LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1481 of 1896 Old 09-29-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_VA View Post
...someone talk me out of it.
No, you're on your own there!

Sounds great! All the best to you and your family.

Congrats on your retirement. I'm a couple years or so away from retirement from the Army. Have fun out on the water.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1482 of 1896 Old 09-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_VA View Post
My 2016 season looks like it might finally start. A lot of changes early this year between getting out of the Navy, moving, starting a new job...

Going to make sure our 18' American Fiberglass is good to go this weekend, and hopefully get it out on the water soon. My 3.5 year old is really excited finally and is anxious to help out. Has me dreaming about getting a larger boat for the family we can work on and do weekend trips...someone talk me out of it.
Definitely go for it! Great father-son activity.

Get him swim lessons as soon as you possibly can. And life jacket 100% of the time anywhere near the water, even on the docks or around the boat ramp. I had a kid fall off the dock once during the split-second that we looked away, and his PFD turned it into a non-event.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1483 of 1896 Old 09-29-2016
James Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
No, you're on your own there!

Sounds great! All the best to you and your family.

Congrats on your retirement. I'm a couple years or so away from retirement from the Army. Have fun out on the water.
Not quite! I did not retire, I did five years and got out after my initial enlistment. I was a respiratory therapist and as I progressed in rank, I was going to get less time doing actual patient care which is what I enjoy the most.

Thanks for the well-wishes regardless!

TakeFive - he has spent a good bit of time in a pool with a PFD and is quite comfortable. We are very safety-conscious people, so no concerns there.

Our primary concern is financial in nature. We are single income (we are very fortunate to have my wife be able to stay at home with the boys). Getting a boat won't be an issue, plenty to be had in a 1500-3000 range that are sail-worthy. My main concern is monthly slip fees. Maintenance and improvement costs, spread out over time, will be fine.

We would want to stay in the Gloucester/West Point area, so I'm going to call around and see what slip fees run for a 30ish foot boat.

Just a bit hesitant in making that financial commitment for the first time!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

post #1484 of 1896 Old 09-29-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are anchored in San Domingo Creek off Dick Chaneys house. Only boat on the creek. Took a dinghy ride into St Micheals and hung out for a few hours between rain showers. Wind on the Choptank was 30 + and Thomas Point saw gusts to 45.

In St Micheals stopped at Ava's Pizzeria. Pizza was great. I got a spinach shrimp white pizza and Donna had a bacon mushroom one. Each pizza was $17 which was outrageous. Service was ok. It's kind of a yuppie pizza place. Would I recommend...yes..but bring money.

We are safely anchored behind a group of trees and saw nothing over 20. It deluged at times and was a great day to nap and just relax. Made some homemade turkey chili and drop biscuits for dinner. Tress were really bristling loud with the wind with the birds all down on the water save the two bald eagles watching over everything accross the creek from us.

Tomorrow not sure but looks like we will venture further up the Choptank to LaTrappe Creek.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1485 of 1896 Old 09-30-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Pffft..."bring money" sounds like standard St. Michael's protocol to me.
Don't get me wrong, we like it there. I'm just sayin'.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1486 of 1896 Old 09-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The plastic ring that is the dorade part of mushroom vents seems to deteriorate with time and water gets through the cracks. The last time I looked the part was nearly as expensive as a new vent.
FYI, last time I was at the boat I pulled off the mushroom to inspect things. I scrubbed all the dirt off the plastic ring, and upon inspection it looks like the ring was bedded with RV-grade butyl rubber that had dried and cracked. The permanent fix looks like it will be to remove the old bedding and re-bed with MaineSail's butyl. Since I did not have he materials available, I did a temporary fix with Cap'n Tolley's around the edge of the bedding. I watched it with the security camera during the rain yesterday, and saw no sign of dripping, so apparently it worked.

When I return to the boat I am going to remove the ring, and take the opportunity to polish the whole hatch with some Novus acrylic polish in hopes of smoothing out some of the sharp edges of the crazing cracks. Then I have some samples of window laminate that is designed to fill in crazing cracks and make them disappear, so I will test that to see if I can knock down the crazing appearance without doing a full replacement of the hatch.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1487 of 1896 Old 09-30-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Pffft..."bring money" sounds like standard St. Michael's protocol to me.
Don't get me wrong, we like it there. I'm just sayin'.
Yeah have to agree. Restaurants there are not inexpensive. Compared to other " quaint " bay towns though from Solomon's northward they are comporable. I just thought for pizza 17 was pricy.

I think we look as visitors by boat differently. St Micheals, Annapolis ! Solomon's are land destinations too fir people wanting to travel to the water.

Most of the restaurants on the southern Bay in the creeks are considerable cheaper and also more down home or don't have the commercial character the Annapolis, St Michaels, Solomon's ones have we have noticed. There are a lot of "finds " in towns like Urbanna , Yorktown Chrissfield, Smith Island etc.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1488 of 1896 Old 09-30-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, last time I was at the boat I pulled off the mushroom to inspect things. I scrubbed all the dirt off the plastic ring, and upon inspection it looks like the ring was bedded with RV-grade butyl rubber that had dried and cracked.
Excellent.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #1489 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016
美國佬

I'm anchored in the lee of Mangrove Cay in the Bahamas. I got here this morning after making my way down the Bay last night, through the ICW to Beaufort, and a more or less straight shot offshore to White Sand Ridge on the edge of the Little Bahama Bank. It was a little lumpy offshore, but not too bad, and my bungee cord steered me the whole way. Not sure where I'm headed from here, but if this rain keeps up I should get a lot more traveling taken care of. I've been using the Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas, various internet sites, and my imagination to get here.
zeilfanaat likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #1490 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

You totally had me going for a moment there...

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in