2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 187 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1861 of 1896 Old 12-16-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Hey Gary... you're still GStud in my book. Hang in there... just the next chapter for you and the Mrs.

All the best,
SH

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1896 Old 12-16-2016

Thanks Shawn. I wish we could have rafted up last summer, but maybe we can meet up and I'll buy you a beer next spring. Just won't be able to sail to your neighborhood anymore.

All the best,

Gary
post #1863 of 1896 Old 12-16-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Well, Saturday's Child has been on the hard for about two weeks, everything seems just fine, the solar panel is doing a great job keeping the batteries topped off and nothing has frozen despite the 20 degree temperatures last night.

The unfortunate thing is that the old gal will go up for sale in the next few months. The boat is in great shape, but the captain is shot to Hell. During the past month, my lung condition has deteriorated to the point where the stress of getting dressed causes me to be out of breath and have to use supplemental oxygen, and sometimes, a rescue inhaler. Consequently, I seriously doubt that I would be able to raise the main sail or safely climb to the foredeck. As the song goes, "The party's over, all good things come to an end."

I'll probably still hang around the sail net for a while, but not even sure about that. The one think I will always remember is all the wonderful folks I've met on this forum.

All the best,

Gary
Damn GAry sorry it's come to that

You are a fine man and a good contributor here. I feel lucky to have met you and been in your company a few times. You contributed also to some of our Sailnet Rondevous we sponsored at our previous place.

I will miss your stories as well as historical perspective only one who has lived would have, so don't give up on the site.

You are welcome anytime to home for a sail with Donna and I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1864 of 1896 Old 12-16-2016

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I'm now tethered to an oxygen line, and because it draws a huge amount of current when connected to batteries, about 17 amps, it's really not practical to take it on a sailboat. The oxygen machine's onboard batteries only last about 45 minutes and there are only two of them. I really do appreciate the invitation, though.

All the best, and give my best to Donna

Gary
post #1865 of 1896 Old 12-16-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I'm now tethered to an oxygen line, and because it draws a huge amount of current when connected to batteries, about 17 amps, it's really not practical to take it on a sailboat. The oxygen machine's onboard batteries only last about 45 minutes and there are only two of them. I really do appreciate the invitation, though.

All the best, and give my best to Donna

Gary
Gary,

We have 6-6volt Lifelines and carry 720 ah. More than enough for you to go with us for a 6-8 hour day sail and not impact our battery load.

We both have CPAPs which has quite a draw.

I would understand though about not being able to get to emergency situation out on the water quickly.

The offer still stands should you get a itch to go out for a sail

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1866 of 1896 Old 12-17-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Sorry to hear that, Gary. Do hang around here. Plenty of us enjoy our conversations with you.
Ditto what Ajax and the others have written. I've really enjoyed reading your contributions and regret not having sailed with you this year when you offered me the chance. I wish you health and happiness in the coming year.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #1867 of 1896 Old 12-17-2016

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words.

Gary
Gary, I never met you but I do think I know you a little. I always enjoyed reading about your adventures, in the present and in the past. Sometimes I don't agree with the positions you take but I always learn from them. I do hope you stick around here!
post #1868 of 1896 Old 12-17-2016

Thanks guys, and I promise, I will stick around as long as I can still contribute.

All the best,

Gary
baywater likes this.
post #1869 of 1896 Old 12-17-2016

Sorry to hear that as well Gary.

Take care.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #1870 of 1896 Old 12-17-2016

Gary, you're like family, and we look forward to your continuing presence here for all of your many remaining years.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in