2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 150 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1491 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I'm anchored in the lee of Mangrove Cay in the Bahamas. I got here this morning after making my way down the Bay last night, through the ICW to Beaufort, and a more or less straight shot offshore to White Sand Ridge on the edge of the Little Bahama Bank. It was a little lumpy offshore, but not too bad, and my bungee cord steered me the whole way. Not sure where I'm headed from here, but if this rain keeps up I should get a lot more traveling taken care of. I've been using the Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas, various internet sites, and my imagination to get here.
Hope Mathew does nightmare your dreams😄

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1492 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016

Willy, with any kind of luck, Mathew will bypass you by several hundred miles and life will be good for you in Paradise this winter.

Good luck,

Gary
post #1493 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Hope Mathew does nightmare your dreams😄
I naturally used my imaginary MacGregor 26 to power past the storm...

I was hoping to take a couple of weeks off starting now, but they changed my schedule at work so that I have no way to use more than a few days of vacation time until November, hence the imaginary trip planning.
chef2sail likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

post #1494 of 1896 Old 10-01-2016

We've landed in Hopkins Creek at the end of the Severn for our last vacation day. Have the place all to ourselves. Some of the leaves turning.
Despite the rain, and dreariness of the last few days ( and some major wind) we love being on the boat. Proper weather gear and good protective canvas have made the weather a non item. We are definitely not fair weather sailors. Many times this year it's been less than optimal conditions letting us enjoy anchorages without a crowd.

Tonight a special dinner earmarking our last night.

Appetizer is a fresh fig and pear salad with Gorgonzola cheese. Entree is Breast of duck with a dried cherry port wine reduction, Isreali Cous Cous with apricots and grilled yellow squash planks. Later for dessert is a homemade apple crisp ( we've finally turned on our oven) which is baking right now turning the boat into a marvelous smelling place.

Tomorrow back to home port with a great vacation behind us.

420 miles sailed. ( about 60 more motored) .
Haleakula performed well except for the 12 year old starter given up the ghost.
Out of 11 days stayed in a marina 2. 9 at anchor. Dinghied ashore every day. Lehr propane outboard started first pull every time.
Having 6-6volt batteries ( 630 ah- 315 usable ah) allowed us three days without turning on the engine for charging them.
Wish we had had another week to revisit Yorktown, Jamestown, and get to Port Charles and explore the lower eastern shore creeks
Lots of wind. Sometimes even too much. 3 days with rain...but who cares
Met some very nice sail boaters along the way
Preview of what it wil be like to retire in 2 years.

And best of all Donna and I got to spend quality time together. Time like that really strengthens our relationship and ability to deal with the rat race of our jobs and just life.

People get many things out of sailing during different phases of life. I raced and loved it. Raised kid(s) on the boat, was and officer in a Yacht Club for 6+ years, but our boat now is our place to be together without all the outside influences and just relax and enjoy each other and nature.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1495 of 1896 Old 10-04-2016

So, what are everybody's thoughts on Matthew? We're at a floating dock and sort of protected in the Baltimore Harbor, but the marina shows some need of some repair. I only have one piling behind my slip but fortunately my cleats are all new and have backing plates and unless something changes I'll have access to the cleats for the neighboring slips to double up the lines. Being all the way at the end of the pier means if the weather gets really bad I'm going to have a tough time getting to the boat.
https://binged.it/2doPrre
I'll strip all the canvas and may even put the boom down below if the forecast warrants it. Double bumpers, double dock lines, double scotch on the rocks I guess.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #1496 of 1896 Old 10-04-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
So, what are everybody's thoughts on Matthew? We're at a floating dock and sort of protected in the Baltimore Harbor, but the marina shows some need of some repair. I only have one piling behind my slip but fortunately my cleats are all new and have backing plates and unless something changes I'll have access to the cleats for the neighboring slips to double up the lines. Being all the way at the end of the pier means if the weather gets really bad I'm going to have a tough time getting to the boat.
https://binged.it/2doPrre
I'll strip all the canvas and may even put the boom down below if the forecast warrants it. Double bumpers, double dock lines, double scotch on the rocks I guess.
There's a pretty good discussion already going on here (includes Chesapeake sailors): https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weathe...e-matthew.html

I think it would be nice to keep it all together.
T37Chef likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #1497 of 1896 Old 10-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I naturally used my imaginary MacGregor 26 to power past the storm...

I was hoping to take a couple of weeks off starting now, but they changed my schedule at work so that I have no way to use more than a few days of vacation time until November, hence the imaginary trip planning.
Lol.....love it

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1498 of 1896 Old 10-04-2016
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Tonight a special dinner earmarking our last night.

Appetizer is a fresh fig and pear salad with Gorgonzola cheese. Entree is Breast of duck with a dried cherry port wine reduction, Isreali Cous Cous with apricots and grilled yellow squash planks. Later for dessert is a homemade apple crisp ( we've finally turned on our oven) which is baking right now turning the boat into a marvelous smelling place.
Your post always make me hungry.
post #1499 of 1896 Old 10-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
Your post always make me hungry.
Lol

Just trying to inspire you too cook. Just because we have boats doesn't mean we have to eat spam and PB &J.

Cooking on a boat can be just as easy.

Besides , It Is the only time I get to cook anymore
oldlaxer1 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1500 of 1896 Old 10-05-2016

At least the food at Ava's is high quality.
Friday boat show, Saturday boat work, Sunday breezy sail.
I've been avoiding fixing a faucet in the head. Big guy, small space.
T37Chef likes this.

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in