2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 160 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1591 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I had a successful guys weekend. It’s interesting what ends up in the fridge when you have 2 other guys aboard as opposed to a wife and toddler.

On Saturday we were determined to sail despite the light wind so ended up ghosting our way across the bay at 3-4 knots. When the wind totally died we decided to turn on the engine and head into Rock Hall harbor.

Decided to take a slip as it would have been a little tight to be at anchor with no shore access (dinghy engine is dead – will be shopping for a new one over the winter). It was a highly rated marina and although the staff were great in helping us into the slip, etc., I found the bathrooms to be a bit dated and lacking in cleanliness for the price paid. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with marina bathrooms.

With it being after Labor Day, the town and restaurants were extremely subdued. I took a stroll down Main Street, which was pretty much rolled up by 5 PM. I noticed more signs for a particular presidential candidate in RH than pretty much anywhere else I’ve been over the past few months.

On Sunday morning we headed out early and the winds kicked into the upper teens giving us a fun ride across the bay but gradually died down as we entered back into the Patapsco. At the mouth of the river, what I’m guessing was a dry run for a fleet week demo down in the harbor, a black hawk helicopter approached astern, stopping about a half mile off and hovering about a hundred feet above the water, sending up a massive spray in its down wash.

We didn’t head down to the fleet week venue, but crossing the Key Bridge on the way home could see what must have been close to 200 pleasure boats anchored or adrift off of Ft. McHenry.

When we got back to the marina, there was a beautiful Canadian-flagged 65’ Oyster docked in the slip behind us – undoubtedly taking the “head south” approach to winterizing. Sadly, the marina has already put a few boats on the hard for the winter, although we plan to stay in this year.

All in all, a really fun time. I hope to at the very least get a few more daysails in for the season and maybe one or two more overnights.
chef2sail and punahougirl84 like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

Sunday we had a local 5K and Fun Run in the morning, and decided to go sailing that afternoon. We drove down to MYC - saw a ton of boats out, good breeze, and couldn't wait to go out. Our engine work was done and we were excited. The Blue Angels flew overhead - returning home after the week's festivities - total bonus watching them flying in formation (we'd seen them before - this was like a private show!). Kids were very excited.

As we headed toward the Rock Creek channel I went below to convince our youngest to come up... and heard a weird noise come from the engine compartment. Then water stopped coming out from the engine. Then I checked the engine compartment - smoke! We turned and limped back to the MYC fuel dock (the slip, not the T-head side) as directed by one of the guys there.

We couldn't reach the guy who worked on the engine (though he did get back to me today). A powerboater came over, needing fuel, and he turned out to be a mechanic so he came to take a look. Long story short, the heat exchanger hadn't been properly attached to the muffler/waterlock - it came apart and all the hot water and exhaust went into the engine compartment. The heat melted part of the muffler... I used my Google-Fu to figure out what the part is, and hopefully tomorrow will figure out replacing it.

We didn't get our sail in, but did get practice in "what to do in a potential emergency" - all kids in PFDs were moved to the deck near the mast and away from the potential danger and fumes, we got in to the slip and then moved the boat with our transient lines (the kids helped), we vented the engine through the cockpit hatch (really glad I had latches installed so we could access the engine easily), had called MYC on the radio so someone met us and helped us out. All quickly with no panic. We tested the new raw water pump which was working fine, so we know the engine was getting water and not overheating. I pumped out the engine bilge. One other good thing - the diesel leak is definitely no longer an issue.

We have other sailing plans coming up (including a pumpkin race sponsored by RCRA - kids very much included!). So looking forward to getting this new issue dealt with. I also have to get the headsail down to do some minor repairs (just strips of the Dacron UV cover coming off I think).

Thank you, @CalebD - I'm going to talk with the owner of a boat I race on who is doing that with his standing rigging - find out what he is doing and how. For anyone interested, I got a quote in email today: $7,769.55, after a 35% discount on parts (wire rig, not rod!). $5320 is the labor. I've been reading about how people DIY this project - I wish they included a glossary. The research continues.
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1593 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

That Oyster 655 is an impressive boat isnt it Brian... I went over last night to check it out. I liked the helm area separate from the rest of the cockpit but found it odd the winches were in the lounge area and not closer to the helm cockpit...? Otherwise it was a stunning yacht.

