2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 158 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1571 of 1896 Old 10-12-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Finally I'm getting a couple days off from work to sail. The work situation is infuriating (company being spun off, executives doing wacky stuff to desperately fight for their jobs, company hemorrhaging talent and nobody being replaced, etc.), so I really need to go sailing to decompress.

Thursday evening we will raft up with some friends in Mill Creek-Whitehall Bay. We hope to be heading through there at the same time as the Great Schooner Race is heading to the starting line so we can see the sights.

Much as we desperately want to head to Eastern Shore anchorages, we have a commitment near home on Saturday afternoon, so Friday night will likely be spent in Eagle Cove so we can make a quick transit back to Rock Hall on Saturday morning.

Our fall calendars are quickly filling up, with a business trip to Europe in early November. So I'll likely head through the canal and up the Delaware River Oct. 29-30 to haul out the boat near home. If the weather window is bad, we may be in Rock Hall until Thanksgiving and fighting short days and colder weather (and the ever-present current schedule on the Delaware) to find a window for the 2-day trip.
Thursday night will be a good night to test your new anchor , front coming through after 10 with steady 17 gusts to 29 out of the north predicted. Mill Creek is pretty protected from that , we are pretty close to there.

Sorry to hear about your workplace. It's must be somewhat unsettling. I've seen something similar in mine a couple of times.

Have fun, we may be headed to the Magothy or Chester sometime Saturday AM. We will keep a lookout for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1572 of 1896 Old 10-12-2016
Tartan 27' owner

@Pounahounagirl & @JohnnyB uddha

A possible way to redo all rigging.

Pay for haul out and having mast pulled (probably a crane charge).
Once mast is on saw horses remove each shroud/stay and bring to local sailmaker that does rigging. Have them make up new replacements for you which you then attach to your mast. You may need a few new turnbuckles & hardware so it will add up but will be way less than $6k if done this way. You will also end up with a set of backup rigging wires ;-).

If you have rod rigging then all bets are off as I don't know how much that costs on average.

This really is a wonderful time of year on the Chesapeake. I can remember a weekend trip I took with friends about 10 years ago on a Hunter 25.5 in early November. We had the gunk/hurricane hole in Harness Creek/Brightwaters Park all to ourselves and although it was cool we kept warm. So warm in fact one of my buddies fell in the 3-4' deep water from the transom while... nevermind. You remember what cell phones were like 10 years ago right? Well, he warmed up but the phone was ... dead. He never called his wife that night and boy was he sorry!

Full moon, autumn breeze, gorgeous. Copious snoring inside a small boat with 4, ahem, adults on board.

Fun!

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 10-12-2016 at 11:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (10-17-2016)
post #1573 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Rick,

The Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race starts at 1pm. In the vicinity of the Severn. It's quite a spectacle. You should check it out if you can.

I'll be there.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #1574 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
@Pounahounagirl & @JohnnyB uddha

A possible way to redo all rigging.

Pay for haul out and having mast pulled (probably a crane charge).
Once mast is on saw horses remove each shroud/stay and bring to local sailmaker that does rigging. Have them make up new replacements for you which you then attach to your mast. You may need a few new turnbuckles & hardware so it will add up but will be way less than $6k if done this way. You will also end up with a set of backup rigging wires ;-).

If you have rod rigging then all bets are off as I don't know how much that costs on average.
Fun!
About 3 years ago, the rod rigging on my 35' sloop (double spreader, 46' air draft) was replaced by a professional rigging service while the boat was at the dock. It took 2 riggers several hours and the bill was about $3500. No crane, just a bosons chair.

FWIW, the old rod was about 22 years old, but wasn't showing any issues. The rigging had been inspected after a lightning strike a few years before that, but I decided to be proactive after witnessing the results of a friend's preparation for a long cruise. Some of his rod ends (not visible without sacrificing the fitting) showed excessive wear and were heading to failure. In his case, his turnbuckles allowed the riggers to re-head the rod, thus recycling most--if not all--of the original, 15 yr old rod.
post #1575 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
About 3 years ago, the rod rigging on my 35' sloop (double spreader, 46' air draft) was replaced by a professional rigging service while the boat was at the dock. It took 2 riggers several hours and the bill was about $3500. No crane, just a bosons chair.

