2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Just got off the telephone with Maryland Department of Natural Resources Natural Resources Police. I talked with an old friend there who said "Well, that's the current law, but if you live aboard the boat, and you're anchored out, I doubt that this will be a problem if you retain the carcass for at least 24 hours. I would anticipate that most of the NRP Waterways Patrolmen would be somewhat lenient if you were to provide them with a carcass that measured above the legal minimum size limit, which would prove the fish were of legal size when filleted. After that, you would have consumed the evidence."

I told him that I intended to live aboard all summer, then head south to the Florida keys this winter, and he said "Damned, I really envy you - I would love to make that trip." He also said the law only pertained to striped bass and that you can legally fillet any other species of fish caught from your boat without landing it. From my expience, I believe most species of fish are better tasting than striped bass. Personally, I would take a tautog, spotted seatrout, croaker, snapper bluefish, swelling toad, weakfish, white perch, yellow perch, cobia or Spanish mackerel over striped bass any day of the week. And, for those in the middle and upper reaches of the Potomac River, northern snakehead is considered as a delicacy.

punahougirl84, when you get to Port Annapolis Marina, ask for Mario. He's their top marine mechanic and a member of this forum. He can fix things other folks cannot, and does an outstanding job of doing this in a timely manner.

All the best,

Gary
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Last edited by travlin-easy; 04-18-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (04-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

For rigging, I would contact Dave at Bosun Yacht Services while you're at Port A. Once you get to Rock Creek, you could contact Ken at Oak Harbor Marina.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4arch For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (04-18-2016)
post #383 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

Launched yesterday at Old Bay and sailed across the Patapsco to Rock Creek with 5-7 knots of wind on a close reach. Great to be under sail again! It was so nice I took a couple tacks out toward the Bay. Found a little water under the dripless shaft seal and in the engine sump after I shut off the engine - hope it's just a symptom of launching and not the whole seal starting to fail. Also have a minor diesel leak whose source I can't find for the life of me other than that I'm certain it's from the engine and not the tank. Need to do some sleuthing on that one.

Anyway, I made it over to Fairview and got tied up at the new slip. I think we'll like the slip although I have some fiddling around with the lifelines to do to make boarding easier with the short finger piers. I might add pelican hooks where the lifelines meet the stern rail. Always another project - but still looking forward to getting the decks swabbed, the water system commissioned, spending our first night of the season aboard, and, of course, doing some more sailing.
T37Chef, chef2sail and travlineasy like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30

post #384 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016
美國佬

I took my mast down yesterday, with help from some great neighbors, so it's adios to the 2016 sailing season, at least for the foreseeable future.

[IMG][/IMG]

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #385 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

Willy, what's going on with the mast? I thought you were set for the season.

Gary
post #386 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Willy, what's going on with the mast? I thought you were set for the season.

Gary
Bulkhead issues, I think there is another thread about it.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #387 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

WOW! Bummer. Well, you can always go with me on your days off - I'll be spending the entire summer on the bay this year.

Gary
post #388 of 1896 Old 04-18-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I just double checked the law pertaining to striped bass. Apparently, the legislature rescinded the part about retaining the carcass and the fish can only be landed whole and it is illegal to fillet it aboard the boat. I wonder how that law applies to those living aboard, though? Gotta make some more phone calls about this one.

Gary
Striped Bass |*Maryland Fishing Guide | eRegulations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #389 of 1896 Old 04-19-2016
美國佬

Quote:
WOW! Bummer. Well, you can always go with me on your days off - I'll be spending the entire summer on the bay this year.

Gary
Thanks, I may take you up on the offer, especially if there's fishing involved. I've never caught a tautog or a flounder.

My boat's got waterlogged decks, decomposing mast beams, and bulkheads that need replacing.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #390 of 1896 Old 04-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Launched yesterday at Old Bay and sailed across the Patapsco to Rock Creek with 5-7 knots of wind on a close reach. Great to be under sail again! It was so nice I took a couple tacks out toward the Bay. Found a little water under the dripless shaft seal and in the engine sump after I shut off the engine - hope it's just a symptom of launching and not the whole seal starting to fail. Also have a minor diesel leak whose source I can't find for the life of me other than that I'm certain it's from the engine and not the tank. Need to do some sleuthing on that one.

Anyway, I made it over to Fairview and got tied up at the new slip. I think we'll like the slip although I have some fiddling around with the lifelines to do to make boarding easier with the short finger piers. I might add pelican hooks where the lifelines meet the stern rail. Always another project - but still looking forward to getting the decks swabbed, the water system commissioned, spending our first night of the season aboard, and, of course, doing some more sailing.
So jealous...I still have 9 boats in the way before I can launch and 6 of them haven't seen any signs of work being done. That's what I get for working my a.. off to get her ready to launch in early April.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in