SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/237049-2016-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

FSMike 01-07-2016 11:04 AM

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Sorry to change the subject, but there's something I don't quite understand.
Why is this type of thread a sticky instead of a plain old garden variety thread?
Thanks

jsaronson 01-07-2016 11:34 AM

I'm happy with Trinidad SR, but it is hideously expensive. Got 2 seasons with an ocsassional dive. It is NOT ablative.

CLOSECALL 01-07-2016 12:19 PM

Micron CSC black. Two seasons with one winter in the water. I'm at Point Lookout.

For what it's worth, the Coast Guard paints there bottoms black.

chef2sail 01-07-2016 12:39 PM

Ultima 60
3 seasons with two dives each summer

Ajax_MD 01-07-2016 01:16 PM

Chef's suggestion about the Ultima bears looking into.
I use CSC Micron Extra in "shark white". I get 3 years, left in the water continuously with occasional wipedowns. The light color lets you see how much fuzz has accumulated.

oldlaxer1 01-07-2016 02:28 PM

Thanks guys. The Ultima 60 looks like a good choice. At about $250.00 a gallon it ought to be huh?

Ajax_MD 01-07-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 3260065)
Sorry to change the subject, but there's something I don't quite understand.
Why is this type of thread a sticky instead of a plain old garden variety thread?
Thanks

Mike, I think they do this every year. It's sort of the "gathering thread" where we all gab about what we're doing or going to do, this season.

travlin-easy 01-07-2016 07:06 PM

I know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna spend much of my remaining life on the water, drink lots of Margarettas, sing to young women, then sail to the Florida Keys and continue doing the same. Now that's a plan. :)

Gary :cool:

scratchee 01-07-2016 11:29 PM

I went out New Years day for a sail. I thought it would be a neat tradition to start. The weather was beautiful! Unfortunately, I couldn't get my engine started (first time it cost me a day of sailing). The upside is that over the next few days I learned a lot about my engine, checked my points, installed a new set of plugs...and rediscovered the bulb primer that the PO surely showed me, which finally allowed her to start right up. Since I enjoy working on the boat about as much as actually sailing the boat, I have no complaints.

To top it all off, I finally got the anti-freeze in one day when it was 55 degrees, and the next day it was 25 degrees.

Cheers everyone, have a great year.

PalmettoSailor 01-09-2016 09:38 AM

I'm going back to using Hydrocoat. I'm a DIY'er and Hydrocoat is much less onerous to work with than other bottom paint formulations and I have enough personal experience and anecdotal evidence from dock mates to know it works just as well as any ablative product I am aware of (IE the bottom will need attention at least once or twice a season, or you'll be really slow).

Using Hydrocoat, PCA and Ultima SR, I found I typically get 2 - 3 seasons between paintings, hauling out for winters. On my 36 foot boat 2 gallons will do 2 coats with some left over for touch up on the off year.