2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 47 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 1896 Old 04-27-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Thanks - I did have a photo that shows the keel is deeper. But it's still smart to consider that.

I'm back to obsessing over lines - I didn't realize Bacon carries VPC - I hope they have it in stock for my halyards, as the price shown is really good. I also realized that while the jib halyards measured 7/16, the spin halyard appears to be 3/8. Assuming there's nothing wrong with that diameter, that will save some money too. I'm going back and forth between XLS and Sta-Set for the mainsheet and some other potential future line changes (the previous owner bought 7/16 Sta-Set for the jib sheets - recently enough to not need replacing). Defender has XLS at a good price, and Bacon has the Sta-Set which costs a little more. For a good reason? The foreguy is missing, as are spinnaker sheets (just a gennaker on board). There's no boom vang though we may go with a rigid vang. There's no cunningham either. Maybe that's a cruising thing to have no vang or downhaul?

We met another new-to-him boat owner of a Saga 43' - he's also getting work done in preparation to go either right or left out of the marina when he leaves with his wife. I recommended right/South which HAD been the plan but then things take time and the list gets added to LOL. He was really nice - when it looked like we were stuck without a ride, he offered one right away.

So far, the sailing community around here has been really great - I wish I could bake banana bread for everyone!
johnny buddha likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
So far, the sailing community around here has been really great - I wish I could bake banana bread for everyone!
I do that myself. I make banana bread for work once in a while. It never lasts very long.

So far, the weather forecast shows a lot of rain coming up. Started a little on the way into work this morning. Sunday is my boat day and supposed to be storming. I still expect to be down in Deale at the boat getting some work done. Plenty to keep me busy for quite a while.
punahougirl84 likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #463 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016

Quote:
Thanks - I did have a photo that shows the keel is deeper. But it's still smart to consider that.

I'm back to obsessing over lines - I didn't realize Bacon carries VPC - I hope they have it in stock for my halyards, as the price shown is really good. I also realized that while the jib halyards measured 7/16, the spin halyard appears to be 3/8. Assuming there's nothing wrong with that diameter, that will save some money too. I'm going back and forth between XLS and Sta-Set for the mainsheet and some other potential future line changes (the previous owner bought 7/16 Sta-Set for the jib sheets - recently enough to not need replacing). Defender has XLS at a good price, and Bacon has the Sta-Set which costs a little more. For a good reason? The foreguy is missing, as are spinnaker sheets (just a gennaker on board). There's no boom vang though we may go with a rigid vang. There's no cunningham either. Maybe that's a cruising thing to have no vang or downhaul?

We met another new-to-him boat owner of a Saga 43' - he's also getting work done in preparation to go either right or left out of the marina when he leaves with his wife. I recommended right/South which HAD been the plan but then things take time and the list gets added to LOL. He was really nice - when it looked like we were stuck without a ride, he offered one right away.

When you look at lines, don't go too small to save money. Modern materials are ridiculously strong, so the limit how small you can go is not the load but the diameter that you can still handle with your hands. Too small can hurt a lot and injure you. Try out what is comfortable for you.

post #464 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016

punahougirl84,

Were you able to catch up with Mario at Port Annapolis?

Gary
post #465 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016

Oh I definitely won't be going too small with line diameters (besides, the last thing I want is for the self-tailing winches to not, you know, tail!). I wear gloves too. I'm just waiting to hear back from Bacon on what they have in stock. I appreciate the advice.

Daniel - Saturday looks dry! I'm hoping to do boat stuff with the family that day. Go pick up halyards, take another look at the list, etc.

Gary - We got to Port A later than planned, then we were waiting for people to meet us at the boat, so we didn't actually meet anyone from the marina. I did write his name down and appreciate the recommendation. We won't make it back there until Saturday.

I'm loving the rain that's washing away pollen, but wondering what won't get done on the boat due to the rain LOL!

Lee :-)

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 04-28-2016 at 02:45 PM.
post #466 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Saga 43 on my short list for our final boat. Great Robert Perry cruiser with lots of speed. Might have to go for that as the Mason 44 are hard to find which is my number pick.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #467 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016
Sailor

Any thoughts on a 2016 Chesapeake Bay Rendezvous? last year was my first one and had fun.
post #468 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
Any thoughts on a 2016 Chesapeake Bay Rendezvous? last year was my first one and had fun.
Can this discussion be put in a separate thread?

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #469 of 1896 Old 04-28-2016

Sure!
post #470 of 1896 Old 04-29-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Oh I definitely won't be going too small with line diameters (besides, the last thing I want is for the self-tailing winches to not, you know, tail!). I wear gloves too. I'm just waiting to hear back from Bacon on what they have in stock. I appreciate the advice.

Daniel - Saturday looks dry! I'm hoping to do boat stuff with the family that day. Go pick up halyards, take another look at the list, etc.

Gary - We got to Port A later than planned, then we were waiting for people to meet us at the boat, so we didn't actually meet anyone from the marina. I did write his name down and appreciate the recommendation. We won't make it back there until Saturday.

I'm loving the rain that's washing away pollen, but wondering what won't get done on the boat due to the rain LOL!

Lee :-)
P-girl:

Although I'm a huge supporter of Bacon's (I'm pretty sure I've paid for Gary's kid's college tuition by now) I wanted to let you know that West Marine is having a 40% off sale on all line, today only (Friday).

You might want to run some comparisons on the web.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
johnny buddha (04-29-2016), punahougirl84 (04-29-2016)

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in