2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 37 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 1896 Old 04-16-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We are anchored in Town Cove, off the Tred Avon and Choptank River.

Was a beautiful sail today. Good wind till later in the afternoon. We sailed down to the Choptank and part of the way to the Tred Avon and motored the last 3 miles to Town Creek off of Oxford. Dinghy is inflated yet so we didn't go ashore

Id picked up some nice fresh red grouper from Wegmans for dinner on the grill with a fresh mandarin/ black bean/ ginger/ and green onion salsa , pencil thin asparagus/ roasted garlic and homemade red bliss dill potato salad. Grilled pineapple for desert. Nice Cakebread Pinot Noir to sip

We're were treated to a beautiful sunset. No boats, no bugs, just peace and quiet all day. Great time of the year. Good day with just my wife and I.

Looks like we may have to pull out a get fresh bottom paint as our Ultima 60 is on its fourth year and the fiver said most is gone and we are down to the barrier coat in places. Will try and wait until End of May after all the boats are in. We found a great yard who does it on Whitehall Creek much cheaper than almost everyone else except Old Rhode Bay where 4arch kept his boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Careful with that advice. Against the law to catch a rockfish and cook it without bringing it to land.

A friend of ours on a sailboat caught a rockfish a few years ago while at anchor in Dunn Cove and was preparing gutting it for dinner....it was legal length. He was suprised when just as he was about to grill it the DNR pulled up alongside him. Evidently they were watching and saw him catch the fish. Even though it was legal size he couldn't prove it. They fined him and confiscated it. Sounds draconian I know but it truly happened. Talk about the long arm of the law and intruding. They don't have enough to do
Wow, that's unbelievable. I guess you need to keep handy a bunch of polaroids of legal-size fish just in case.
I wish they were that diligent about enforcing no wake zones and just reckless boating in general.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 04-17-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #363 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I'm so bad at fishing that I couldn't catch a cold.
T37Chef likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #364 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Wow, that's unbelievable. I guess you need to keep handy a bunch of polaroids of legal-size fish just in case.
I wish they were that diligent about enforcing no wake zones and just reckless boating in general.
Yeah I know. When he told me his story I thought it was an April fools joke. They should be out there looking for netters and people who really abuse the rules.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #365 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

Launch day today...wish me luck! If I splash early enough and everything goes off without a hitch, I'll probably deliver the boat to the new marina this afternoon.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #366 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

Qyou all should thank me and send me a big fat check in gratitude.

I drug all that cold air and roaring wind South outta the Chesapeake down to Pamlico Sound.

Friday we had consisten 25 with gusts to 30 and still bloody cold.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #367 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yeah I know. When he told me his story I thought it was an April fools joke. They should be out there looking for netters and people who really abuse the rules.
I heard that story before (possibly from you here on SN).

In case I should ever catch a rockfish, do you know what counts as 'landing the fish?' Would it be enough to bring it in the dinghy to the beach, step on the sand and go back to the boat to fillet and grill it?
post #368 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

Shawn, that law was put in effect to combat illegal catches by the commercial hook and line industry where they caught undersized fish and only landed the fillets, thus making it impossible to determine if the fish were of legal size. However, there was a clause in that law that stipulated that you could fillet the catch onboard if the carcass was retained for a reasonable period of time, which I believe was 24 hours.

In this instance, if the angler would have retained the carcass, he could have proven the length of the fish was legal, and avoided a day in court.

All the best,

Gary
post #369 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016

A second beautiful day in a row. Bright deep blue sky, cool temps on the water. Wind came up after 11. We motored from Oxford down the Choptank and after we rounded Black Walnut Point were able to unfurl the genny and make 6 knots back up to Whitehall Bay. Many more boats out today.
Looks like some people have gotten back in the water this weekend.

Still learning our way in Whitehall Creek and was able to sail right up to the marina.

Gotta get the dinghy hooked up in the davits, but we're ahead of the game already this year. Would have been nice to head in to Oxford last night for gelato/ ice cream

All in all a great weekend. Will make work almost bearable this week

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #370 of 1896 Old 04-17-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Lots of fishing with the first day of Rockfish season opening... I should have trolled a line! ...
My goodness. Where in here did Shawn say he DID fish or was advising others to fish?
T37Chef likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in