I'm hoping to get out by noon on Friday for a little extended weekend sail. Too bad the warm wont be here by the weekend but hopefully there will be good wind. I'm still reminiscing the sail two weeks ago with winds in the 30s... fantastic sailing!

Went up to see the air show in Baltimore off Fort McHenry twice, Saturday with my girls and a good friend and Sunday with some chef friends and the girls... we ate well with four chefs aboard.

My two daughters have really taken to sailing the boat this year, more than ever before. Olivia, 9 years old pretty much docked the boat with me by her side while Elizabeth, 11 took care of the Spring lines and Bow lines... I was impressed. Elizabeth really got into reading the chart and navigating us home Sunday. We talked about using the chart and depth gauge to check out position along with dead reckoning. She had the helm from the Key Bridge until we passed MYC when Olivia took tge helm while I stowed the sails and then docking the boat. Winds were light but still enough that she understood how to take wind in to account when docking and using prop walk to help turn the boat. Really awesome to experience that as a Dad. They are the best children anyone could ask for. Yeah... I'm a little proud
Donna_F, CalebD, oldlaxer1 and 3 others like this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-17-2016 at 08:12 PM.

post #1594 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Went up to see the air show in Baltimore off Fort McHenry twice, Saturday with my girls and a good friend and Sunday with some chef friends and the girls... we ate well with four chefs aboard.

My two daughters have really taken to sailing the boat this year, more than ever before. Olivia, 9 years old pretty much docked the boat with me by her side while Elizabeth, 11 took care of the Spring lines and Bow lines... I was impressed. Elizabeth really got into reading the chart and navigating us home Sunday. We talked about using the chart and depth gauge to check out position along with dead reckoning. She had the helm from the Key Bridge until we passed MYC when Olivia took tge helm while I stowed the sails and then docking the boat. Winds were light but still enough that she understood how to take wind in to account when docking and using prop walk to help turn the boat. Really awesome to experience that as a Dad. They are the best children anyone could ask for. Yeah... I'm a little proud
You guys looked good coming in - I was shouting from the MYC fuel dock LOL!

Your girls sound awesome!
T37Chef likes this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #1595 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

Ha... sorry I didnt hear you

Shawn

post #1596 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016

The hearing is the third thing to go! My wife told me that.

All the best,

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
post #1597 of 1896 Old 10-17-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Funny. I just happened to come to this part of John Kretschmer's book Sailing a Serious Ocean today:

But then Nari and Nikki, then ages eleven and nine, joined me, and the three of us sailed along the bottom of the Iberian Peninsula and into the Mediterranean. We had a memorable summer visiting Cadiz, Gibraltar, Morocco, and many Spanish ports along the Costa del Sol. At times I felt vulnerable sailing with just my two young children. There was one wild approach into a marina near the Portugal-Spain border, with Nari steering through a narrow channel as I scrambled on deck to drop the main. And there was the night Nikki found out that her favorite team, the Miami Heat, had traded her favorite player, Brian Grant, to the Lakers for some nobody named Shaquille O'Neal. She cried inconsolably despite my attempts to sooth her with gelato...

I hope the five year old boy in the slip next to me gets to have memorable times like your girls, Shawn, as he grows up on his parents' boat. He already asked us what our boat draft was so he may be on his way.

Keep up the good work.
T37Chef likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #1598 of 1896 Old 10-18-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Bummer about the engine failure. Sounds like a plastic Vetus muffler if it melted down. They seem common enough.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1599 of 1896 Old 10-18-2016

Today, NOAA weather called for 5 to 10 MPH out of the SW, which was dead wrong. The real winds were SSE to S at 15 to 20 through much of the entire day. I had a ball, though I was only wearing a sweater and I was a bit chilly till the sun got low enough to shed some rays beneath the Bimini.

NOAA is calling for west winds of 5 to 10 tomorrow, however, the wind had already switched to the west by the time I got back to my slip, and it was blowing a steady 10 with some gusts. Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thursday looks like a bust, with light winds and rain late in the day, and the weekend forecast is for cold, windy and dry. Winter's definitely sneaking up on us.

Donna, the way the season is going, I figured we would not see each other so I gave that bottle of Merlot to MarioG a couple weeks ago. Next spring, I'll put another on the boat for ya.

All the best,

Gary
post #1600 of 1896 Old 10-18-2016

Elizabeth checking our course

At the helm

Olivias turn...

Shawn

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in