2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016
美國佬

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I was able to get one coat of varnish on my sliding hatch and cockpit seat locker covers already. This will definitely make it easier to replace the deck beams and recore the deck before setting off in May on another tour of the southern parts of the bay. I also found this gem to work on in my spare time: FREE - Historic 1925 Catboat 20 ft I'll do my taxes after getting the abovementioned done.
T37Chef likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Three days ago, I power washed the topsides of Saturday's Child, blasted away the bird poop, spider poop and a winter of accumulated crud. Today, I went to the marina to wash the hull before applying the Poly-Glow finish if and when we get a warm day next week. Well, not surprisingly, the birds decided to roost on my rigging and the decks were once again covered with bird poop. Think I'll have to put out my osprey wind sock before the boat even goes in the water - it worked quite well last season until it got tangled in the rigging.

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
oysterman23 likes this.
post #233 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016
美國佬

I"ve had problems with herons using my boom as a perch (when I had the sail on it), so I ran a very thin line from the end of the boom to the mast, about 4 inches above the boom/sailcover, and that stopped all that crap. (Er, that is, that made the foredeck their crapping place of choice instead.) I don't have an inflatable osprey - I wonder if a shopping bag tied loosely to a shroud would do in a pinch.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

post #234 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Might work - give it a try.

Gary
post #235 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Dock

We've done it - @punahougirl84 and I are the proud new owners of Kaimana, a 1984 Beneteau First 38.

Looking forward to exploring the Chesapeake Bay, learning about cruising (vice racing) and getting to know our new-to-us boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #236 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Post some pics!!
punahougirl84 likes this.

1992 Catalina 42 "Ankyra"
1988 Catalina 30 TRFK "Bare Feet"
1974 Catalina 22 swing keel "O'really!"
post #237 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congratulations to you both. Great boat. I remember how excited your wife was about buying it when we spoke.

Look for Haleakula out on the bay. Hawaiian names stick together. Together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #238 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss30 View Post
Post some pics!!
I'll do that once I get the chance to scale some pics down to size to fit here, or create an album and post there.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #239 of 1896 Old 03-30-2016

Yes, we now have a boat (OMG WE BOUGHT A BOAT!!! BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!!!) and I'm spending much of my time trying to attend to all the things that need doing - and getting the people we need to do them! We made the offer back in January - we didn't expect to be trying to get things replaced and repaired when everyone ELSE was doing the same thing!

I'm spoiled, coming from a place where the sailing season is 12 months long. I have a lot to learn about sailing here.

Hopefully we have someone set to do a bunch of the initial things on the Essential Repairs list - we have the primary estimates but need to nail them down and see what else we'll do. I've gotten a quote on running rigging from WM but should probably get a couple others. I need to find out what we can do through Fawcett during the 30 day commissioning-discounts phase. Meanwhile the place recommended to work on the Perkins 4108 isn't getting back to me, so I may have to move on to the other option tomorrow.

We are very lucky in that the former owner's brother is happy to let us keep the boat in his private slip while we are working things out. Hopefully we can get the engine list dealt with, probably take the boat to Port Annapolis to get some work done (First Mate Yacht Services), then bring her to her new home at MDYC (and thanks to both Dave and Shawn who were generous with their time in helping me figure out where we should go).

We'll take the kids to see her on Friday hopefully (I need to work on my To Do list and get some information). Two of the three are excited. The third continues to remind me how he feels about heeling. All I can think of is hey, you kids are my minions, we have a mainsail to clean up (I'd never seen mud wasp nests on a sail - not a nice way to treat a North mainsail!). And I spent some time today watching a Sailrite video on installing a window in a bimini (one needs replacing - I can do it, but I'm not sure if my home sewing machine can handle it).

My brain is exploding LOL! Here is a photo from her listing - it's not super current, as her bottom paint is now red.

T37Chef, JSL3, chef2sail and 3 others like this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 03-31-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: To add photo, and to correct a typo
post #240 of 1896 Old 03-31-2016

Buon vento..... fair winds👍

Inviato dal mio SM-G7102 utilizzando Tapatalk

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in