Sunday we had a local 5K and Fun Run in the morning, and decided to go sailing that afternoon. We drove down to MYC - saw a ton of boats out, good breeze, and couldn't wait to go out. Our engine work was done and we were excited. The Blue Angels flew overhead - returning home after the week's festivities - total bonus watching them flying in formation (we'd seen them before - this was like a private show!). Kids were very excited.
As we headed toward the Rock Creek channel I went below to convince our youngest to come up... and heard a weird noise come from the engine compartment. Then water stopped coming out from the engine. Then I checked the engine compartment - smoke! We turned and limped back to the MYC fuel dock (the slip, not the T-head side) as directed by one of the guys there.
We couldn't reach the guy who worked on the engine (though he did get back to me today). A powerboater came over, needing fuel, and he turned out to be a mechanic so he came to take a look. Long story short, the heat exchanger hadn't been properly attached to the muffler/waterlock - it came apart and all the hot water and exhaust went into the engine compartment. The heat melted part of the muffler... I used my Google-Fu to figure out what the part is, and hopefully tomorrow will figure out replacing it.
We didn't get our sail in, but did get practice in "what to do in a potential emergency" - all kids in PFDs were moved to the deck near the mast and away from the potential danger and fumes, we got in to the slip and then moved the boat with our transient lines (the kids helped), we vented the engine through the cockpit hatch (really glad I had latches installed so we could access the engine easily), had called MYC on the radio so someone met us and helped us out. All quickly with no panic. We tested the new raw water pump which was working fine, so we know the engine was getting water and not overheating. I pumped out the engine bilge. One other good thing - the diesel leak is definitely no longer an issue.
We have other sailing plans coming up (including a pumpkin race sponsored by RCRA - kids very much included!). So looking forward to getting this new issue dealt with. I also have to get the headsail down to do some minor repairs (just strips of the Dacron UV cover coming off I think).
- I'm going to talk with the owner of a boat I race on who is doing that with his standing rigging - find out what he is doing and how. For anyone interested, I got a quote in email today: $7,769.55, after a 35% discount on parts (wire rig, not rod!). $5320 is the labor. I've been reading about how people DIY this project - I wish they included a glossary. The research continues.