FWIW, the old rod was about 22 years old, but wasn't showing any issues. The rigging had been inspected after a lightning strike a few years before that, but I decided to be proactive after witnessing the results of a friend's preparation for a long cruise. Some of his rod ends (not visible without sacrificing the fitting) showed excessive wear and were heading to failure. In his case, his turnbuckles allowed the riggers to re-head the rod, thus recycling most--if not all--of the original, 15 yr old rod.
Confused. Part of your post said 22 year old rod, while the other said 15.

Curious why you put new fittings on 15/22 year old rod. Ours was 22 years old when we replaced the whole shebang. Even if I didn't have to replace all the rod surely replacing the forestry if you have a furler would be prudent.

Looking at my receipt we also added our Harken Furler 4 at that time do our real payment for complete rod replacement was about $4800.

Also like 4 arch mentioned different boats have different amount of rod/ wire as well as fittings. Also fittings are different too. If I had to do over, I feel confident enough now to tackle this with the mast down.

Not really sure what the 6500 puma girls quote entailed. I'm sure for just the basic you can find cheaper. Maybe up toward middle river or havre de grace.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1576 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

For anyone planning on coming to the Inner Harbor for Fleet Week, be aware that the entrance to the harbor just abeam of Ft Mchenry will be closed Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 til 6:00.
Here is the link to the actual bulletin.
http://www.visitmaryland.org/sites/d...ir%20Show).pdf
I spoke to the Coast Guard and he confirmed the closure but did say they monitor 16 and 22a and from what I understand in the past they may close the route a little later and open a little earlier than posted but that is not definite. Blue Angels perform in the blue shaded area on both Saturday and Sunday. If you are driving to Baltimore, the Baltimore Marathon has a lot of street closures too so you might want to check on that also.
Cheers,
John
T37Chef likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #1577 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

I'll be there Saturday... last time I went the air show was awesome.

Shawn

post #1578 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

Short late afternoon sail today, some good wind and sun!

My girls and I along with a few friends are headed up to Baltimore Saturday to watch the Sailabration events and probably spend the night there and go out in Canton. Next weekend Im planning a four day weekend trip some place quiet where I will hopefully not see another soul Best time of the year to sail the bay!

Shawn

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-13-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #1579 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

If you've never seen the Angels they are spectacular. We were lucky enough to be anchored ""in the box" accross from Ft McHenry last time they were here with about 50 boats surrounded by rage CG. They literally did all their tricks and fly buys right there. We've seen them 3 times in Baltimore. This year we've seen them twice in an unintended show. Once we were coming back from the Little Choptank and 4 of them came screaming out of the sky 100 ft off the deck. As they flew by one of the wing pilots was giving us a wave and a thumbs up. The sound...deafening. We also saw the practicing a few weeks ago when we were on vacation at Solomon's heading down the bay further. They had taken off at Pax River and were practicing some of their show pieces. Great stuff.

Is a show to not miss if you have never seen them.

Were probably going to either the Wye or Cackaway on Langford Creek as their are only a few weekend left with good daylight till DST starts.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1580 of 1896 Old 10-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Confused. Part of your post said 22 year old rod, while the other said 15.

Curious why you put new fittings on 15/22 year old rod. Ours was 22 years old when we replaced the whole shebang. Even if I didn't have to replace all the rod surely replacing the forestry if you have a furler would be prudent.
As indicated in my post, my rigging was 22 yrs old and my friend's was 15 yrs old. I used new rod and my friend recycled his 15 yr old rod. We both used new fittings at the rod ends, because the old ones were not reusable.

Recycling the recycled--but shorter--rod is cost-effective if you have enough range in your existing turnbuckles. I simply wanted new rod after 22 years.

FWIW, my furler was rebuilt as part of the regigging operation. That added about $800 to the $3500 rod replacement.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in