enough to warn me away. Besides its the chop Capitol of the world with all the powerboats there. In addition to it all, It's very exposed with fetch

I prefer peace of mind vs excitement, but that's just me. I am a safety type very over cautious.

Our dinghy lets us get off the boat and walk around anywhere without having to anchor in the midst of the mayhem.

Some people flock to Annapolis fireworks, we run. Some people flock to Annapolis. We like it, but feel it's a major rip off compared to Newport that being sad it's got great tradespeople and knowledge though way overpriced, and a great place to keep a sailboat in Back Creek but way to expensive. It is however the second sailing capital of the east coast....which is quite and achievement and has huge historical significance. As well it is my state capital. We love it in small doses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1473 of 1896 Old 09-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I'll post some photos of the installation.
Would love to see them.

Mike

post #1474 of 1896 Old 09-26-2016

Be glad to Mike when I get back to the boat - lots of health problems right now to contend with.

Gary
smitty225 likes this.
post #1475 of 1896 Old 09-26-2016

Due to a variety of circumstances we haven't joined a single event with our sailing Association this season so decided to make this weekend our first despite the destination being to windward with gusting to 20 conditions. The event was a race to West River with cruisers invited to join the race with their own start or just cruise and meet up for the after party. Some of our cruising friends signed up to race, but with just the wife and I as crew we decided to just cruise.

Since there was just the two of us and I didn't feel like fighting the weather/boat, I decided to be super conservative and went with double reefed main and 3 rolls left of the fuller. Boat felt great, but pointed about like expected, so we spent the AM going east and west with only hints of northward progress. As the day wore on, the wind decreased a bit, the full jib came out, then to one reef in the main, and finally the full main and jib for run down West River. All in all not a bad sail and we learned a bit about keeping things manageable with minimal crew in higher winds and waves. In retrospect, I probably would have been able to point much better with a bit more jib out. We would really benefit from a smaller jib for these conditions so we could point better and still have the boat well balanced as it was.

I was somewhat upset when our cruising friends texted me to inform me what slip they were in and ask if I was at the marina yet, when we were still in West River. I was under the impression that despite seeing them leave the marina at least 30 minutes ahead of us that they hung out for the race start, about 30-40 minutes after we passed the starting area. From the boats I could see it appeared we had dropped in line behind the race fleet, but ahead of the racing/cruisers, so was perplexed how they ended up so far ahead of us. Turns out the owner got concerned about doing the race and just headed straight to Pirates Cove, so they were well ahead of us all day. Since they had some crew they had out more sail than us most of the trip, plus a faster boat to begin with. Had I not thought they were racing, I might have hesitated to head upwind in those conditions and might not have been so insistent on sailing every inch of it. lol. Anyway we made it and took a slip overnight at Pirates Cove and had a nice happy hour and dinner with some HHSA folks.

I was expecting a big pay off from our upwind effort on the way home as the forecast was still calling for a fresh breeze out of the NE. The morning started out promising as we motored into a good breeze leaving the river and set off on a brisk beam reach down the bay hitting over 6 knots for a while in the AM, before the wind started to fade. The further south we got the more the wind softened. We eventually needed to go dead downwind, so went wing on wing until the VMG gradually dropped from an acceptable 3+ knots to a painful 1 to 1.5 knots. At that point we threw in the towel and cracked out the iron jenny to get back home.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #1476 of 1896 Old 09-28-2016

Sailing back up the Bay today with 20+ gust to 28. Reefed main and job flying averaging well over 7.25. Spent a night at Prentice Creek, then Cater Creek up the Rappahannock before turning around. Tonight it's Dunn Cove and tomorrow San Domngo Creek on the Choptank . My wife wants to shop in St Micheals .

Had great weather till today, but still just squalls. The wind is intense though especially the Potomac Crossing. Only too 3 hours as we were flying.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1477 of 1896 Old 09-28-2016

Hey Chef, Dave. Where can I find Pacific skate wings in this part of the world? I can buy cow nose ray wings, but they are pretty nasty tasting. Pacific skate is a delicate, sweet, white meat and totally different.

Good luck out there,

Gary
post #1478 of 1896 Old 09-28-2016

[QUOTE=travlin-easy;3678185]Hey Chef, Dave. Where can I find Pacific skate wings in this part of the world? I can buy cow nose ray wings, but they are pretty nasty tasting. Pacific skate is a delicate, sweet, white meat and totally different.

Good luck out there,

Gary

[/http://www.lotteplaza.com/store-location-inquiries/

Little market may have that. The store in Ellicot City is the one I got to for Asian foods. The have flash frozen delicacies of the sea I have never heard of or ever seen. In addition they have a huge selection of fresh produce from Asia also . For instance 6 varieties of Bok Choy. They have desserts and specialty items too.
Asian pears ( one of my favorites) by the case for 12 dollars . I a regular store they are generally 2.50 apiece.

Just an FYI I was a professional chef for 35 years but don't practice professionally any more.

It is a supermarket of great food, a neat place to explore and go to

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1479 of 1896 Old 09-28-2016

I'll be sure to check it out sometime tomorrow. And, I love Asian pears, too.

Gary
post #1480 of 1896 Old 09-29-2016
James Cooper

My 2016 season looks like it might finally start. A lot of changes early this year between getting out of the Navy, moving, starting a new job...

Going to make sure our 18' American Fiberglass is good to go this weekend, and hopefully get it out on the water soon. My 3.5 year old is really excited finally and is anxious to help out. Has me dreaming about getting a larger boat for the family we can work on and do weekend trips...someone talk me out of it.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in